Thread: Rwd Daytonas

Garrett booster

Rwd Daytonas

Does anyone have any info on the Mopar/direct connection rwd conversion kits for the g body's? I would Like to get some more info on it.

Thanks

Hybrid booster

Re: Rwd Daytonas

Schumacher makes them

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.engine-swaps.com/

Might have to call them, but I'm 99.9% sure it was them I saw at Carlisle with a blue 5.7 Hemi swapped G-body.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

The DC kit was basically a k-member, with a lot of fab work left to do. IMO the DC kit was not the best quality or how I would do it.

I think Jason H in Paw Paw had a Daytona rolling chassis with one in it?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Kenny from Exline would be your best bet. I'm sure if you do a search you'll find it here on the forums.

Hybrid booster

Yep...just found the card. Lol

Exline Custom Auto. 717-573-2811.

exlinecustomauto@frontiernet.net

Exlinecustomauto.com

All the info from his card that I got in 2010. Lol

Garrett booster

Sweet thanks guys!

boostaholic

Here's one that shows up at Car Craft Summer Nationals each year, very clean car!

Hybrid booster

I used Kenny's kit to do my car. He does awesome work. http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/daytonaconversions.html
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Hybrid booster

That was actually Kenny Exline's Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    Schumacher makes them

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.engine-swaps.com/

Might have to call them, but I'm 99.9% sure it was them I saw at Carlisle with a blue 5.7 Hemi swapped G-body.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

boostaholic

I really don't see an advantage in doing this, I have wore out more RWD V8's over the years with my FWD Turbo Mopars, If I wanted an 80's RWD V8 DodgeI would build a Dakota

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    I really don't see an advantage in doing this
    Quote Originally Posted by MILKCARTON View Post
    If I wanted an 80's RWD V8 DodgeI would build a Dakota
    Preach on. I have great respect for the fabrication skills in doing this cleanly (they're certainly skills I don't have), but I've honestly never really seen the point of it. Then again, I suppose that could be said about nearly any car modification.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Well I can see a few reasons to do this.

1. There's no doubt that RWD is the ideal configuration for drag racing if that's your thing.

2. Classic RWD Mopars are ridiculously priced, as are NOS and repop replacement parts. It's not uncommon to find a FWD Chrysler with a decent body and rot in places that would need to be cutout for a good RWD chassis anyway for dirt cheap, if you can get there before the crusher does.

3. Cutting up a classic RWD car to better suit it for competition duty can bring the Mopar resto nutjobs your house with pitchforks and torches.

4. Trucks aren't for everybody.

5. They just want to do it to have something a little different.

Those said, GM and Ford were still building RWD cars in the '80's and '90's, so if you're not hopelessly brand loyal, it certainly would make more sense to look elsewhere for good RWD chassis. The growing popularity of the LSX-powered Fox body is the best example of why somebody wouldn't bother with this conversion.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Well I can see a few reasons to do this.

1. There's no doubt that RWD is the ideal configuration for drag racing if that's your thing.

2. Classic RWD Mopars are ridiculously priced, as are NOS and repop replacement parts. It's not uncommon to find a FWD Chrysler with a decent body and rot in places that would need to be cutout for a good RWD chassis anyway for dirt cheap, if you can get there before the crusher does.

3. Cutting up a classic RWD car to better suit it for competition duty can bring the Mopar resto nutjobs your house with pitchforks and torches.

4. Trucks aren't for everybody.

5. They just want to do it to have something a little different.

Those said, GM and Ford were still building RWD cars in the '80's and '90's, so if you're not hopelessly brand loyal, it certainly would make more sense to look elsewhere for good RWD chassis. The growing popularity of the LSX-powered Fox body is the best example of why somebody wouldn't bother with this conversion.
    Yup, not to mention tubbed RWD Daytonas look badazz.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

The "Big Dawg" class at Monster Moapr should be renamed the "Dragster and Daytona" class since most of the door cars are 80's or newer (some neons and Avengers in there too) because they are way more aerodynamic than old muscle mopars...

I can see both sides of this topic...

I'm a purist and like my little under-appreciated FWD cars that as MILKCARTON inferred can hang with or handass to many a V8 RWD car.

I can understand the interest to fabricate and play with something RWD. Knowing the OP well and that his n/a neon has insulted many a RWD car on road courses and AutoX's, I'm guessing he's just toying with the idea for something to play with.

As of yesterday, I think he mgight have a new toy already tho

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
    Here's one that shows up at Car Craft Summer Nationals each year, very clean car!

Yes this is Bob Nelson's car (no relation). Another Bob Nelson I know has a incredible 70 Nova that is always at Car Craft too. Those two guys know each other!
    Believe it or not this Daytona is a 86! Bob with the Daytona has been working lots of bugs out of vehicle the past couple years. It is a very nicely done RWD conversion.