Thread: Managed to screw myself. Help please

boostaholic

Managed to screw myself. Help please

Hi dudes. 85 Lebaron 2.2 tbi auto.

Had a voltage regulator wired in. It failed, and to get home I was going to ground out whatever wire made the alternator full-field, because I know it's good. Anyway, I grounded out the wrong one. Saw smoke, didn't catch it before the car died. Smells like I cooked the PM. Tugged on all the fusible links and they all seem okay.

Has anyone done this before? Looks like a PM issue?

Turning the key to run or start does nothing. Still have lights radio etc.

I may have a PM Kicking around from an 85 2.2 turbo. Will it work?
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

boostaholic

Re: Managed to screw myself. Help please

Power top non-functional as well.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

boostaholic

I lied. Radio does not work.

Seems like everything on the ignition circuit.

boostaholic

Windows do work though... Odd.

turbo addict

Sounds like you killed a fusible link. Start tugging on them and find the stretchy one.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

I was under the impression that all of the PM's are the same...at least all the "later" ones.

I would also check the biggest of the fusible links...heck i'd be persistent...it really has to be a main feed wire...

CG

boostaholic

I don't think it's a fusible link. I tugged on all of them pretty hard (bazingaaaa) Pretty sure it's the PM. Hope I've got another one.

boostaholic

Okay. So it was a fusible link. Ha.

Is there a way to figure out what amperage it was so I can wire in a fuse? The wiring loom was cooked and I can't see what was on it.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

There is a chart on Russ Knize's Minimopar site with the amperage rating of the fuse links by color.

http://www.minimopar.net/electrical-links.html

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I believe the ratings are listed in the FSMs too, just in case someone finds themselves out in the shop without computer access.

I've also read that the power modules will interchange between turbo and TBI cars, but I've never tried it.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I just recently replaced a fuse link on a Spirit R/T....just so you know if you decide to replace with another fuse link, the fusible link wire that NAPA sells are different colors than factory. I blew out an original orange fuse link and the correct amperage replacement was bright blue from NAPA.

I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if the TBI and Turbo Power Modules are the same considering that the Turbo version had an additional injector driver over the TBI stuff.