Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 94 Dodge Shadow No Spark Help would be great!!

Mitsu booster

94 Dodge Shadow No Spark Help would be great!!

I have a fixer upper 94 Dodge Shadow ran perfect a few days ago.
    Daughter took it for a drive it died now no spark.
    Replaced Coil and Pickup under dist cap still no deal. No cam censor on valve cover..
    Have a service manual as far as I can see is the only thing left in the loop is the computer???
    I have read that there may be a ASR auto shutdown relay that it could be.
    If so where do find that? lots of relays on drivers fender..

Thanks!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 94 Dodge Shadow No Spark Help would be great!!

Welcome to the site!

Any codes? Are you getting fuel for sure? A Quick way to check the pump is to run a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the positive post on the coil. That'll energize the Z1 circuit and power up the pump. Are you getting power to the coil? There really isn't much needed to make these cars run as you've already seen with the lack of cam sensor. Basically if there is fuel pressure, a little spark from the coil, and a hall effect pickup signal it'll run.

If you flip the key forward after the car hasn't been started/attempted to start for a while the FP should prime. If you hear that, the computer is most likely good.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the site!

Any codes? Are you getting fuel for sure? A Quick way to check the pump is to run a jumper wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the positive post on the coil. That'll energize the Z1 circuit and power up the pump. Are you getting power to the coil? There really isn't much needed to make these cars run as you've already seen with the lack of cam sensor. Basically if there is fuel pressure, a little spark from the coil, and a hall effect pickup signal it'll run.

If you flip the key forward after the car hasn't been started/attempted to start for a while the FP should prime. If you hear that, the computer is most likely good.

ETA: Check the ASD relay although the FP prime is a test in itself if imperfect...

Mitsu booster

Pretty sure on the fuel it wont even try on starting fluid. I did find a site today that had a layout of the relays which I guess control fuel and spark going to look at that today.
    I'm wondering if their is a work around the computer where spark is concerned. some way to connect the pickup and coil to get it to work? here is the relay layout I found. Don't really have any way to check codes, would the fuel pump be located in the tank or engine compartment? Just wonder where to listen for the Prime.. 10:14AM checked relay marked ASD checked OK..

Last edited by goneflyn; 07-24-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Additional Remark

Quote Originally Posted by goneflyn View Post
    Pretty sure on the fuel it wont even try on starting fluid. I did find a site today that had a layout of the relays which I guess control fuel and spark going to look at that today.
    I'm wondering if their is a work around the computer where spark is concerned. some way to connect the pickup and coil to get it to work? here is the relay layout I found. Don't really have any way to check codes, would the fuel pump be located in the tank or engine compartment? Just wonder where to listen for the Prime.. 10:14AM checked relay marked ASD checked OK..

Follow the instructions here for how to get the codes:

http://minimopar.net/fault/index.html

The fuel pump is in the tank, so listen back there. Are you not getting any spark out of the coil?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Check to make sure the ignition rotor is turning, also line up TDC and see if the rotor is pointing at #1.

If you have code 11, suspect HEP or stripped/broken timing belt or oil pump gear.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

Tests so far today.. Double check Distributor Hall Effect Pickup with new and New Coil... No Change No Spark .... Rotor is spinning..
    Check 12V at Positive wire on Coil its good have 12v still No Spark .. SPRAY START FLUID IN CARBURETOR NO CHANGE..
    Unhook coil and power from battery to check spark.. Works when powered directly from battery..
    Check ASD relay it works and makes contact.. Made a trip to salvage yard in search of computer.. EBAY has them around $35.00

Here we go again.

What codes?

Did you verify rotor is pointing at #1 at TDC. RARELY computers fail like that.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Mitsu booster

Checked Timing is OK I have no way to check codes.. guess I could see if I could borrow a unit from somewhere..
    This car is pretty simple no censors checked with auto parts they did a parts search there is no Crank or Cam censor...
    Seems to me like even if Timing was off and its not..If rotor is spinning and it is.. it would be sending impulses although out of time and triggering spark if all electrical is good...
    Timing does not seem like a factor where there is completely no spark and no other censors and rotor is spinning..
    Is there something on the rotor that effects the pickup that could have come off?
    Timing was replaced completely new everything 2 months ago.. Its all good..
    Last edited by goneflyn; 07-24-2013 at 04:46 PM. Reason: additional info

Codes can be checked by flipping the key to the on position three times and leaving it there, then counting the power loss light/CEL flashes. Someone already posted a link to that IIRC.

Is your cap good? The little button that touches the rotor is still in place?

Mitsu booster

Oh OK sorry I Missed that, I will go check the code now! and Ill check the Rotor That's what sucks just went clear through this Engine all timing is new. Everything that had to be taken apart that could be replaced new was.. Oil pump all timing parts tentioners belt plugs cap the works.. and now this..
    Thanks for the info.. off to try it..

- - - Updated - - -

Cap and rotor great, I tried to generate the codes but could not get any result on off on off on ... nothing... lights come on normal oil pressure airbag ect. but just go out normal.
    tried multiple times. Could it be its not a turbo?? looked through the code page it mentions Turbo engines a lot . Code page has not got advice on no code troubleshooting ..
    I Did unhook battery to check computer connection and relays I don't know if this clears the error codes.. don't know why I don't get any ??

If you turn the key forward does the check engine light come on and then go off after a second or two? If so pulling the codes should work. Some cars will take a few seconds before it starts flashing out the codes.

Oh OK sorry I Missed that, I will go check the code now! and Ill check the Rotor That's what sucks just went clear through this Engine all timing is new. Everything that had to be taken apart that could be replaced new was.. Oil pump all timing parts tentioners belt plugs cap the works.. and now this..
    Thanks for the info.. off to try it..

- - - Updated - - -

Cap and rotor great, I tried to generate the codes but could not get any result on off on off on ... nothing... lights come on normal oil pressure airbag ect. but just go out normal.
    tried multiple times. Could it be its not a turbo?? looked through the code page it mentions Turbo engines a lot . Code page has not got advice on no code troubleshooting ..
    I Did unhook battery to check computer connection and relays I don't know if this clears the error codes.. don't know why I don't get any ??
    Doesn't matter about turbo or not, my 93 Grand Cherokee and 96 Ram will display the codes with the key trick

Mitsu booster

LOL my luck the lights burnt out... No check engine light.. ill keep trying to get a code does not make sense .. Has a light like a oil can nothing I can see Check Engine there are some that don't light any time..on my way to try further.. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

OK Dissembled dash.. It does have a Check engine light 3rd of 3 lights from the left.... Left Side Steering wheel.
    I pulled gauge assembly swapped all bulbs it does have a good bulb but never lights up.
    During try to start or on off on off on no light..

When you flip the key forward after it's not been in the start position for a few minutes do you hear the fuel pump prime?

Mitsu booster

Ya know not really.. the under dash buzzer going crazy.. I know the sound you mean my truck does that but have not really heard that that I remember..
    Guess I dismissed anything with that tried gas and start fluid in carb so didn't think it mattered.. But I don,t think I have heard it..

If it's not priming the pump I would strongly suspect the ASD circuit or the actual computer itself. The buzzer going crazy makes me think that you should triple check your grounds though.

Mitsu booster

Yeah Guess I could Jump the pins from the ASD Relay see if anything changes.. I about done everything but the computer.
    Do you know if I find a used computer for this year and it has the right connector is their anything special or should any for this year work?
    Any specific places to check ground?
    Last edited by goneflyn; 07-24-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Additional info

Yeah Guess I could Jump the pins from the ASD Relay see if anything changes.. I about done everything but the computer.
    Do you know if I find a used computer for this year and it has the right connector is their anything special or should any for this year work?
    Any specific places to check ground?
    There should be a ground going from the frame to the passenger side motor mount. There should be one on the intake I believe. Make sure the large one is hooked up to the head and that's about it.

If I'm not mistaken pretty much any computer from a 2.2 or 2.5 (whichever one you have) from 92 to 94 should work computer wise.

Mitsu booster

OK thanks for all your help. Ill check on the specifics on the computer before I get one brother works at NAPA here ill have him cross and get me numbers that may matter..
    Ill try that and report back.. CUL thanks again !

I would drive the bulb circuit and make sure the bulb works before condemning the computer or go borrow a scanner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast