Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 Consulier GTP Targa

turbo addict

Re: 1990 Consulier GTP Targa

Why is it so hard to believe a mostly composite, small, basically race car comes in around 2100#'s? Also, by winning the way they did, I can guaranty that the cars HAD to be weighed after winning. Knowing that, I don't think the weight claims are false. I think it might be a little much to expect the road-going cars to weigh 2100#'s. I also don't remember whether it was specified whether that was a dry weight or a wet weight. (dry meaning no fuel load and sometimes no other fluids as well)

Also, by working around composite parts all day, I don't have a hard time believing that a naked shell would come in around 250#'s. We also don't know what they consider to be the "shell". It could just be the driver's cell. Even at that, we don't know what that is comprised of.

I understand I'm being a major devil's advocate here, but I don't think there's really any justification to call BS on things just yet.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Wow, i'll be the first to admit, when I made the comment about what the Charger P/T would do in one of these, I was under the assumption that they weighed 1500-1700lbs! So, not much performance gain by weight savings over the Charger

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

So, not much performance gain by weight savings over the Charger
    Not much for the street version. But so nice to have the traction when taking off.
    And corners much, much better.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Not much for the street version. But so nice to have the traction when taking off.
    And corners much, much better.
    I can only imagine the difference, being a mid engine with a much lower center of gravity and designed to handle. Add that it's RWD and your talking about a 400+WHP Monster on pump gas street tune, Easy 9 second track car from the better low end traction from RWD and over 40mpg on hwy cruise! This, all on top of what it is naturally, a car that will eat up a road course.

Now, IF it would have been as light as I was thinking, you'd be knocking on or entering the 8 second barrier, and that's what my Lizard brain was thinking when it let that Muwahahahaha go............

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

Just need to find one of the 20 race car ones put in some garage somewhere, then you'll have it.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Did the "race" version have different lightened components (custom light weight pieces that do Not come on the street version), or is it possible to turn one of the "non race" ones into a lightened version by simply removing certain pieces? (removing creature comforts that make it more comfy to drive on the street, but add weight)

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

The RACE ones were without side glass, interior door panels, no AC, no electric door locks…not sure what else.
    This is all I can remember. I'd love to see one again. The only one I did see was in the early 90's.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I can only imagine the difference, being a mid engine with a much lower center of gravity and designed to handle. Add that it's RWD and your talking about a 400+WHP Monster on pump gas street tune, Easy 9 second track car from the better low end traction from RWD and over 40mpg on hwy cruise! This, all on top of what it is naturally, a car that will eat up a road course.

Now, IF it would have been as light as I was thinking, you'd be knocking on or entering the 8 second barrier, and that's what my Lizard brain was thinking when it let that Muwahahahaha go............
    I think I'd be very careful about adding massive increases in power to one of these cars. From what I've seen, there is a real possibility of over stressing the reinforcement points where major components attach. Also, tire size is very limited.
    You could heavily mod the chassis or construct a stressed subframe and attach something resembling a GTP body to it-wouldn't really be the same car at that point.

- - - Updated - - -

The RACE ones were without side glass, interior door panels, no AC, no electric door locks…not sure what else.
    This is all I can remember. I'd love to see one again. The only one I did see was in the early 90's.
    Did we ever determine what the "RaceCAr" stamping on the chassis of some cars(next to VIN) meant?
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

turbo addict

Got the a-arms cleaned up and painted. Ball joints and bushings in. Ready to install.
    By the way, these a-arms weigh 5-1/2 lbs each (without bushings and balljoints)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTPa.arms.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	49177  

turbo addict

Now I can put it back together next week. I got a call and the shocks are done and being shipped out to me today.

turbo addict

Want to take my seats out and see about having them recovered. So bought a pair to replace them while they are out. Cheap but comfortable. Only $200 for the pair.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	49220  

turbo addict

Car show "Barbie" shoes.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	49268  

turbo addict

Haha! Nice Johnny. Glad your having fun with it

turbo addict

Worked on it today. Finished installing the rear lower a-arms. (All new balljoints and bushings)
    Then the UPS truck showed up with my rebuilt Bilstein shocks. Put on the springs and then
    installed them also.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTP94.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	49292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTP96.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	197.5 KB 
ID:	49293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTP98.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	49290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTP99.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	49291

turbo addict

The seats shown above….well, the last couple days I have worked to install them in the GTP. Issue after issue with making the brackets fit the car and the seats. Got it worked out finally and installed the drivers side. Very comfortable.
    BUT if I put the seat back far enough for me, the top of the seat sticks out the back window. These will not work in this car.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-13-2014 at 04:41 PM.

boostaholic

Thinking out loud.. is it a steel frame inside the seat where you could maybe bend the bolsters inward? Some of the race chairs have pretty much a 90 degree angle to the sides where they are pointing straight ahead. I don't know how annoying a street car would be like that but it seems to work on the track cars.

Ah you said back window not side window!
    Last edited by Rrider; 03-13-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

So I went to have my Recaro seats checked out for getting reupholstered. One place was $1200 for vinyl and one place was $800 for yinyl and add $600 for leather.
    OUCH.

so went to talk to a guy I know that also has a sports car...we've talked a few times, nice guy.
    he told me he made saddles.
    but talking to him today and looking at the stuff he has done...including leather car seats...he said
    he can said he can do them both in leather for $800 to $950.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I was wondering where the other ball joint went on the rear. Finally enlarged the rear control arm pic and saw the other ball joint. Looks good Johnny.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

Sounds like we need to shorten your legs, Johhny!

I can't believe the prices for the upholstery work! It's been a while, but I seem to remember that getting the entire inside of a car done quoted out at around what they are saying would cost $2k, and that was with custom work!

So I went to have my Recaro seats checked out for getting reupholstered. One place was $1200 for vinyl and one place was $800 for yinyl and add $600 for leather.
    OUCH.

so went to talk to a guy I know that also has a sports car...we've talked a few times, nice guy.
    he told me he made saddles.
    but talking to him today and looking at the stuff he has done...including leather car seats...he said
    he can said he can do them both in leather for $800 to $950.
    Talk to Mopar318 (Edison Bender) on here. He was doing upholstery work for people for a while. Work was nice.