Thread: Which rear air shocks fit?

Which rear air shocks fit?

Anybody know of a particular part number and brand of air shocks that fit AA body SPirit/Acclaim/Lebaron 4drs? looking for something adjustable other than konis or coil overs. i have Konis for the front, but need something else for the rear in my Spirit R/T

turbo addict

Re: Which rear air shocks fit?

I have a pair of air shocks in my shadow and I love them for keeping the tail end from saggin on hard launches. I got mine from Advance Auto when I visited new york and they were Monroe as far as I remember.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...Term=air+shock

This looks just like mine, but my shocks were black. Be sure to get the additional separate left and right fill kit to keep handling from getting silly. Everything needed was included.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Note that air shocks do not change their dampening with air pressure. They only increase the load capacity, like adding a stiffer coil spring. They do not serve as an alternative to a shock with adjustable dampening, like a Koni.

http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPar...dStatus=ACTIVE
    Last edited by contraption22; 07-31-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

i understand what they do. i wanted the air shocks so it can be as stiff as possible and as cheap as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    i understand what they do. i wanted the air shocks so it can be as stiff as possible and as cheap as possible.
    Got it. Only explained it because you mentioned Konis in your original post.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Anything that fits the rear of an ~85 buick regal is an easy adaptation. I believe that konis are also available for them but they have to be removed in order to adjust them.

The Regal shocks are about half an inch shorter and and you will have to change the bushings but they are very close.

The top t-bar bushing has to be removed and then then the top and botttom bushings are just a larger ID. A simple aluminum or steel bushing fixes that.

Several guys are using QA1 Regal rear shocks with my front BC coilover setup and rear height adjusters..

-Rich

boostaholic

the route i went was with a set of the air lift air bag inserts... or what people refer to as drag bags... they are little red bags that fit inside of the coil spring and act as a spring helper... i had them on my white daytona and ill tell you with 40-50 psi of air in them brought the rear end up pretty good and was stiff as a board, plus that way you can retain the actual shock absorber... they way i set mine up was with 2 shrader (sp?) valves, one for each side so i could dial in the front for wheel spin... thus no right tire fire for me... and the kit is about the same price as a set of air shocks... IMO a much better route to go as i have used both methods... here is the set that i used....

http://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60776/

i may just put the konis i have for the rear in also. its great to be able to have ability air shocks up and down with ease ,the konis in the rear are adjustable only if you wna drop the suspension, hardly track friendly.

boostaholic

with the ones i posted you can run your Konis and have the adjustabilities you want for different track conditions...

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    i may just put the konis i have for the rear in also. its great to be able to have ability air shocks up and down with ease ,the konis in the rear are adjustable only if you wna drop the suspension, hardly track friendly.
    Raising the car isn't exactly great for drag racing either, unless you're going for the backwards gasser look.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

This is the part # from Napa MA-784 They were like $80, the 1st set I ran were white, the 2nd set I just got are black. Do NOT run without at least 10psi in them. I did for a bit as my pump was broke and they only lasted 5 years or so before they blew up.

nice. thanks thats what i was looking for. does anyone know if there is a Bilstein that fits these? bilsteins website only goes back to 1995 cars
    Last edited by Xtrempickup; 08-01-2013 at 08:59 AM.