Thread: Wider stance on Omni GLH?

Hybrid booster

Wider stance on Omni GLH?

Hey guys,

I was looking at the Omni for awhile yesterday and was wondering how I could get wider tires for more traction (say if I wanted to enter a hardtire shootout at the strip). I was thinking of longer wheel studs and a spacer of some sort. Thinking more on it, since the spacer would push the wheel out a bit more, if I could make the tire and rim flush with the Omnis already flared fenders. Now I know some of you might already think he, "he wants the slammed stance stretched tires with -200 degrees of camber hellaflush!" look, but rest assured, I think that whole thing is retarded and has no performance gain at all.. I dont know why kids do it anyways. Would going this route hurt the car performance in any way and will I be able to put wider tires for more traction? I would like the look as well and I intend to keep it at its stock ride height.

I found an Omni here that has the rims and tires lined up with the fender but its slammed down and looks kind of dumb from the side. Heres a pic of it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bomni3light.jpg 
Views:	782 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	45984

turbo addict

Re: Wider stance on Omni GLH?

Have a side shot of that? And i wold love to see an omni hellaflush. Stance ftw, but just not on my omni.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

You really dont need more than about a 7" wide wheel to get ridiculous traction with 'race' tires on an omni. There has been a pic floating around for probably over a decade of an omni that got up on two wheels with pure grip.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    You really dont need more than about a 7" wide wheel to get ridiculous traction with 'race' tires on an omni. There has been a pic floating around for probably over a decade of an omni that got up on two wheels with pure grip.

I believe that pic is on the poly bushings site. They were some wide stickys.

I to have wanted to put stupid wide tires on my charger at some point but for road racing and such. I have often sat and looked at my car and thought man if those fenders an wheel arches were about 1 to 2 inches wider how ----ing cool it could look.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Have a side shot of that? And i wold love to see an omni hellaflush. Stance ftw, but just not on my omni.
    I really am against the whole hellaflush thing. Granted, some look OK, but its so over blown and dumb to me, but thats my opinion. People call me dumb for having a 300hp Omni and not a 500hp mustang or camaro.. anyways, heres a side pic of it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bomni4lght.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	45988
    I honestly think that if it was raised a bit and had some rims and tires to fill out the wheel well, it would look a heck of alot better.

I'm talking street tires for now lol. They have a hardtire shoot out here in GA where you can only run street tires, no et slicks or street slicks. I also found out very quickly how useless my 215s are in 1st and 2nd on the quarter mile. Plus, I can go with wider slicks if I go the route I want to but I'm new at this still

turbo addict

I run real wide tires on 8 inch wide wheels on my autocross GLHS 245x45x13
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I've done it on a fairly stock suspension and 7" wide 205/50R15s. They were A008Rs. Once they were warm you could get the car up on two wheels if you absolutely cranked the wheel at about 20mph. I never did it on purpose that's for sure.

I'm talking street tires for now lol. They have a hardtire shoot out here in GA where you can only run street tires, no et slicks or street slicks. I also found out very quickly how useless my 215s are in 1st and 2nd on the quarter mile.
    Hate to say it but there's very little you can do to make street tires work in 1st and 2nd that doesnt involve either A: a $500-1k differential, B: limiting torque in those speed ranges, or C: both.

There's not really a set of street tires you can bolt on that is going to fix 1st gear, but you may be able to get something sticky enough to hook 2nd without messing with the rest of the car much. Luckily you have a 2.2 or i would say you are screwed for 2nd gear too. My 2.5 aries would spin 2nd on grippy street tires @ 7psi, and ive had 2.2 cars that would hook 2nd on crappy street tires at 15psi (like the shelby lancer im driving right now).

Hybrid booster

Don't Omni Potent sell spacers for the rear??

http://www.omnipotentparts.com/product_detail.htm#Rear Axle Spacers
    Gene

Mitsu booster

Thats my car. The set up in the pictures was runnin tires that were way too small. I think they were 185/45/15s. when i initially built the suspension, i wasn't sure what tire to run, so i over estimated the OD. Admittedly they looked kinda silly from the side. Now the car runs 195/50/15's which fill out the wheel wells better. The wheels are widened steelies: 7.5" (+15 offset) on the front and 8" (+0 offset) on the rear. (yeah i know staggered wheels on a fwd car makes no sense. whatever.) I replaced the studs with ARP studs for 2nd gen neons, which are a bit longer.

As far as peoples views on hellaflush fitment, it's definitely for everyone. I like the look of where it's at now though.

Here's some more recent pics ( i've done a lot of work since those last pics ):

turbo addict

I wanted to do 15x8 +20mm with 225/45-15's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dart165 View Post
    Thats my car. The set up in the pictures was runnin tires that were way too small. I think they were 185/45/15s. when i initially built the suspension, i wasn't sure what tire to run, so i over estimated the OD. Admittedly they looked kinda silly from the side. Now the car runs 195/50/15's which fill out the wheel wells better. The wheels are widened steelies: 7.5" (+15 offset) on the front and 8" (+0 offset) on the rear. (yeah i know staggered wheels on a fwd car makes no sense. whatever.) I replaced the studs with ARP studs for 2nd gen neons, which are a bit longer.

As far as peoples views on hellaflush fitment, it's definitely for everyone. I like the look of where it's at now though.

Here's some more recent pics ( i've done a lot of work since those last pics ):
    How close are the front tires from rubbing?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Looks good to me, so long as it doesn't rub.

The only potential problem (and it's a minor one) is that the wheel bearing will be loaded higher due to the extra "cantilever" that moving the center point of the wheel further out will add, but it will be more stable/have better handling thanks to the "wide track" (ala 60s Pontiacs). I imagine if the later Van or other non-L body knuckles were used, it would be even less of a potential problem, as those have been designed to deal with higher loads anyway...

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

I wanted to do 15x8 +20mm with 225/45-15's.
    That's a really good idea. I wouldnt go any wider, any farther out, or any taller on the tire (unless you were trying to achieve a 'look' by doing those things) so i think you've hit the sweet spot.

turbo addict

That's a really good idea. I wouldnt go any wider, any farther out, or any taller on the tire (unless you were trying to achieve a 'look' by doing those things) so i think you've hit the sweet spot.
    I'm all about function over form. Although I have slowes kframe and DJs tube arms. I think they add more caster so not sure if that will leave me with less clearance.

turbo addict

i run real wide tires on 8 inch wide wheels on my autocross glhs 245x45x13
    pics!

Garrett booster

I was trying to figure out how to do this last spring. Blew a head gasket and now I finally have the car back together and am looking again. thanks for the pics and info dart165.
    Judging from that not much more would fit on an omni. I probably will stick with a 205/50/15 on a 7 inch wheel. Although I was wondering if this fitment would work. 215/40/16 on a 16x7.5 inch wheel with an et of 15. Tire I am looking at now are the federal 595rs tire that has a tread rating of 140. Anybody running anything like this on an omni?
    This was the info from my thread
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...-choices/page2

It would work well if the offset number was higher. You need more like et 35 for that to fit right. I think with 15 it might have the tire hitting the fender lip under compression.

You can plug the wheel specs into an offset calculator website to get a real measurement. If you're running 15x6 +40s right now then the outside of a 16x7.5 +15 would be over an inch and a half farther out, i think. Plus, the tire will stick out over the edge of the rim some.

Garrett booster

Good idea to use a calculater. Right now I have minimal play on the inside, so the room needs to go to the outside. After using the calculator you are right I need more like an et of 25. This will apperently leave me with being 4 mm closer to the strut and an extra 34 mm to the fender. I will have to check my current clearences to see if they would fit.

Hybrid booster

215/45/16 with a 16x7 +38 should fit. Thats what I have on my Charger.