Thread: wastegate solenoid delete, good or bad?

Garrett booster

wastegate solenoid delete, good or bad?

Is removing or "deleting" wastegate solenoid out of the boost system good or bad setup to run?

What are everyones opinions on the following setups?

1.) Leave wastegate solenoid in control of boost & regulate boost psi with some sort of boost controller.

2.) Don't use wastegate solenoid and set minimum boost with adjustable wastegate, use some sort of boost controller to adjust boost level.

I want a good setup for drag racing, but input on if a certain setup is good for street is good too.

Thanks everyone.

Hybrid booster

Re: wastegate solenoid delete, good or bad?

Manual boost controllers work fine. But if it decides to over boost you have no electronic control over the wastegate, and if the mechanical one fails itll continue to hod boost. If yoy run a manual, i would play with the wastegate arm and see if you cant get your target boost without external boost controls, mechanical or electronic. Then if the boost controller or vacuum system should ever fail your car will only reach that preset max boost thewg can will allow without any other controller.If you are getting a custom cal, i would go with electronic control. If you decide mechanical, leave the solenoid connected, the car will throw a code if you disconnect it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

It's really, really hard to beat a grainger. The factory boost control through the cals is getting pretty close though.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Grainger valves (actually MBC's in general) always tend to have a spike on spool up. If I want 18psi, I have to set it where it'll spike over 20 then it settles to 18. An electronic boost controller is much better but, accordingly, is more expensive.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster

My goal is to use a aem tru-boost controller. To have a street setting & a race setting. I'm currently running vacuum line off compressor housing to wastegate, soleniod is not currently being used. I just got the FWDPerformance stage 5 & I want to know if hooking up wastegate soleniod would be beneficial or not. Running super 60 snail too.
    Last edited by Punish'nRice; 06-29-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: wording.

Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
    If you decide mechanical, leave the solenoid connected, the car will throw a code if you disconnect it.

You can plug some resistors (I think 470 ohms) into the socket to get the code to go away, that's what I did.

Mitsu booster

I have a grainger valve coming off the intercooler piping after the cooler, and plugged up the solenoid, running 13.5lbs, no spikes, and no codes. have the s60 turbo from TU and no problems at all with this setup

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Grainger valves (actually MBC's in general) always tend to have a spike on spool up. If I want 18psi, I have to set it where it'll spike over 20 then it settles to 18. An electronic boost controller is much better but, accordingly, is more expensive.
    That's my experience. I did the homemade boost controller for a while, then tried a Perrin one in the same location. Anodized aluminum, nice o-ring seals between the two halves, ceramic ball bearing, yadda yadda. It works exactly the same as the home-brewed valve I had in there originally.

Looking forward to going to ECU-controlled boost now that I have a cal set up for it.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post

I have true graingers on both my cars and there is zero spike. Both cars have had variations of different head flow setups but the biggest turbo I've ran so far is just a S60 with 3" exhaust. All of them have had no spiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnethan View Post
    I have a grainger valve coming off the intercooler piping after the cooler, and plugged up the solenoid, running 13.5lbs, no spikes, and no codes. have the s60 turbo from TU and no problems at all with this setup
    +1

I too haven't had an issue with boost spiking, but I did mess around with my controler a bit years ago when I first got it.

Hybrid booster

whats the difference between running the controller off the intake or running it off somewhere before the throttle body, ive seen it done both ways

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    whats the difference between running the controller off the intake or running it off somewhere before the throttle body, ive seen it done both ways
    So long as it's after the IC I don't think that it makes that much of a difference. I like to run it off of the intake because that's where I really care about what the pressure is.

turbo addict

off the intake because off the lines can result in opening the WG at times. So off the intake will make sure the grainger stays shut until you are at the desired boost level in the intake.