Thread: Bad Spindle?

Hybrid booster

Bad Spindle?

So over the winter I noticed my rear wheel bearings were a little loose on my 85 GLH-T. I pulled them apart and the races and rollers all looked great so I repacked them and reset the spindle nut following the correct procedure. Afterwards I still noticed a ever so slight amount of play (enough to feel in your hands but not really visible) I went through the process again with the same result, and decided maybe I just need new bearings. I did the first autocross on the old bearing and afterwards i could tell they had loosened up some. I go new bearings and pressed in the new races. After packing and reassembly I noticed again that their was a tiny bit of free play. After another autocross I again noticed more freeplay. So now I am basically re setting the axle nut after every autocross or every 1000 miles to take up the slack.

I am wondering if the spindle is just worn out and its actually the play between the inner race and the spindle I am feeling. Anyone else have to replace spindles before?

Thanks in advance.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Bad Spindle?

You know the step when you torque the nut down to set the bearings then loosen it so it can spin? Does it have play when everything is torqued down? If so, then yes, there is play somewhere else. If not, then the play is in the bearings/setup.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I replaced one of the spindles on my Daytona shortly after I bought it, but that's because it was definately trashed. The bearings were incredibly loose on both rears. I replaced the bearings and the one spindle, even went to great lengths to track down bearings that were American made. A week later, they were loose again. When I had the car aligned (three times in as many years), the mechanics had shim the rears, which included readjusting the bearings. It got to the point where I was repacking and readjusting them every oil change, but finally it just stopped loosening up. I never did figure out why. I did new wheel bearings on both my Charger and my old Daytona when I did the rear disc conversions, and never had to touch them again.

The hubs and drums are the pieces that get repetative heat/cool cycles, coupled with lateral loading. Perhaps the races are wandering.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    You know the step when you torque the nut down to set the bearings then loosen it so it can spin? Does it have play when everything is torqued down? If so, then yes, there is play somewhere else. If not, then the play is in the bearings/setup.
    So, where do I find the torque specs for seating the bearings. And/or the step by step, and/or a diagram, thanx, Jeremy

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparfreak426 View Post
    So, where do I find the torque specs for seating the bearings. And/or the step by step, and/or a diagram, thanx, Jeremy
    Give me half an hour or so to edit, and time for youtube to process it as I've got a rear wheel bearing video ready to go. I've just been waiting on the drive to put it together...

- - - Updated - - -

Video is currently processing. Here is a link to the thread I posted the video in.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?72625-Rear-caliper-and-wheel-bearing-replacement&p=1011045#post1011045