Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 Consulier GTP Targa

turbo addict

Re: 1990 Consulier GTP Targa

I ordered new brakes today...brake lines, rotors, calipers, pads....all for a mini van.
    These stock ones are the regular Daytona style, not the Shelby ones.
    These are 10 inch, the Shelby Daytona ones are 11 inch. I ordered the mini van
    11 inch ones. Should be a nice upgrade.
    Here are a few photos....
    Front sway bar endlinks were toast.
    a shot of the suspension, minus brakes.
    wheel

- - - Updated - - -

I fit the 225-50-15 tire on my 8' revolution wheel. Will not work on the front. Too wide. Now I am headed off to the tire store to put the 205.50.15 on the 8" wheel to see how that works out. Post photos later.

- - - Updated - - -

Put the 205 on the 8" wheel and that will work. Will run 225's on the rear, 205 on the front.
    The teal wheels (6-1/2") with the 205's on them, the tires sit 1-1/4" inside the fender.
    The black wheels (8") with the 205's on them, the tires sit flush with the out side of the fender.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTPfrtSWAYbar.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	46285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTPsuspension.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	46286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTPwheels.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	429.3 KB 
ID:	46287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTP225.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	46295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GTP205.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	46294  
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

you can't just bolt 11" minivan brakes on a 10" spindle. unless the spindle is a 91+ spindle.

- - - Updated - - -

What you can do is bolt the 10" minivan calipers and pads to the earlier 10" spindle using the correct adapter bracket and this is an upgrade because of a bigger piston and pad area. The later 11" brakes require a spindle change.

turbo addict

Thought you just had to change the bracket. The 89 mini van has a 11" rotor etc.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

boostaholic

Revs look real good with those fat Angelina lips.. Were those 50 series 225's?
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

Were those 50 series 225's?
    yes...225-50-15 tire on my 8' revolution wheel

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Thought you just had to change the bracket. The 89 mini van has a 11" rotor etc.
    On 91+ spindles yes, you just change the bracket for 11's. On earlier spindles NO, you can't just change the bracket for 11's. Caravan brakes on early spindles are still 10" but you change the the bracket and caliper and pad for a bigger caliper and pad. Known as SLH1 using these parts 60mm / 40% conversion

84-90 Caravan w/14" wheels and single pin KH

http://www.dempseybowling.com/shelby/slhpkgs.htm

turbo addict

BUT this is geared toward L body cars. Doesnt that change things for a Daytona?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    BUT this is geared toward L body cars. Doesnt that change things for a Daytona?

Nope, because they used the same spindles. THey just wrote it for the Lbodies because they had the crappiest brakes stock. Doing part 1 and part 2 in that link just brings you up to Daytona levels of brake hardware.

turbo addict

Nope, because they used the same spindles.
    L-body's and Daytona's used different hub/spindles. You cant put a G body one on a L-body without much modification.

Hybrid booster

From what I can see, you have the pressed in bearing and the caliper carrier bolted to the front knuckle so that means 10" disk.
    So if you would like to go 11", you will need the front of a '89-90 Daytona Shelby or Lebaron GTC. Bearing would be bolted instead and the caliper will bolt directly on the knuckle (no carrier)
    '91 up can still be had in 11" but need the specific caliper, the carrier, and the knuckle.

How about pictures of the back, Johnny?
    I really like the in depth of your pictures since I doubt that I will own one someday.

That's the cantilever suspension?
    What brand are those coils and shocks?

turbo addict

So, I'm kinda confused, Johnny. Are you going with 11" brakes or 10.25" brakes?

The way I understood things is that you can use 1st gen Caravan calipers, pads and rotors on 5x100 cars as long as they were 10.25". The difference being that the caliper has a larger piston, the pads are slightly thinner, but the rotor is thicker with more fins for better cooling.

You can go a step beyond that to the 11" brakes, but that is either only from the '89/'90 performance cars, or the '91-up performance cars and vans with 15" wheels (you have to use car rotors and spindles due to bolt pattern differences). Both of these would require a swap of the entire upright. The '89/'90 ones are unique to those years of 11" brakes as the caliper adapter is cast into the part. The '91-up ones, you can use any car upright, you simply have to bolt on the correct caliper adapter bracket.

turbo addict

So, I'm kinda confused, Johnny. Are you going with 11" brakes or 10.25" brakes?
    Trying to go 11". I want over kill brakes for autocross and track days.

The '89/'90 ones are unique to those years of 11" brakes as the caliper adapter is cast into the part.
    Okay I bought parts, I am starting to see if it all fits together. I bought 11" rotors (5x100) to go with the 89 2-pin Caravan calipers.
    (I bought 89 Shelby Daytona 11 inch rotors) I have some 2-pin knuckles from a car/van I parted out that I will switch to.
    I'll see if it all fits and will take photos.

- - - Updated - - -

How about pictures of the back, Johnny?
    I will when I get to them.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the cantilever suspension?
    What brand are those coils and shocks?
    Dont know yet.

turbo addict

Go with 91+ knuckles. This will improve handling even more over the improved suspension. Once you get the 91+ plus you cans buy everything for the swap. The bolt on brackets, calipers, and rotors are all still available. You can use any 91+ knuckle no matter what brakes they came with.

Also there are more pads available especially the hawk pads.

Any 91+ knuckle
    Calipers and brackets for a awd caravan(bigger pistons)
    Rotors for a spirit r/t
    Wheel bearings from any 91+ car.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

Did the front brakes today. Worked out great. Used the knuckles I found in my storage.
    (I think they were from a G body)
    Had the used rotors turned. Here are some photos from the project. One photo shows the
    numbers and brand of front shock. One photo shows how much larger the surface area is
    on the upgrade brakes from the Caravan.
    That bolt is the pieces they used to go through the place where the axle normally would have gone.
    The hoses...the same as any k-car, Daytona, Shadow, Caravan... except had to take the bracket off.

Name:	AxleTHRUbolt.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	46298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BothKnuckles.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	356.8 KB 
ID:	46299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brakeHoses.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	459.3 KB 
ID:	46300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrakePads.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	46301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knuckleBACKSIDE.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	46302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OriginalFrt.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	46303  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P9045.3254.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	46304  

turbo addict

So you went to 15" van wheel brakes or 89/90 Shelby Daytona brakes. Looks good, Gonna do the back ones the same? Need to keep the brakes matched and more rear brake than a FWD car since the weight is in the back.

turbo addict

Here are photos of the rear brakes...front and back.

Name:	RearBrakes.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	347.1 KB 
ID:	46305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RearBrakesBACKside.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	46306  

turbo addict

interesting. so are they chrysler spindles with custom brakes?

turbo addict

Chrysler knuckle and rotor and brake line. But Fiero brakes? I am checking with a Fiero guy.....

- - - Updated - - -

Confirmed....these are 1988 Fiero rear brakes. A one year only item.

- - - Updated - - -

Confirmed....these are 1988 Fiero rear brakes. A one year only item.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Go with 91+ knuckles. This will improve handling even more over the improved suspension. Once you get the 91+ plus you cans buy everything for the swap. The bolt on brackets, calipers, and rotors are all still available. You can use any 91+ knuckle no matter what brakes they came with.

Also there are more pads available especially the hawk pads.

Any 91+ knuckle
    Calipers and brackets for a awd caravan(bigger pistons)
    Rotors for a spirit r/t
    Wheel bearings from any 91+ car.
    I would NOT use the '91-up uprights (aka knuckles). The reason being is because this suspension was designed around the older style upright. Remember, this is NOT K-car suspension. While it's true that the '91+ stuff has a larger off the shelf selection, that doesn't mean there aren't options available. A lot of your racing pad suppliers will re-puck pads with whatever compound you specify.

Johnny, that means that you can make the brakes absolutely WAY overpowered for this car very easily. They claimed it would pull down from 60 in about 100' already. I'm assuming this means with slicks and racing pads that are up to temp, however.

- - - Updated - - -

Johnny, take a look at the dimensions of the uprights where the tie rod attaches. It might just be the picture, but it looks different. If it is, that could cause bump steer or Ackerman issues.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I would NOT use the '91-up uprights (aka knuckles). The reason being is because this suspension was designed around the older style upright. Remember, this is NOT K-car suspension. While it's true that the '91+ stuff has a larger off the shelf selection, that doesn't mean there aren't options available. A lot of your racing pad suppliers will re-puck pads with whatever compound you specify.

Johnny, that means that you can make the brakes absolutely WAY overpowered for this car very easily. They claimed it would pull down from 60 in about 100' already. I'm assuming this means with slicks and racing pads that are up to temp, however.

- - - Updated - - -

Johnny, take a look at the dimensions of the uprights where the tie rod attaches. It might just be the picture, but it looks different. If it is, that could cause bump steer or Ackerman issues.
    It looks like he used '89 11" brakes to me (bolt in wheel bearing, integrated caliper)...

Assuming that the original is a "normal" 88/89 kcar knuckle then the geometry should not be negatively affected.....

Plus the only difference between the geometry of the 91+ knuckles is that they push the ball joint downward (a good thing) so I don't see an issue with the geometry. I would prefer the 91+ knuckles because you can easily change between 3 different brake biases.

• 10" with 54mm calipers (normal kcar)
    • 10" with 60mm calipers (van with 10" brakes)
    • 11" with 60mm calipers (car with big brakes)

All by changing just the caliper bracket and caliper and the rotor without changing the spindle or doing an alignment
    Note: It might then also be desirable to change the master cylinder to correct brake pedal travel.

-Rich

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast