Thread: 92 Spirit No start - help asap!

Garrett booster

92 Spirit No start - help asap!

So I've finally got my motor together in my 92 Spirit ES.
    1987 T2 block -fresh rebiuild
    92 stock wiring harness/top end/T03 with T2 setup

No codes are stored - just 12 and 37 [Battery and barro thing]

I can't get spark! Timing is fine[checked many many times]
    I can hear the fuel pump prime when I first turn the key so I know the ASD is working, there's fuel pressure when I crank so I know the pump ir working
    I've tried 4 HEPs so I know they're fine[plus I get power to + of the coil
    The neg, I get solid power to the coil as well, even when cranking. I'm told by a good source that is there's solid power to the neg of coil while cranking then my coil control circuit is toast, and should throw a code 43, though I get no code.
    I recently hooked up an LED light to the neg of the coil and cranked again. I made a video but I think it's kind of useless but with the LEDs plugged in there IS a definite mild flicker as it cranks like it should. Should the flicker be more definite so you can see it clear as day or should it be just mild?
    I have replaced the coil as well, no change.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is my coil control curcuit really toasted and I need a new 92 T1 computer?

Here's the video of my crank with light hooked up to neg wire on the coil. Poor quality so you can't really see the flicker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1LLZn5bfgU

Re: 92 Spirit No start - help asap!

5-speed correct? If I remember correctly there is a ground wire bolted to the top of the trans that may cause a no start issue if left loose.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garrett booster

Oops, yes. It's a 5-speed. It used to be an auto, I had converted it a long time ago. The neutral safety switch is grounded on the head where another ground is. I don't recall seeing any on the trans though. If it used to be an auto, would there still be a ground on the trans I maybe missed?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Are you 1000% the timing belt is on correctly? That is usually the issue and yes, you said you checked it but others have and it was still wrong before you. How are you doing it?

Any injector pulse?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

No, I haven't tried that yet, but you can smell fuel if you crank too much, and the no spark from coil is what's the main thing I'm working on right now. I can check the timing again on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillity View Post
    No, I haven't tried that yet, but you can smell fuel if you crank too much, and the no spark from coil is what's the main thing I'm working on right now. I can check the timing again on Monday
    Honestly, unless you've missed a ground or the HEP went south, I bet the cam timing is out.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Arg. I'll check it again haha. Does the top little circle line up with the first full fin on the valve cover or the last broken up fin that runs by the oil filler cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquillity View Post
    Arg. I'll check it again haha. Does the top little circle line up with the first full fin on the valve cover or the last broken up fin that runs by the oil filler cap?
    Line up TDC on the crank, I use a light thru the plug hole to verify the piston is up or use a long philips screwdriver.

Rotor or intermediate shaft, I use the rotor and make sure its pointing at #1 cylinder.

Cam, the oval hole faces the center of the valve cover, I like to find the middle of the valve cover and draw a line with a yellow paint marker.

I would bypass the baro too, it could be wigging out, just put manifold vacuum straight to the MAP sensor for now.

When running, you can do this! If you have a timing light, do this to verify cam timing, make sure the ignition timing is set to spec, if so, then leave the coolant sensor unplugged, now shine the timing light thru the cam cover hole and if you can see the oval slot, your good to go, IIRC, it should be towards the front of the cover. If you have a light where you can adjust the advance, set it to 12 deg, it should be in the center of the inspection hole.

Garrett booster

I checked one more time. Timing is good man. It's not sparking >.<