Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 91 Consulier GTP Series 2

Garrett booster

91 Consulier GTP Series 2

Well, I guess it's time to start a log on this thing to keep track of it all. For those who don't know I have a '91 GTP; car #62. To get the car up and running I had to swap out injectors (2 were sticking), change the oil/filter, cap, rotor, and plugs. Tires that were on it when purchased are 13-14years old and shot. I've already replaced both shift cables after one of the cables broke on me.

To do list:
    Get Speed working
    Figure out oil pressure gauge/coolant temp gauge issue
    Replace Fuel Sending Unit

So far, I've swapped the 15" factory wheels for some 7spoke 16s. I've increased the tire size to 225/50/16 in the front and 245/50/16 in the back.

I'm headed out in the morning to look at a 91 Spirit RT for a donor car. Looking to make a "Shelby" Consulier, so the 16v is necessary. Looking to make 300-350whp with this car, (trying to keep it reasonable) it's my new Daily.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 91 Consulier GTP Series 2

In on one here too. I can't wait to see how you guys progress with these things.

boostaholic

Looks good in red. Hows the tire clearance and ride height with the 16's?
    MinivanRider

Garrett booster

Getting the drivers rear on I had to deflate the tire a bit, because it's bigger than the wheel opening. But, it fits in there just fine. The Steer tires fit great, but I need a small spacer, with +40 et the lip contacts the upper control arm, spacers come in between tues-thurs. With these tires the front should come up .5-.75" and about the same in the rear. For now, I'm driving it with the steer wheels/tires it came with on and the 16s on the back. The tires are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, i can already tell a difference in ride quality by just swappin the rears.

turbo addict

Congrats on your purchase and thanks for sharing it with us. You are the only reason folks on the site are lucky enough to own one of these cars.

Looks like we will be taking similar build paths while going t3. So you have a build timeline?

Sticking with the 555 and installing a quaife I hope? Not to thread hijack but they are hard to come by and I'm running a group but right now.

Once my car gets into Slowe Speed's shop I will post my build thead them but it Wil be interesting to see who breaks ground first!

What are your turbo plans and engine mgmt plans if you don't my sharing.

Again nice buy and this should be one heck of a thread. Good luck with the build.

turbo addict

I thought they already had LSD's installed?
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Took the car out for a little drive today, feels (smells) like the Clutch is on it's way out. From what I've seen on here, I should just get a 6puck performance clutch? From fwd, Tu, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Congrats on your purchase and thanks for sharing it with us. You are the only reason folks on the site are lucky enough to own one of these cars.

Looks like we will be taking similar build paths while going t3. So you have a build timeline?

Sticking with the 555 and installing a quaife I hope? Not to thread hijack but they are hard to come by and I'm running a group but right now.

Once my car gets into Slowe Speed's shop I will post my build thead them but it Wil be interesting to see who breaks ground first!

What are your turbo plans and engine mgmt plans if you don't my sharing.

Again nice buy and this should be one heck of a thread. Good luck with the build.
    No timeline just yet. I need to get out later this week or next weekend to look at the Spirit RT and see how well it's put together. The engine in it has been worked over a bit, which I always worry about taking on other peoples projects. Here is the list of what's, Supposedly, done to it:
    Forged crank

Pistons/rings (total rebuild) and good for 30 pounds of boost

ARP head studs

3” exhaust, with CAT removed and Magniflow muffler

50 trim turbo

Ported and Polished head

Fwdperformance stage 3 tune, spare computer has stock tune

Intercooler is stock, although I have a large front mount for it.

Transmission is the 5 speed and is stock

Guages – boost, EGT, Oil Tempature

That combo should be able to produce all of the horsepower I want pretty easily. Right? As far as engine management I'll probably use the stock ECU for now, but might go MegaSquirt. I really haven't been to concerned about that yet. The Quaife is a nice Idea, but I don't know if I'm to that point yet.

I just bought a house in January, so my budget wasn't planning on buying 2 consuliers this year. I'll be doing all of the work myself, so for a timeline it depends on how much free time I end up with. I've got to do more reading on whats involved with swapping a T3 in place of a T2. Once all of the engine/Trans stuff is done, then it will be on to redoing the interior and then Paint.

turbo addict

car #62
    And you know this how? Is this stamped on the car?

Hey, are the shift cables a stock length?
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

Johnnh, the last 2 numbers of the vin is the car #.

Their was no LSD diff in my new motor that was readied for install but never installed. Actually didn't check the tranny on the car get thou.

Anyone know the answer for sure? Any burnout a yet?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Johnnh, the last 2 numbers of the vin is the car #.

Their was no LSD diff in my new motor that was readied for install but never installed. Actually didn't check the tranny on the car get thou.

Anyone know the answer for sure? Any burnout a yet?
    Some of the stats in articles you guys have posted make it seem like there is some pretty crazy stuff going on in the stock transmissions. Published FDs etc. are highly suspect. I can't see them going with anything but the stock trans with the exception of an LSD. A custom gearset for the cars would have cost them a fortune for such a relatively small run.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    And you know this how? Is this stamped on the car?

Hey, are the shift cables a stock length?
    Keys are stamped with the vehicle number.

According to Dan at Mosler, they are stock length from an 87 daytona. But, I'm not sure what stock length is for daytona cables. My long one is 92.75" cup to cup, and I haven't measured the short one.

turbo addict

I just bought a house in January, so my budget wasn't planning on buying 2 consuliers this year.
    I know a guy wanting one.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Garrett booster

I've thought about selling the black one. But it isn't quite complete, no interior/gauges/hood/trunk/fuel tank/roof/exterior door handles/side glass. I think it has everything else. 0 mile drive train, never even been fired up. But, if I was to sell it I don't even know where to start pricing it at.

turbo addict

A convertible?

- - - Updated - - -

Photos?

Garrett booster

Sure, we can go with convertible?? I don't have any photos of the black one, it's stored at my dad's shop about 40miles away. It's not painted, it's just got a black gel coat or black resin. It's a series 1 car.

turbo addict

The published material I've always seen states the cars have some form of LSD. It never says what kind, though. I'd assume Quaife, however I know Shelby had dabbled in making a clutch actuated type, possibly a 1.5-way.

Nice buy for sure! I want to follow this as I LOVE these cars!

turbo addict

Would you post some shots of the interior?

Garrett booster

Of the red one? I can take some in the morning, cause I need to get a good pic of it with the new wheels. And I got my donor car bought. '91 Spirit RT fully built engine, forged rotating assembly, port/polished head, 50 trim turbo. Supposed to be FWD stage 3 tuned to 18psi, but it spikes to 30ish very quickly....well it did till the factory BOV surrendered.

turbo addict

Or both. Was thinking I'd like to see a series 2 interior. The shots so far have been scarce.
    I think there are far fewer series 2 cars.

Garrett booster

Forgot to take the interior pics of the red one. I walk out and do that now, until then. Here's a better picture of the red car with the 16's installed. They're 16x7 +40et, I needed 3mm spacers on the front for the wheel to clear the Upper control arm (rears had no problem). Fronts are 225/50/16 rears are 245/50/16.

Here are some pictures of the donor car I picked up yesterday. And now today I'm struggling with weather I should take it apart or not.
    69XXX real miles. The engine has been pulled and built previously. Forged rotating assembly, port/polished head with titanium valves, 50 trim turbo, FWD stage 3 tune. Supposedly on 18psi made 300whp, which is very believable. When I test drove it, the car would spike to 30ish (gauge only goes to 30) psi then bleed down to 24/25psi and was brutally fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast