Thread: Vacuum line/emission system questions

Hybrid booster

Vacuum line/emission system questions

I am getting close to doing the vacuum lines on my 86 Shelby Charger. I want to keep the setup as simple as possible. My questions are: Does anybody have a vacuum diagram I can use showing only what is essentially needed? What is a simple PCV setup? What is a simple evaporative emissions setup? Can I eliminate EGR without setting any light/codes and for that matter will eliminating any of these systems set any lights/codes?
    Last edited by RattFink; 08-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.

turbo addict

Re: Vacuum line/emission system questions

I have an 85 glht and use a fwd LM. I have 1 line to the map, 1 to bov, 1 to wastegate, 1 to fpr. No evap and no egr I get no codes.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

yeah you only need 1 to map, one to fpr, one to bov and one for boost control for all the small line stuff.

then you should have some breather/PCV setup. lines that are larger.

i prefer (2) 5/8" breather tubes to the valve cover (cast TBI cover is perfect for this) and then the PCV line from the intake manifold to the valve cover to do a little draw when the engine is in vacuum.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hybrid booster

So ill just vent the fuel tank to the air somewhere out back and remove all the evap junk. Do I need to use any of the solenoids on the rh fender? Does the map line need to go to one of those solenoids first? Ill search the forum for some pcv setup pics.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    So ill just vent the fuel tank to the air somewhere out back and remove all the evap junk. Do I need to use any of the solenoids on the rh fender? Does the map line need to go to one of those solenoids first? Ill search the forum for some pcv setup pics.
    You don't need to use the solenoids on the fender. I do like to use the baro read solenoid as it's a good idea especially if you live in an area with elevation changes.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_vacuum.html

here are factory diagrams. these show the solenoid before the map (baro read solenoid)

typically the other two solenoids on the fender area are the purge solenoid (for the charcoal canister and vent line from the fuel tank) and the boost control solenoid.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

What kind of condition are the charcoal caninster and associated bundle of hoses in, visually? Would you be interested in selling them?

Hybrid booster

They are in pretty good shape, but I want to keep them around as I think someday down the road I will want to do a factory restore on this car. I'm getting back into the car lately so I may be doing the vacuum lines here within the next week and may report back here with more questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    What kind of condition are the charcoal caninster and associated bundle of hoses in, visually? Would you be interested in selling them?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    yeah you only need 1 to map, one to fpr, one to bov and one for boost control for all the small line stuff.

then you should have some breather/PCV setup. lines that are larger.

i prefer (2) 5/8" breather tubes to the valve cover (cast TBI cover is perfect for this) and then the PCV line from the intake manifold to the valve cover to do a little draw when the engine is in vacuum.

Brian
    Looking at the diagram there are all kinds of check valves and orifices. Do I need any of that? I can just run straight lines to the map, waste gate, fpr, and bov. Does a stock 86 T1 have a bov?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The log TI cars don't need a BOV since they are not a blow through car.

I don't use any check valves or orifices, I just run individual lines to most things.

Looking at the diagram there are all kinds of check valves and orifices. Do I need any of that? I can just run straight lines to the map, waste gate, fpr, and bov. Does a stock 86 T1 have a bov?
    the only one that i might use orifices with is the boost control so that the ecu controlled boost tables dont need re-calibration.

if you are using a manual boost controller or feel like tinkering, then delete them.

Brian

Hybrid booster

Ok, after looking at the diagram again and reading through this thread I have a good idea of how to run everything. Next question, which solenoid is which out of the 4 on the passenger side fender? I plan on using the boost control and Map/baro. EGR and EVAP will be removed, and PCV setup will be simple.

i usually take a look at a wiring diagram for the wire colors to figure out which solenoid is which.

Brian