Thread: The Free 87 Horizon

Mitsu booster

The Free 87 Horizon

hello guys!. some of you have already read my idle issue thread, but i thought id post a project thread seeing as how a few mods ARE in store for this ride. got this little diamond in the rough from a friends dad for free. Bought new by my friends grandparents, it was VERY low optioned and well kept. now id say a good 20 years back this car was handed over to my friends dad who also maintained it mechanically but it was just a car for him. he said it started a sudden idle problem and he never could fix it. he acquired a low optioned 96 Neon also from the grandparents, so into the barn the horizon went. 10 years later.. here i am pulling it out. my girlfriend needs a small reliable daily that she doesnt have to gas up every 3 days like my 82 Mercury. i mentioned this to his dad.....

"if you can fix it and drive it outta here you can have it"

so i went to work. did the basic tune up stuffs. found the source of the idle issue. the entire screw was missing. but details of that are in my other post. still running rough but doesnt stall now. and i have just replaced the rubber brake lines up front because they were collapsed i believe. couldnt blow air through them so i figured... hey thats probably not good haha. so those are on, now we gotta bleed the brake all around and then test drive it

carb still needs adjusted pretty significantly

- - - Updated - - -

damn.... i just realized, i cant upload pics from my PC...

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: The Free 87 Horizon

What part of Northern Indiana are you from? I know there are a few of us around here. I would love to have a FWD Mopar get together some time. If you don't want to make it public, I understand. PM me. I love the L-bodies. I'll try and help all I can with you issues. Lost internet for a couple of days at home( whole town actually), so I haven't been able to upload the FSM pictures I promised you. I'll work on that tonight.

Keep posting, I would love to see progress. I have a build thread on the "other" site if you want to see my progress. I should start one here too.

Mitsu booster

thats great man! i would love to have a get together with fellow owners. im actually from Fort Wayne. if not, then hopefully we can just hang sometime and figure it out.

if you guys dont mind a 3 hr drive the buckeye sdac chapter meets in grafton oh jaysshelby is the club president

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by flight704 View Post
    if you guys dont mind a 3 hr drive the buckeye sdac chapter meets in grafton oh jaysshelby is the club president
    Thanks for the offer, I may try and take you up on it sometime. Shoot, I can't seem to find the time to make it to the Indy SDAC meets...

Hybrid booster

Fort wayne, eh? Same here. Good deal on thefree car, if you need parts, theres a tan horizon at take a part in new haven. Shoot me a pm with your number and we can chat

Mitsu booster

After quite some time im getting slowly back into fiximg this thing. We gutted the entire engine bay.the only left in there is a and engine and an alternator. Theres no more smog no nothing. Worked out the carb im gonma run The issue im at now is how to make the distributor work. Can I retain the engine computer to ONLY make the spark control work?

Im also I need of the shift linkages. The plastic end have wobbled out on mine. Anyone know of a diy fix. Or an aftermarket alternative? Parts stores and rock auto seem to be a letdown

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by horizon_87_withneons View Post
    Im also I need of the shift linkages. The plastic end have wobbled out on mine. Anyone know of a diy fix. Or an aftermarket alternative? Parts stores and rock auto seem to be a letdown
    http://www.greatlakeshotrod.com/Grea..._For_Sale.html

Shameless self promotion, but our linkage kits are the fix for your shifting issues.

You can buy a kit and do it your self, or ship uus your linkage and well overhaul it for you.