Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 87 Horizon 2.2L 6520 Carb Will Not Idle

Mitsu booster

Re: 87 Horizon 2.2L 6520 Carb Will Not Idle

thatd be helpful. thank you... i still have a slight issue with it idling.. cant get it much lower than 1500 but it does stay running now.. probably a combo of bad gas, the missing oring and all the screw out of adjustment. what say you guys?

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Have you tried adjusting the idle speed by turning the screw on top of the solenoid?

If you can't get it lower by doing that, then there is an air leak in the carb somewhere (or the choke linkage is not working correctly).

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by horizon_87_withneons View Post
    thatd be helpful. thank you... i still have a slight issue with it idling.. cant get it much lower than 1500 but it does stay running now.. probably a combo of bad gas, the missing oring and all the screw out of adjustment. what say you guys?
    I'll dig out my FSM tonight. If you can't get the idle lower with the screw on the solenoid, check to make sure the hard stop on the side of the carb is not in too far. There should be a small tab on the throttle arm that bends back and contacts a boss between the two throttle bores on the carb body. My 5220 has an adjustment screw there, not sure if the 6520 does or not?

Also, like SDAC guy says, double check the choke linkage to make sure it's pulling off all the way, I know mine gets gummed up sometimes, and I have to spray a little carb cleaner in there, then lube it with a light spray lube. Also make sure it's not hanging up on the choke cam, they are plastic, and can sometimes form a notch that hangs up.

Mitsu booster

ive got that solenoid thing backed completely off the linkage. if it touches itll stall.

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by horizon_87_withneons View Post
    ive got that solenoid thing backed completely off the linkage. if it touches itll stall.
    That is sort of backwards of how it should work. Something wrong there for sure.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Mitsu booster

ill check it again. may have gotten my description backwards there. what would be wrong with it if it does make it stall?

Mitsu booster

THREAD RESURRECTION!!!!!! after a long waited time the horizon is in a garage being worked on. plans now consist of the weber 32/36 swap and full smog emissions delete. according to many, the weber is a direct fit. i plan on going with the electric choke variation of it. now.... are there any adapters or anything needed for the carb swap other than the midification for the linkage?

turbo addict

Check out what size jets are on both carbs...if the 32/36 has smaller ones put in the original carb ones in place.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Mitsu booster

ok i will definitely do that. ill just go ahead and put the originals in for safe measure. would that be the only thing to look out for? i know theres tons of vacuum lines most of which are emissions related. am i gonna have any issue with the electronic ignition since im ditching the solenoids and sensors on the original carb?

turbo addict

I think the linkage for the accelerator are a bit different and need to be mated up too. I run my car with no vacuum going to the computer since I was tired of having to replace it every year to two. I don't think vacuum lines were a problem...but relying on MANY year ago swap and memory loss! There was also an issue with the idle down solenoid...something to do with the timing...but mines been off for over a decade.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Mitsu booster

ok update.. ^thankyou for that info taylor^ anywho. after some headscratching dear ol dad and i gutting the thing.. theres nothing left in the engine bay except a block and an alternator. weve removed the intake and the whole exhaust. COMPLETELY tossed the emissions and smog junk and going full on mechanical everything. no computer control. the carb in question will infact be the weber 32/36 with elec. choke. now the fun part.. the distributor..... we knew this was coming and its gonna be a challenge so heres where i needs some serious advice from you all. obviously the factory setup wouldve relied on the engine computer for timing and spark and such and thats now gone, so were looking at doing the swap to a vac. adv. distributor. now ive read all over about this being a huge task because the 2.2 didnt have that option. ive also read that the popular swap is using one from a vw 1.7? looks like at this point thats gonna be my simplest route but im also gonna need something along the lines of the msd ignition?

bottom line guys, i want a vac. adv. system on it to pair with the weber. what is my cheapest route?

- - - Updated - - -

just had a thought.... we hacked out all the emissions crap but the computer was still good. will the car run properly if the stock computer was JUST controlling the distributor and ignition and such?

turbo addict

I don't know about the msd or VW stuff being used on our cars except that I WANT. Several years ago I got tired of the computer failing to give consistant timing advance once they got over a year old and the diaphragm in them would deteriorte so rather than buying a puter every year I blocked off all vacuum lines and have no timing advance. I also had to rejet the carb way back then too. The car slowed down about a 1/4 second, but the much greater consistency makes up for it. I run just base timing now...since 2000.

Garrett booster

The car will run fine with the computer just controlling the ignition. When I converted my 87' Omni to a Weber I ran it that way for a couple years with absolutely no issues before I had to ditch the computer and factory distributor completely(deer related incident). I currently run mechanical advance distributors, but there's no reason why you couldn't run vacuum advance instead. I originally planned to run vacuum advance, but found the mechanical advance distributors cheaper so I went that route. What kind of budget do you have to work with? Even with the used distributors I got to modify, it's definitely not cheap.
    Last edited by DSP; 12-09-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Mitsu booster

Budget has to be minimal. This was a car given to me with carb issues. So the only money I have in it is around $100 in tune up parts. This is by no means a race car or anything of the sort. Im cleaning up the intake runners a bit and removed the extra emissions crap. Im puting a stereo in it, a 2" straight exhaust with a ricer muffler that was given to me and then the carb. I just want it to run when I turn the key and get me to work with 25mpg. The weber IS going on it. So I need the cheapest rout possible when pairing that to car and making it work. Be it vac. Adv. , mechanical or the old school "loosen the bolt and turn it" style. Im not opposed to that either as all my cars I currently have are like that

Garrett booster

Well, the first option is to do the VW dist mod. I looked into that initially but didn't like the lack of a hold-down flange on the distributor and decided to look for something else. Since I decided to go in a different direction, I can't say anything more about this option other than it is probably going to be the cheapest. The easiest conversion to do and most expensive is to get one of the Mallory distributors they made for our cars. Used ones are pretty much unobtainable anymore, though last time I checked you could still special order the dual point version for somewhere around $450. With one of these distributors you will have to make a custom set of wires(easy) or have them made since the caps are obviously a different style than the stock cap. I ended up searching for a 4 cylinder distributor with a flange and our firing order and found the older Ford 2.3 distributors fit the bill. I found an older Mallory 2.3 distributor for cheap and decided to give it a shot. The next step was to get it to look like the 2.2 distributor. Since I didn't have access to a machinist friend I called around to all the local machine shops and explained in detail what I wanted to have done. The prices I got quoted made the Mallory distributor look like kind of a bargain. It then dawned on me that the local Votech had a machine shop. Since I was there anyway taking welding classes I popped over and talked to the instructor. I showed him both distributors, explained what I needed to have done and asked if he would be interested in doing it for a teaching project. He was excited to change up the routine a bit and told me to come back in a few days and pick it up. In a few days I picked up 2.3 dist. that perfectly matched the 2.2 from the flange down and was done for free. Since part of the points were missing when I got the distributor, I swapped the points plate out with a Pertronix unit, disassembled and cleaned the advance mechanism and installed it in the car. The thing has been running like a top ever since. Later on I picked up a second distributor and he was happy to machine that one as well(great guy). Even though the machining was free, when you add up the cost of a good usable distributor, new cap/rotor, Pertronix unit and wires it still wasn't exactly cheap. I didn't set out to have mechanical advance distributors, they were just the ones I ended up getting since the price was right. I have since come to really enjoy having the ability to play with different advance curves by simply changing springs. There was no penalty in fuel mileage either. With a Weber and these distributors I still averaged 35mpg highway with an Omni that had 350K miles on it. I have only used modified Mallory 2.3 Ford distributors so I don't know how easy or hard it would be to get an actual Ford Motocraft Vacuum or later electronic distributor to run on our cars. Pretty much anything can be made to work, it's just a question of time, knowledge and money. Unfortunately for me I'm stupid, poor and have little free time
    Last edited by DSP; 12-12-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12