Thread: cleaning rust off cylinder wall

Hybrid booster

cleaning rust off cylinder wall

long story short, i just bought a low mile engine that has been sitting for nearly 10 years, was removed by the owner and sat in his yard ever since
    i pulled the head and didn't turn the engine yet, block looks all good, nice crosshatch, except theres some rust in cylinder 2 how can i clean this off without damaging the bore? really dont want to pull the piston and hone since its only a small spot

on the left in this picture

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: cleaning rust off cylinder wall

IMO that amount of rust is no big deal, I'd scrub it off with some scotchbrite and Marvel or similar, however nothing about that shortblock says low milage to me. The bores are shiney, yeah you still have crosshatch but Ive motors with miles with over 275k that still have crosshatch. I'd mic the bores, check the bearings and check the ring gap, Yeah, ya gotta pull the pan and pistons to do all that but compared to pulling the head its pretty minimal.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    IMO that amount of rust is no big deal, I'd scrub it off with some scotchbrite and Marvel or similar, however nothing about that shortblock says low milage to me. The bores are shiney, yeah you still have crosshatch but Ive motors with miles with over 275k that still have crosshatch. I'd mic the bores, check the bearings and check the ring gap, Yeah, ya gotta pull the pan and pistons to do all that but compared to pulling the head its pretty minimal.
    Same here. I usually try to use some Kroil when wiping stuff like that down.

Hybrid booster

cleaned and turned it , its got rust where the rings where sitting on #1 so i will be rebuilding it sometime in the future, this will be my first one so i'll learn alot from it

it appears there was water sitting in the intake for awhile (engine laying on the ground on its back) when i t was turned upright it made it throuh the partially open valves