Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History made a SAAC national event

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

History made a SAAC national event

Alan and I entered two GLHS Shelbys in the SAAC national convention this past week-end. Both cars were entered in the track event on the Auto Club Superspeedway. As many of you know, Shelby Dodge automobiles have never been allowed at a SAAC national event. Mixed in with Shelby GT500s, real Cobras, Daytona coupes, Boss 302s and all the other legendary Ford/Shelby cars-the little Omnis more than held their own. My car is basically stock(springs,wheels, fresh engine) and had little trouble running with any of the cars in my group. Was able to make up time in the infield and carry speed on to the banking-wasn't able to pass on the banking, but they couldn't shake me either. Alan's heavily modded S car(my old car!) was in the fast group and was able to pass all but a couple full race cars. EVERYONE at the event was very positive about the Shelby Dodge cars, especially after seeing them run. Neither of us had a breakdown, both ran very well and I think there will be much more acceptance at future SAAC events. I'll let Alan fill in details. here are a couple pics.
    I created the artwork for the event poster and reunion shirt. Alan asked why there wasn't a Shelby Dodge in the image and I said it was best that we didn't push our luck. At his bequest, I created a revised editon, with a GLHS replacing one of the GT350s. I've also included a pic of the shirt. Also scored at the swap meet-an original Dodge Shelby shopcoat that had been in deep storage since the very beginning of the Shelby Dodge experiment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130704_104044_502.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	519.2 KB 
ID:	45921   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130704_105752_120.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	527.6 KB 
ID:	45922   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130704_132527_135.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	492.6 KB 
ID:	45923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130704_151855_311.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	512.9 KB 
ID:	45924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130705_140938_483.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	550.9 KB 
ID:	45925   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0252.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	45926  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0253.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	409.8 KB 
ID:	45927   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0254.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	450.5 KB 
ID:	45928  
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: History made a SAAC national event

Nice work guys. Way to represent the Shelby Dodges!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice work, way to represent! Nice artwork and swap find too!

PLEASE Keep me posted on any "future acceptance" info you have: jt @ badassperformance . com

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Excellent stuff! I'll talk to Michael Wah about heading out there next year to help represent with more Shelbys. Thanks for sharing!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

Awesome stuff Steve and Alan. The thought of Shelby Dodges on the track with 2+ million dollar cars is something I can't wrap my head around.

Do you have any XL shirts left. I love how you snuck the little Omni in at the top.

I'm sure they don't want too many of us there, but if we got he invite from the Cali Shelby Dodge crew I would definitely give it some thought, despite the 6000 mile trek!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Very Cool! Thanks for carrying the turbododge torch! Now where are the videos?????
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post
    Awesome stuff Steve and Alan. The thought of Shelby Dodges on the track with 2+ million dollar cars is something I can't wrap my head around.

Do you have any XL shirts left. I love how you snuck the little Omni in at the top.

I'm sure they don't want too many of us there, but if we got he invite from the Cali Shelby Dodge crew I would definitely give it some thought, despite the 6000 mile trek!
    If I get invited, I'll be there. I now challenge thee!!! And you can come through my area and we'll caravan out there. I think next year I'm going to have to take the whole month of June off so I can do the Power Tour, SDAC and an event out in California.
    Last edited by minigts; 07-08-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs0075's Avatar

Great job gentlemen! It's nice to see some acceptance.

Stephen: 1987 GLHS #0075, 1965 Polara 880 convertible
    SDAC National- proud member
    Western Canada SDAC- proud member
    www.wc-tm.com
    "I am not a number. I am a free man!" Number 6

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Good job guys, I should have been there, no goodnik that I be.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Nice work, way to represent! Nice artwork and swap find too!

