Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Billet Transfer Gears

Garrett booster

New Billet Transfer Gears

I really haven't posted much on here, but I figured I would share these. Just had them made, ratio comes in at 1.05.

turbo addict

Re: New Billet Transfer Gears

Pretty sweet, what are they going in?

I'm not too far from you, I'm over on the other side of Cambridge near piedmont lake.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Yea, they turned out pretty nice. Billet ring and pinion's are next, working on billet drums as well. It's going in my 1ST gen, fastest the car has been is 9.87@153 last year. Been struggling with getting the car to launch this year.

Yea, Cambridge isn't far at all.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Those are some beefy gears!! What's the ratio?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Nice!

Speed gears for the manual transmissions next perhaps ?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

at first I thought they were straight 90* cut but then noticed they are pitched.. how bad do you think they might whine ( I'm guessing it'll sound like a supercharger)?
    and are you making anymore sets?
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Garrett booster

The gear ratio is 1.05.

I don't think so lol, I'm an auto person. Liberty gears offers a dog box for the T850 now.

Yea, they are still helical cut. I wanted them left that way for strength. They should not be as loud as a straight cut gear, but with less teeth there will be added noise. I have a couple sets, I did enough to do a spare trans for myself and have some left over.

Garrett booster

Wow, they are strong looking! They remind me of gears out of a dump truck transmission. Many happy launches with those!

Bill

turbo addict

What would be sweet is to have hubs with no teeth made up, then have some gears with different ratios made that would bolt to those hubs. Maybe even a modified cover to make gear changes easier. (AKA quick change) Nice looking gears BTW!

Why not 1.22 or something in between.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Could you make something higher like 1.3 or 1.4? I'd be interested in that...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Yea, the quick change idea would be cool if someone could make it reality. But I don't think it's going to happen.

The 1.22 is not a optima ratio for a 24.5 tire setup, I think the factory 1.22's are popular because they hold up. So far the lower the ratio, the faster the car goes.

I have a set of straight cut gears for an all motor setup, but they might be higher than what you posted.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

So far, I've found the opposite to be true - I picked up when I swapped to the 1.22's (originally with 22" slicks), and I picked up again when I put the 24.5" slicks on. I really thought I'd lose some top end, but the 24.5's are so much better off the line that it more than makes up for the apparent loss of gear ratio.

1.22 x 2.86 (3.50 FD) is what I'm running with 24.5's and I'm only just getting to ~5400 rpm at the finish line. I have a spare trans waiting to be assembled that will have the 3.05 R/P and another set of 1.22's for a 3.73 overall FD. I think that actually will work well for me, if I can keep from blowing the tires away on the line. Should bump me up to about 5800rpm crossing.

1.3 or 1.4 transfer gears would give me even more FD, but I'd need to go to 26" tires to really make use of it.

Of course, my car is a little different from most. I'm running a stock Mitsu turbo, so spool is not a problem. I don't need a bunch of load off the line to make boost.

I have a set of straight cut gears for an all motor setup, but they might be higher than what you posted.
    Interested !!
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

My Son's Shadow with 1.22's and 23" M&H's picked up 4/10's of a second and added 3 to 4 MPH....

No other changes, we've been beating on this car for 5 years....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Just had them made, ratio comes in at 1.05.

MmmmKay, I'll ask: How much $$$??

Garrett booster

Well big factor is the setup of the car and the power it's making, and the weight of the car wrong ratio can defiantly hurt the cars times . My car has a 72mm precision and going through the traps 8800rpm, power isn't falling off. So when we lower the ratio it picks up. I have experience with the 1.22 gears, billet 1.09's, and factory 1.04's. So I picked something between the 1.09 and 1.04.
    I'll PM pricing, since I'm not a vendor.

Here's the the straight cut gears they are 1.71.

turbo addict

Man those look heavy! What is their weight versus stock? What material? Any post machining treatments?

If you can do billet ring and pinions, I'd bet there are some 5-speed guys that would be interested in that. It wouldn't be much different than what you already have to do for the auto.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

From the looks of it, I'd say it's about as light (or is that heavy?) as the stockers.... Is there a prize for who gets the closest?...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

They are close to the factory gears, them being a bit heavier won't affect anything. I run the DCR 1.09's which are a good bit heavier than these ones without zero issues. I used a case hardened 8620 gear material, which up my cost 30% over the cheaper material alone. I wanted to make a quality piece and make it last. The gears go through a heat treat after machining.
    Yea I could look into it, how many?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    Man those look heavy! What is their weight versus stock? What material? Any post machining treatments?

If you can do billet ring and pinions, I'd bet there are some 5-speed guys that would be interested in that. It wouldn't be much different than what you already have to do for the auto.
    But we would also start asking for tapered bearings :P win win win!

I saw Kevin Van Natten (red sled) posting about wanting some billet transfer gears. I saw he had a bunch of billet stuff made but was still not happy. I know not all neon guys get along.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    But we would also start asking for tapered bearings :P win win win!

I saw Kevin Van Natten (red sled) posting about wanting some billet transfer gears. I saw he had a bunch of billet stuff made but was still not happy. I know not all neon guys get along.

I know Kevin very well, I have the sled here with me in OH. We are actually partners on a lot of the stuff for the trans. 300M output shafts, 300M input shafts, over-sized 3rd gear piston, billet side covers, ect.... I use his car and mine to get the data on what we can improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast