Thread: L Body Fuel Tank Removal

Hybrid booster

L Body Fuel Tank Removal

What are the steps involved in removing the fuel tank from an 86 Shelby Charger? Mine has been sitting for 13 years, and I figure I should pull it out and inspect/clean it before installing the engine. Also, what is the best way to clean it out? I THINK it was pretty empty before it sat for 10 years. When I got it 3 years ago I added a couple gallons of gas and the car ran, but fuel gauge was on E.

turbo addict

Re: L Body Fuel Tank Removal

Well, It would have been more more ideal if the car was parked with a full tank of fuel not close to empty. Surface of metal fuel tanks condense with temp variations and tank will rust. Full tank and no problem. This is car storage 101 in the snowbelt where we store vehicles during the Winter. More than likely the sending unit is rusted to the point the fuel gauge reo-stat is frozen. I'm surprised the fuel pump still worked! I bought a TC out of Austin TX many years ago that sat for at least 5 years outside. Not one speck of rust on the vehicle, but when I pulled the empty fuel tank, it looked like it was stored with a full tank of water! It was by far the worst fuel tank I had ever seen and I've seen some very nasty motorcyle tanks.
    Do yourself a favor and replace the whole thing if you find it is rusty. Tank, Filler grommet, and fuel pump assembly. Pull the right rear wheel. Loosen or remove straps, remove fuel filler neck, remove lines to fuel filter. There is a vapor line that is on top of tank that needs to be removed. You can remove the line at the frame of car where it attaches. It will then come out with a little wigglin.
    Todd

Todd

Hybrid booster

I may have got lucky I guess. I started pulling it and apparently it is quite full! As soon as I removed the fill tube, nasty old gas started coming out. Right now it's all loose and sitting on the trans jack under the car. Kids woke up from their nap early so I had to quite early too.

Hybrid booster

Yes, the gas strips the metal of any and all deposits, paints, etc. So with the introduction of humidity to the pristine bare steel, it turns to rust really fast. I watched a tank turn rusty before my eyes after being dipped in a hydrolysis bath. Very cool stuff. Good luck.

Hybrid booster

Yeah, it's pretty nasty inside. I'll probably just hit Rock Auto up for the $83 dollar special lol.

Hybrid booster

Well it's out, drained, fuel pump removed, etc. That was by far the nastiest job I've ever done lol. Bringing the old gas to work to dispose of tomorrow. Looks like a new tank and fuel pump/hanger assy are in order, everything inside that thing is destroyed. I'm not quite sure how that car ran!