PLEASE Keep me posted on any "future acceptance" info you have: jt @ badassperformance . com
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by 168glhs1986 View Post

Yes, I still have a few shirts left(both with and without the mighty GLHS!) I am finishing up a run of shirts for Alan and i, so I can add to the run if any TD folks want one.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    Very Cool! Thanks for carrying the turbododge torch! Now where are the videos?????
    Just too lazy, wish i would have hooked up the GoPro, as the view through my windshield(and rear view mirror ) was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    If I get invited, I'll be there. I now challenge thee!!! And you can come through my area and we'll caravan out there. I think next year I'm going to have to take the whole month of June off so I can do the Power Tour, SDAC and an event out in California.
    Actually, SAAC changes its national convention location every year-usually, they are much closer to the midwest and east coast. Cali events happen about every 4 or 5 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glhssaac3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	365.6 KB 
ID:	45932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glhssaac2.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	504.4 KB 
ID:	45933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alanglhs.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	501.7 KB 
ID:	45934
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

turbo addict

Yes, I still have a few shirts left(both with and without the mighty GLHS!) I am finishing up a run of shirts for Alan and i, so I can add to the run if any TD folks want one.
    I want one with the GLHS in it!!!!!!! (XL)

Do you hand deliver?
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I want one with the GLHS in it!!!!!!! (XL)

Do you hand deliver?
    of course, I'll throw one in the bag.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

What a great weekend! The little black boxes made lotsa friends and and even tho it took an act of God to get GLHS #110 put in the expert run group(tech guy was a hater, even tho the Shelby Dodges were overall accepted and welcomed, don't get the idea it was open arms everywhere) During the run sessions even tho I was battling 240 degree water temps and ate a set of plugs (check pic, OUCH it was hot in those cylinders @ 11.7 AFR turning 7200RPM and 145MPH down the front strait!) only a couple cars got around me in any of the sessions and neither of those cars were wearing license plates S car is still a little tail happy, the rear lets go before the front even tho I've corner wieghted and adjusted the coil overs but the corner speeds were well above the other 'Vintage' Shelbys so lotsa ground was made up in the infield twisties I'm thinking maybe some custom wedge shaped rear spindle spacer plates that give me a couple degrees of negative camber... Anyway, the Angry Box was accepted well enough to trophy in the "Special Interest" show class (tough class, 7 cars all cool including a Ford Thunderbolt lightweight car, a Shelby series one, a '65 race pedigreed Falcon etc...) All in all a fantastic event and scoring some official event T shirrts with an Omni on the front will be the icing on the cake
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAAC 38 Lynn Park.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	531.1 KB 
ID:	45946   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAAC 38 Sparkplug.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	366.6 KB 
ID:	45947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Special Interest Trophy.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	45948  

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

This change of acceptance is amazing. I was at SAAC 17 here in Portland Oregon. This was back in 1992. My car had about 2400 miles on it. (I bought it in 1991) They let the Shelby Dodge cars in the car show..in a separate class. I made two 2 ft x 4 ft posters explaining the Shelby Dodge cars. Posted a copy of my title showing it was a Shelby GLHS, not a Dodge or Ford Shelby. (That one got some interest) Posted how many were made of each car etc. Most people were even unaware of them, some took interest and some basically said yeah, yeah who cares.
    I knew the guy running the autocross and he let me run. I ran in the stock class. I got first place. In the other class (modified) only two cars bested my car's times, a Pantera and a Tiger.
    But the road course we Shelby Dodges were not allowed. "Ford Powered Only"

Nice to see the Shelby Dodges being accepted a little more.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Congrats guys, way to represent!!!!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaV12 View Post

- - - Updated - - -
    I would be down for a XL shirt with the GLHS
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I'll take a shirt with the GLHS, XXL. Thanks, Steve. Alan - 7200, 145 MPH - awesome. You got that car working. Bring that plug Thursday, please.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    @ 11.7 AFR turning 7200RPM and 145MPH down the front strait!)
    This could possibly be a new world record for an Omni on the road course! Amazing...

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

One XXXL and on XL please.
    Thanks!

turbo addict

Good job guys! The road course results ought to give those die-hard Shelby Ford guys something to scratch their heads about (lol).
    Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast