Thread: Charging system problems

Hybrid booster

Charging system problems

Hey guys,

I'm having some charging issues on my Omni. It's a 1986 GLH, with a 1988 Shelby Z engine. Still has a LM and PM. My issues started the other day on my way home from work. Everytime I would go over 3500rpm, the engine would cut out and sputter. I checked under the hood and noticed the eyelet that goes onto the altenator (the one that goes into the receded channel looking thing) had snapped off. I replaced it by cutting off the old wire and putting a new eyelet on the end of it. Started the car and it did the same thing, the guage showing my electric charging flow thingy was going down, not charging at all. So i took the altenator out and drove up to advance auto for them to test it. It failed twice and I got a part number for a new one, but they didnt have it at that particular store, so i drove my truck to the other store and had them test the altenator at that store and again, it failed 2 times. So I got my new altnator and headed back to the house, put it on the car, tightened up the belt, and tried starting the car. The battery was too dead to turn it over so I resorted to push starting it. Once running, the car started running a little rough and the battery guage again started to go down. I let it idel for about 2 minutes, including giving it a little rev up to 3500 where it still cut out. My power loss light came on and stayed on until I shut the car off.

Codes: 12, 15, 16, 42, 47, 55

Looking them up, I noticed that it keeps referencing fusible link, I don't even know where to look for them...

turbo addict

Re: Charging system problems

Fuseable links are back towards the drives side strut tower and when they fail the wire inside them that when it fails the outer shielding is still there. You can pull it and it will feel just like a rubber band. Give a tug on them and see if any of them stretch like a rubber band