Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This Just In!

turbo addict

Re: This Just In!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Just got back from the Cabin, Awesome news! When he went 10.4 on a sub par track in some nasty heat I told my wife Jacquie, "He's a comin!" lol

Really happy to see the competitive spirit alive and well in our little community, Congrates James!!!!!!!!!!!
    You need to come out of that 1 year retirement and get that 9 second slip. :thumbup:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    You need to come out of that 1 year retirement and get that 9 second slip. :thumbup:
    lol Sorry bro, having Way too much fun cheering on my buddy Reeves!!!!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Wow, pretty quiet around here. I know that James is busy getting his set-up all dialed in, but it would be Great to see his 10.40 (from SDAC) and 10.24 timeslips to see how he's doing. Also, No vids????

I'm really anxious to see just how well the clutch does. Finally, someone running it that will either find it's Limits, or Prove that I was wrong to doubt its capabilities in the first place! Can hardly wait, Go Reeves GO!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Damn, we are not worthy,

lol Sorry bro, having Way too much fun cheering on my buddy Reeves!!!!
    Would be more fun running 9's,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Very nice run!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post

Would be more fun running 9's,
    Trust me bro, I would feel Horrible running 9's this year! Sometimes it's just more fun to sit back and watch the wheels go round

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Trust me bro, I would feel Horrible running 9's this year! Sometimes it's just more fun to sit back and watch the wheels go round
    HUH?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I think Shadow, who, i have to point out, talks a lot about other people not having 'track records' , is just so 100% confident that he CAN get 9s that to do it right now would just be stealing the spotlight from other members who are also doing good things? That's my guess.

If i was less confident that i could build a fast 8v, i'd probably try harder to do it, but sometimes you just dont feel the need to prove anything to anyone so if that's what it is, i can relate.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I think Shadow, who, i have to point out, talks a lot about other people not having 'track records' , is just so 100% confident that he CAN get 9s that to do it right now would just be stealing the spotlight from other members who are also doing good things? That's my guess.

If i was less confident that i could build a fast 8v, i'd probably try harder to do it, but sometimes you just dont feel the need to prove anything to anyone so if that's what it is, i can relate.
    lol, well I really didn't think it was going to come to all this, but since you stuck your neck out guessing I might as well rate your guess; 8 out of 10

You are correct, there is absolutely No doubt in my mind that the Charger can run 9's, IF I would have driven it as well as I did on the 10.28 run, it would have gone 9's already.

Having said that; Nothing is guaranteed or even Close at these power levels. Anything can happen at any time and I'm well aware that (knock on wood) the next time out, Could be it! (like the last time before that, ect ect)

You are also correct in thinking I have nothing to prove, as well, the Charger has nothing to prove to me, it has proven over and over beyond (now) what even I thought it capable of.

But your even More correct about your third assumption; The Charger has taken up the spotlight long enough, it's had two insane years and it's time to let others move forward and Thicken the playing field all round. I believe in friendly competition, always have. Good competitive rivalries alway give that little "push" that helps move anyone involved (and driven) forward.

Warrens Laser would be ahead of the Charger IF he hadn't decided to see how far the little 50 trim would go. I Get that, but many don't. I don't like ppl thinking the Charger is going to go nines before Warren and assume there is something Better about it when there isn't.

I was also very curious if Reeves would stay 2.5 (I believed he would ) I think he's a little like me in that sense, he believes he can prove something (something that even I have spoken against) and I not only Get that, I applaud it!! Why else would I push so hard to try and give every piece of the puzzle (that I've found) to others if not for the hope that they can ALL go faster?

Add to all of this that I have "other" stuff that needs doing and after what the Charger did last fall, it just seemed the right time to "take a break" and get that other stuff done. (this was your missing 2 out of 10, otherwise you would have scored perfect! )

To sum it up it's just a really Good time to sit and watch for a while, And Hope for Others to do well!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Warrens Laser would be ahead of the Charger IF he hadn't decided to see how far the little 50 trim would go. I Get that, but many don't. I don't like ppl thinking the Charger is going to go nines before Warren and assume there is something Better about it when there isn't.

I was also very curious if Reeves would stay 2.5 (I believed he would ) I think he's a little like me in that sense, he believes he can prove something (something that even I have spoken against) and I not only Get that, I applaud it!!
    Yeah, looking at the work Warren has done to that car, you definitely get the impression that just saying 'runs 10s' doesnt begin to do it justice. I think the potential to go quicker and faster has been there for a long time, simmering. Even if it never happens it wouldnt be because he didnt know how, that's for sure!!

It's only relatively recently that i've come to some realizations about why the 2.5 might be harder to push VERY hard, than the 2.2 is, so i'll be watching Reeves with interest.

And we all know you will get your 9 when you are good and ready.

turbo addict

It's only relatively recently that i've come to some realizations about why the 2.5 might be harder to push VERY hard, than the 2.2 is, so i'll be watching Reeves with interest.)[/QUOTE]

What do you mean?

turbo addict

I can think of just the way the 2.5 is. Due to the piston speed and extra stress on the whole motor itself when you rev it up high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lol, well I really didn't think it was going to come to all this, but since you stuck your neck out guessing I might as well rate your guess; 8 out of 10

You are correct, there is absolutely No doubt in my mind that the Charger can run 9's, IF I would have driven it as well as I did on the 10.28 run, it would have gone 9's already.

Having said that; Nothing is guaranteed or even Close at these power levels. Anything can happen at any time and I'm well aware that (knock on wood) the next time out, Could be it! (like the last time before that, ect ect)

You are also correct in thinking I have nothing to prove, as well, the Charger has nothing to prove to me, it has proven over and over beyond (now) what even I thought it capable of.

But your even More correct about your third assumption; The Charger has taken up the spotlight long enough, it's had two insane years and it's time to let others move forward and Thicken the playing field all round. I believe in friendly competition, always have. Good competitive rivalries alway give that little "push" that helps move anyone involved (and driven) forward.

I was also very curious if Reeves would stay 2.5 (I believed he would ) I think he's a little like me in that sense, he believes he can prove something (something that even I have spoken against) and I not only Get that, I applaud it!! Why else would I push so hard to try and give every piece of the puzzle (that I've found) to others if not for the hope that they can ALL go faster?

Add to all of this that I have "other" stuff that needs doing and after what the Charger did last fall, it just seemed the right time to "take a break" and get that other stuff done. (this was your missing 2 out of 10, otherwise you would have scored perfect! )

To sum it up it's just a really Good time to sit and watch for a while, And Hope for Others to do well!
    Where did Shadow go? Can someone bring him back please,

A fast car is a fast car, period. There is no spotlight, this isn't Mustang's.com, lol, just get it done,

Quote Originally Posted by 85boostbox View Post
    I can think of just the way the 2.5 is. Due to the piston speed and extra stress on the whole motor itself when you rev it up high.
    I know I have a different setup but buzzing mine to 7500 for a season had 0 wear on the bottom end or pistons.

2.4's are very similiar in bore and stroke to a 2.5 and they have no issues spinning higher than our engines of any displacement.

Yeah, looking at the work Warren has done to that car, you definitely get the impression that just saying 'runs 10s' doesnt begin to do it justice. I think the potential to go quicker and faster has been there for a long time, simmering. Even if it never happens it wouldnt be because he didnt know how, that's for sure!!
    The only nine second number I'm really interested in is anything better than a 9.44, and that is my goal. Talk about who will get in the nines first is mute, it has already been done. The rest of us are trying to be second to get an 8 valve to run nines. (think Stephane B.)
    I, and others could have been there a long time ago, but at least for me, I've become tired and lazy, and my wife HATES me spending money on racing; which is why I didn't buy a $2000.00 turbo a long time ago. Plus I thought I could get into the nines with what I had if all the conditions were perfect, and I still believe I could have.
    I have always said that the Laser is a hobby, not a job. and when it becomes more work than fun, I would quit. So far it is still fun, got to have patience. There will always be someone faster than You and Me.
    One thing I found out for absolutely sure; is the limit to my old 50 trim. I got EVERY last ounce of energy out of it.
    Lastly, I have never blown one of these engine up, or had any kind of catastrophic failure, but lots of small problems have set me back. The work continues, Have fun!
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Garrett booster

What a great place! I'm a life long Mopar guy, new to this forum. It is so nice to see friendly competition, and the amount of knowledge that is shared here by all is second to none. Thanks to everyone who has already helped me with tuning questions. I hope to meet a few of you at this year's Mopar Nats in Columbus.

