Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New burner or????

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

New burner or????

I have an old Willem eprom burner that uses the printer port. I no longer have a computer which uses the printer port deal. What's my best course of action here? Some sort of converter, a new burner, or other? I don't have a laptop or other such fancy pants device and there isn't one in the works.

turbo addict

Re: New burner or????

Do you only want to do eproms for our cars or do you want to do other stuff? The burn2 is a good choice if just doing car eproms.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

by the time you spend x nmber of hours researching a x hours trouble shooting might just as well a buy te burn2...imo

I'll mainly do car eeproms

Ostrich or this? Not sure if this will work though, so I'd check to make sure that you can convert the LPT to USB, but since they make a cable for it...

http://www.cputopia.com/cablestogo-1...FSVk7Aod3V0ADA

I'll sell you my stuff when I go to a stand alone system. Eventually I'll be rid of the harness, LM and Ostrich setup.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I'm pretty sure those USB to parallel cables are only good for printers and nothing else.

...if you know what I mean... Turbo Mopar Contributor csxtra's Avatar

Brian,

If you are making a lot of changes while tuning, the Ostrich reigns supreme (aside from a flashable ECU), but it is obviously the pricier option.

I don't have any experience with the Burn2, but have not heard anything bad about it.

I have an Ostrich for actual tuning, and the True-USB Willem burner (GQ-4x) - $98 for burning final versions to chips:
    http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/stor...idProduct=4282

and have had great luck with it.

They also have a cheaper option without a case (GQ-3x) for $70:
    http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/stor...idProduct=4225

Reeves has this one and it has been reliable for him.

Both of those only use the USB cable, so no messing with the parallel ports.

I wouldn't trust the USB to Parallel adapters; I tried something like that long ago (PCMCIA card to Parallel adapter) and couldn't get it to work because it wouldn't support the full Parallel protocol that the old Willem burners use. I ended up buying the GQ-4x (and then later the Ostrich).
    Warren Hall
    "My Name is Warren and my car is an alcoholic..."
    OVC - SDAC "Our Sh*t Rolls!"
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741
    317WHP - 380 WFt-Lbs (STD-5)
    12.460 @ 113.2 - Race Gas + Methanol Injection
    12.749 @ 109.84 - 91 octane + Methanol Injection (Still tuning...)
    "Illegitimi non carborundum."
    -General Joseph Stillwell
    TD Runlogger Page Has Moved...

I think I actually have one of the parallel to USB cables. They don't work.

The Ostrich won't actually burn a chip right? It's just to emulate one? I'll be burning chips for a couple of cars so I'm thinking the burn2 may be necessary anyway? I would have thought that the USB burners would be down to $30 or so by now. I think the parallel port ones were about $40 last I looked.

Yeah but having a cal readily available and writing it to memory is no different than buring a chip. If you have a laptop, you're square.

Oh I see what you mean. Then you need two Ostriches. :-D
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

I have a usb moates I'm willing to put up as a mail around TM.com burner. Its fits AT29C256 chips. I dunno what else.
    MinivanRider

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

id just hang around IT guys long enough to score the newest parallel port laptop you can find. i have a compaq evo that runs xp just fine for cal stuff that i use. price? your favorite. 0$

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    id just hang around IT guys long enough to score the newest parallel port laptop you can find. i have a compaq evo that runs xp just fine for cal stuff that i use. price? your favorite. 0$

Brian
    Dang. I really need more nerd friends.

turbo addict

The burn 2 I love it so much easier to use

I'll check with my nerd friends to see if they have something. If you can find a slightly newer dell with the dock station. They have parallel ports on them.

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

I'll check with my nerd friends to see if they have something. If you can find a slightly newer dell with the dock station. They have parallel ports on them.
    The 21st century is slowly dragging me into it kicking and screaming...

The Dell docking stations do work for burning with the old parallel Willem burners, but they require that the docking station be powered, so it does hinder portability.
    Warren Hall
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    The Dell docking stations do work for burning with the old parallel Willem burners, but they require that the docking station be powered, so it does hinder portability.
    Cigarette lighter->inverter->docking station!

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Cigarette lighter->inverter->docking station!
    That would work. It might require that the car be running, but otherwise good to go!
    Warren Hall
    Cincinnati, OH
    87 CSX # 741

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    The 21st century is slowly dragging me into it kicking and screaming...
    While I can appreciate doing things frugally, I'm not sure what the purpose and desire is with continuing to work with older technologies just because you can. I don't think everyone, myself included, should move to stand alone systems, but there is enough momentum and cost effectiveness to move to newer technologies that save time in the long run and still be cost effective.

I am fortunate to have a laptop that I need for work capable of doing what I need to do from a tuning perspective, but even if I didn't need it for work I would have to look into getting something that supports USB or go to a system like the Ostrich just for the sake of saving some time and simplify things. Having multiple cars is a caveat and if you don't plan on changing things regularly, that makes sense. But you know me Cordes, I like clean, compact and simple and older laptops that support parallel ports, parallel cables and pulling chips regularly to burn a call doesn't remotely compare to plugging a USB cable in, making changes and hitting enter.

BTW, I have a laptop in my room I'll bring to SDAC you can have. I believe it has a parallel port. Even as much as I discourage your efforts to work with a stone tablet and chisel, I will gladly hand you the hammer with which you use to etch code into a chip.

Quote Originally Posted by csxtra View Post
    My dell dock doesnt require power but its not the huge dock thing. Its the smaller legacy adapter.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast