Thread: PT GT Temp Gauge...desert temp torture test

Hybrid booster

PT GT Temp Gauge...desert temp torture test

Got a 03 PT GT, has stage 1 Kit. It's an auto. Had this since new, and am curious about the pcm controlled temp gauge. It has always only read from cold to just under half, never above that point, and once warm gauge stays still. I know it is controlled by the pcm. Even in the socal desert where it's 105 in the summer, never seen it above that point. Drove to Vegas this past Sunday in the insane heat wave out here in California / Nevada. Trip was already booked, or would have stayed home. Driving across the desert at 117 it would move just above half, and then back below half. At the worst, at 122 climbing the grade from Baker towards Vegas the gauge got as high as the 3/4 mark. Never got to the top in the red area. This was with the a/c on, which did a amazing job cooling the inside. Anyhow my question is, what temps are the gauges suppose to start moving around since the pcm controls them. I am always skeptical it waits to change the gauge until it is past the critical point, or very, very close to it. Anyone have an idea as to what the actual reading might be on these? Thanks.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Re: PT GT Temp Gauge...desert temp torture test

The only way to truly tell is to drive around with a scan tool monitoring the data stream. You have to look at it from Chrysler's point of view. If you have a temperature gauge bouncing around, you're going to have a lot of customers coming in worrying that there is a problem with their vehicles, wasting a lot of technician's time and dealer's money. I would be willing to bet the gauge will not fluctuate for about 20*, just to keep people from thinking there is a problem. I hate the fact that there isn't even a boost gauge in turbo PT's, you might want to install a mechanical temp gauge. My SRT-4 turbo-van with the AC on runs hot around town (220*) but cool on the highway with the AC on (205*) in 119* AZ heat. There is a lot more air flowing through your radiator at highway speeds than what the fan can pull so I'd say you're okay.

Hybrid booster

Yah, my scan tool is pretty basic, really needed it for my fords more than the Chryslers. I wish the PT had a boost gauge too! I understand what your saying about Chrysler, but at least on my older Chryslers I know where the range the gauge moves, even if it moves a lot for fan cycles, or thermostat opening in cold weather....and when it gets outside that then I know I need to deal with a problem. Do you run a fan like the van was set up factory, or a newer fan from a srt or pt or aftermarket? would imagine the pt and srt fans move a lot more air than the fans in our older vans / turbo Chryslers.

turbo addict

Get a scan gauge. Just a little display that will show any measurements you want. Usually pretty cheap and you can get them at auto zone I think.

http://www.scangauge.com/
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    Do you run a fan like the van was set up factory, or a newer fan from a srt or pt or aftermarket? would imagine the pt and srt fans move a lot more air than the fans in our older vans / turbo Chryslers.
    I'm running the factory mini-van fans (one for the condenser and one for the radiator). I'm going to try to upgrade those fans to see of that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Get a scan gauge. Just a little display that will show any measurements you want. Usually pretty cheap and you can get them at auto zone I think.

http://www.scangauge.com/
    That's cool. I didn't know they had something like this. Thanks for posting that. Not that I can use it in my OBDI vehicles but I'm sure at some point I'll get a customer that could use one.