Stephen

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    The only nine second number I'm really interested in is anything better than a 9.44, and that is my goal. Talk about who will get in the nines first is mute, it has already been done. The rest of us are trying to be second to get an 8 valve to run nines. (think Stephane B.)
    I, and others could have been there a long time ago, but at least for me, I've become tired and lazy, and my wife HATES me spending money on racing; which is why I didn't buy a $2000.00 turbo a long time ago. Plus I thought I could get into the nines with what I had if all the conditions were perfect, and I still believe I could have.
    I have always said that the Laser is a hobby, not a job. and when it becomes more work than fun, I would quit. So far it is still fun, got to have patience. There will always be someone faster than You and Me.
    One thing I found out for absolutely sure; is the limit to my old 50 trim. I got EVERY last ounce of energy out of it.
    Lastly, I have never blown one of these engine up, or had any kind of catastrophic failure, but lots of small problems have set me back. The work continues, Have fun!
    Well said agreed, its gotta be fun

I think we all look up to you as the "professor" in the community with everything you have been able to achieve!

BTW, I though the 8V record was 9.38? maybe 9.35?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Is that 9.44 the 8v record then? I was aware Stephane had done 9s a long time ago, but did not know the numbers.

Maybe you being budget limited has been a contributing factor to the fantastic level of craftsmanship you have put into your car. I know i wouldnt work on making the parts i have better if i always had the option to just buy something else!

turbo addict

Ok let me put some perspective and I hope this doesn't hurt feelings. My 2 favorite TD's is Reeves and yours Rob's. Reason is is because your guys cars are both street cars. 2 put an 8 valve in the 9s and still be driven on the street is what blows my mind.

Warren your car is set aside due to the craftsmanship on a budget plan/ one guy doing it. Stephane's car is beyond fast (does he still even run) but yours is done in your garage by your hands. You are the professor hands down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Well said my friend!

- - - Updated - - -

Is that 9.44 the 8v record then? I was aware Stephane had done 9s a long time ago, but did not know the numbers.
    9.44 @ 144mph is all I remember, never saw a timeslip nor video. Any run faster was on the 16v head AFAIK. Pure Alcohol, tube chassis, 1775lbs With driver and hydro wheel base extention bars (not track legal) with a crazy welded and modded head + a ton of other crazy stuff.

AFAIK all three of us (myself, Warren and Mr Reeves) are running non welded reproducible ported heads and are all 2300lbs or heavier with driver. That's a Big Difference!

Don't get me wrong, what Stephane did, and how long ago he did it was and still is, Nuts! (there was a time, not so long ago, that I thought it was UNTOUCHABLE!) But what's going on now with these three cars is Crazier and way more impressive to Me. (and it Should be, we've all had Years to learn from the past And from each other!)
    Last edited by Shadow; 07-11-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Sorry I've been so lack lately. Swamped at work and been massively cleaning garage (long over due.....too many nights/overnights/mornings thrashing in the garage).

The OMNI hasn't been out of the trailer yet since Monster Mopar.

I did pick up a trailer to pull behind the OMNI for Hot Rod Drag Week. Starting getting my plans together for it.

My next plan of attack is to see what kind of ET I can get on pure pump 93 octane and whatever boost the 93 will allow me to run. I want to try not to haul race gas with me for Hot Rod Drag Week, but I still want to get as close to the class limit of 10.80 seconds as I can.

The 10.24 slip is at home on my dresser. I'll try to remember to pick it up and post it up.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast