Thread: wiring a 88 turbo2 in my lebaron

Garrett booster

wiring a 88 turbo2 in my lebaron

I pulled the motor outta my parts shelbyz daytona and plan to stick it in my lebaron next week. The baron was a 2.5 tbi automatic car. The daytona was a t2 5speed. Would I be better pulling the entire daytona harness (will it even work in the baron?) or should I be figuring on splicing what I need into the baron harness?
    Leavin the baron auto with the t2 if that makes a difference.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: wiring a 88 turbo2 in my lebaron

Personally I think the easiest (least amount of splicing) way to go would be to swap over the engine and dash harness from the Daytona; the Daytona and LeBaron had nearly identical dashes those years, so I imagine everything should plug and play. The problem you'll run into would be the firewall area. The '87 car has a square bulkhead connection behind the driver's strut tower, and the '88 car has a large round boot that feeds the engine harness into several connections under the dash. I *think* you should be able to physically connect the '87 harness in the '88 car, but you'll have to figure out a way to seal up the gap. You'll literally be putting a square peg in a round hole. You may also have to get the passenger side kick pannel and mounting bracket for the Logic Module out of the Daytona, as this would swap would retrofit the LeBaron to a Logic Module setup.

Garrett booster

All 3 of my cars are 88's so maybe that will help (hope so anyway). Havin to do all of this work because I couldn't find a cheap used 2.5tbi here local. Never thought I'd see that day! Already had the t2 parts car....so just figured I'd attempt to use what I already had.

turbo addict

Id change the harness.

Find yourself the bulkhead diagrams to make sure the harness is pinned out the same between the two. if its not you can switch the pins around in the plug.

first you need to drop the steering column so you can unplug the ignition switch. after thats out the way follow the engine harness to a large black connector with a 8mm nut in the centre. (you might have to drop the fuse box down to gain better access) undo it and unplug. now you can unclip the engine harness from its mount attached to. now disconnect the stop light switch and emergency brake light switch. carefully pull the boot towards the engine side and thread the plugs through the hole in the firewall.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Garrett booster

That doesn't sound all that terrible. I don't have the diagrams, so I guess ill just make sure the colors are the same...and pins are the same. Thanks a bunch for all the info.

Garrett booster

Finished pulling entire t2 harness outta what's left of the shelbyz daytona....cleanin parts now an hopin a lil paint will stick to...I can't see any splice action....but the coulum is identical to an 87 I had....guess we'll try n see....

Garrett booster

Well, the shelbyz harness is in place. The only things I didn't think of before hand:going from 2 headlights requires splicing, and 2 heaglight motors vs 1.. Also lost my airbag wiring, nowhere to plug auto trans wiring into, and the lebaron has 2 extra pins in its bulkhead (I dunno what for). All the plugs were the same so far other than that....maybe it'll run-maybe not....who knows! Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody have a clue as how to wire up the trans?