Thread: Shelby Rack ID

Garrett booster

Shelby Rack ID

Hi Guys,

I'm doing an inventory of the turbo parts I collected a few years ago. One is a steering rack I pulled from an '87 or '88 Shelby Daytona. Is there a good way of identifying it to make sure it's not another rack I have laying around from something else?

Bill

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Shelby Rack ID

The lock to lock number of turns is about it as far as I know... They weren't special Shelby pieces as far as I know, just the "sporty" version as was used in other "sporty" Chryco offerings.

They are certainly less common and worth having around as they become harder to find, but not "Shelby gold" like some items.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

Mike,

I realize the main difference is just that it's a faster rack with fewer turns lock to lock. I'm just wondering how to make sure that's what I have. I'd like to eventually put it in my '85 Dodge ragtop.

Bill

- - - Updated - - -

I went out to my pile of assorted automobile parts and extricated the rack. The steering shaft turns about 2-1/8 turns from lock to lock. Since the knowledge base says "The Shelby rack is about 2.4 turns lock to lock " this must definitely be one. I'll have to flush it out and replace the seals and tie rod ends one of these days.

The rack has a metal tag riveted to it that says 466 7D 25C and has '87' cast into the aluminum. I wonder what brand it is? Anyone know how to tell?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Go on RockAuto.Com and look up the complete racks they list, there will be a TRW and a Saginaw version listed and may list the way to tell them apart (or someone can chime in)

I can't recall right now how they differ... hope that helps!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

I took several looks at Rock Auto (one of my favorite sites) but really couldn't get a good look at a matching picture for ID. After some research on this site, I came across a thread where they discussed rack ID and it appears there's an easy way to tell between manufacturers:

The TRW rack is cast aluminum on the pinion end with a steel tube pressed into it on the passenger side. The Sag is all aluminum. The TRW should also have a number tag riveted to it and the tubes going into the main rack housing are at an angle to each other. The Saginaw has an "S" cast into it, and the tubes going into the main rack housing are on the same plane.

Rock Auto has seal kits available for steering racks for our cars but ironically, they don't say whether they fit TRW or Sag. But at least I know which bellows to order now.

I pulled the bellows and found some light rust on the right side rack shaft. Hopefully, after some polishing, it won't be enough to hurt the seals.

Bill

Garrett booster

An update: I found out from my local auto parts store that they use a rebuilder in Baltimore who will rebuild individual steering racks instead of pulling one off the shelf. I was going to rebuild it myself but when you figure the price of parts (seals, inner tie rod ends, boots, etc.) the $100 they want to rebuild mine isn't a bad deal. So I stripped it down and had it sent off today.

Now it will be interesting to see what I get back. I put some marks on the rack, pinion and housing to see if I get my same parts back. That and the rack is 2.1 turns L to L so hopefully that's what I'll get returned, too.

Bill

Hybrid booster

You have a name for the place in Baltimore? They're local to me.

Garrett booster

I'm glad you posted because I meant to follow up on this and forgot. Accu-drive is the name of the rebuilder on the tag on the rack. Looking on the web, it seems there's an Accudrive Inc. in Halethorpe, MD., but no web site that I could find.

I got the rack back with all the important original parts. I had made small marks on the rack body, the rack and the pinion and they are all the same parts. The only complaint, and it's a minor one, is the cleaning method that they used took the shine off the aluminum and gave it a grayer finish. I haven't installed the rack yet and won't for some time.

For $90, as long as it works, I can't complain. All new boots, seals, etc., and my original rack back.

Bill

Hybrid booster

Sounds perfect. Halethorpe is about 20 minutes from me, and for 90 bucks, it sounds very worthwhile.

Garrett booster

Tbird: If you can't deal with them directly for some reason - like if they only deal with parts stores and not individuals - the auto parts store I deal with is linked to Quality Automotive Warehouse. You may be able to find a local parts store that's part of the same network (Based in Baltimore) and go through them. Their site is http://www.qaw.com/ if that helps.

Bill