Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: '94 Jeep Cherokee Tuning

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: '94 Jeep Cherokee Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by sev80 View Post
    The ST28f256 in them, it only requires 12v for programming according to the datasheet, hence my curiosity.
    Interesting... I'm wondering if Chrysler added a resistor in-line to prevent accidentally corrupting the program from an errant 12V signal on that leg... Makes me wonder if a jumper could be added to make flashing much simpler?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

perhaps the boostbutton sbec2 flash module would work better in the long run?
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sev80 View Post
    Hmmm that's exactly what I was unsure about was whether the late sbec-IIs require 20v for programming. The ST28f256 in them, it only requires 12v for programming according to the datasheet, hence my curiosity.

Sorry for all my n00bish questions, I really find this stuff fascinating.
    There's an internal circuit that requires 20v be applied in order to get the 12v Vpp to the chip.

The same flash circuit I use the Neons would work with those, as they are basically the same chip and flash circuit.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

rob L, does he require the 20v also to do just a read?

Garrett booster

Wowzer, I did manage to get the thing bootstrapped. Only need 12v for reading. Was able to dump the bin no problems.

what did you use to read the bin?

Garrett booster

A_kelly wrote a little program to read his jeep SBEC-II and sent me a copy to try. Im going to try with MPTune next.

Mitsu booster

I couldn't get mptune to work with my USB to serial adapter and I'd love to try mpscan but I don't want to upgrade .NET. maybe I will on my laptop but my desktop didn't even have any .NET which is why I wrote my own, plus I wanted it to automate bootstrap.

Quote Originally Posted by A_ Kelley View Post
    I couldn't get mptune to work with my USB to serial adapter and I'd love to try mpscan but I don't want to upgrade .NET. maybe I will on my laptop but my desktop didn't even have any .NET which is why I wrote my own, plus I wanted it to automate bootstrap.
    are you using the 781 jeep cal i posted up?

Mitsu booster

No I was working on a cal for a 356 but code is nearly identical, just locations changed a little bit and it uses the o2

Interesting fact: the 356 cal has a config switch for 4/6 cylinder in code.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by A_ Kelley View Post
    No I was working on a cal for a 356 but code is nearly identical, just locations changed a little bit and it uses the o2

Interesting fact: the 356 cal has a config switch for 4/6 cylinder in code.
    no way! That's interesting. Makes sense though, it's for a regular cherokee right? Those came with the 2.5's which are essentially 4.0's with 2 cyl's missing.

Mitsu booster

Not quite a 4.0 missing 2 cylinders. It's actually the same 2.5 as used in some Dakota trucks.

Garrett booster

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Yeah it's the AMC 2.5, not the K-car based engine. It is pretty similar to the 4.0 in design.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Those came with the 2.5's which are essentially 4.0's with 2 cyl's missing.
    Wait, are we not agreeing that this is true? It seems basically true to me and ive taken them both apart.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Wowzer, I was looking through the disassembled 781 cal you had on your dropbox and noticed that it says it was disassembled by MPdissasemble. Is this a tool that's publicly available/a part of MPTune?

no, it's something i developed back around 2004 when i started playing with the cals. i've added "features" to it over the years but it is not overly user friendly. rob lloyd used one developed initially by one of the early mopar ecu hackers which i believe he tweaked also but is more of a "standard" one that a person could use. i guess i could look at seeing if i could clean mine up a bit for others to use. it allows automatic table relocation (i.e. move tables from code portion to table location), code commenting, code deletion/substitution, table byte replacement, optionally creates the asm/tpl files separately, full table definition, etc. works pretty well but i would really need to add better error handling. now i just run the code in the VS IDE and if something locks up i just use the debugger to figure out why! since i never was really in the "disassembly" aspect other than for the hobby aspect it never was polished up! others have asked for it so i'll look at that as a spring project for general distribution.

i also wrote a "tracing" program around the same time which allows you to step through the code line by line and see all the tables, registers, ram, etc as well as creating a log for review. i used it alot when trying to see what code is actually doing. that may be helpful to some also.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    no, it's something i developed back around 2004 when i started playing with the cals. i've added "features" to it over the years but it is not overly user friendly. rob lloyd used one developed initially by one of the early mopar ecu hackers which i believe he tweaked also but is more of a "standard" one that a person could use. i guess i could look at seeing if i could clean mine up a bit for others to use. it allows automatic table relocation (i.e. move tables from code portion to table location), code commenting, code deletion/substitution, table byte replacement, optionally creates the asm/tpl files separately, full table definition, etc. works pretty well but i would really need to add better error handling. now i just run the code in the VS IDE and if something locks up i just use the debugger to figure out why! since i never was really in the "disassembly" aspect other than for the hobby aspect it never was polished up! others have asked for it so i'll look at that as a spring project for general distribution.

i also wrote a "tracing" program around the same time which allows you to step through the code line by line and see all the tables, registers, ram, etc as well as creating a log for review. i used it alot when trying to see what code is actually doing. that may be helpful to some also.
    Very cool! yeah I noticed the output looks a lot cleaner vs the other disassembled cals I have. I see alot more comments in the code and explanations on stuff. I think it would be cool if you had the time to clean it up and release it Obviously easy for me to say though, I'm sure.

Garrett booster

Wowzer,

I was poking around MPtune and saw in the list files used for programming routines use the RTS line on the FTDI cable to switch on/off programming voltage. So I built a rig using a EATX Flash module from Chrysler with some transistors to get some programming going.

I verified it works from a hardware perspective but I've been trying to use MPTune set to SBEC-II to try programming, but it's always failing. I can read the cals from my SBEC's from MpTune just fine but the write always fails chip verification and programming. I was also messing with Rob L's FCCFlash util and what I'm noticing is the ChipID comes back as a SMEC. It uses a ST 28F256 chip.

I suspect the same thing is causing the failure in MPTune but wanted to know if you might have more insight?

Any ideas, help, insight, rants would be appreciated

the reason is that the sbec2 routines were never completed!!! if i recall rob L was only focusing on the Fcc chip at the time so the chipID program never knew what to expect for values that would be returned from the routine on the sbec2 chip. i would suggest the following:

1) in setup/program settings make sure the default ecu is sbec2. also set "log ftdi port activity" to true.
    2) run the flash program. it will fail but it should write to the log what the id was that it got back from the ecu.
    3) post up the mpt2boot.txt file and we'll go from there. based on that data i'll send you a version with that code loaded in.

i know rob L had updated the fcc flash routines but don't know if he updated the sbec2 routines also. they use different ram addresses as well as differences in the delays, etc. taking a quick look at the sbec2 flash code i don't think it will work since mptune waits for certain confirm bytes after each 64 bytes are downloaded to the chip ram as well as after the 64 bytes are programmed to the chip.

Rob L really needs to confirm what needs to be done to get the sbec2 working. it's possible after you get a valid chip id that you could backup the old sbec2 flash routine, copy and rename the fcc flash routine and change the memory locations in the .lst file to what they need to be. remember i'll need to update the code for that id first.

waiting for rob L.................. :-)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast