Thread: Electric boost gauge and temp gauge

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Electric boost gauge and temp gauge

I'm in the process of designing a unit which will read and display two boost signals and two temp signals. I'm hoping to keep the cost low so I'll be using the following sensors and an arduino.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...785-ES110-0017

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...BPDLNN060PAUNV

ETA: These are the connector and pin parts that I ordered up. I'm not 100% sure they're the right ones due to some catalog discrepancies.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...ey571-925596-1

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...ey571-826008-5

Hybrid booster

Re: Electric boost gauge and temp gauge

Planning on testing intercooler efficiency? Sounds cool.

turbo addict

Interested! Will the boost inputs also be ok for other pressure transducers?
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie Fisher View Post
    Planning on testing intercooler efficiency? Sounds cool.
    That's the plan. It came up at SDAC when I was trying to figure out how many volts of boost Jon Trotter was running. This should be a pretty neat electronic boost gauge and also serve to do some neat testing.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Interested! Will the boost inputs also be ok for other pressure transducers?
    Anything can work really. I would have to redo the math in the code depending on which sensor you want to use.

turbo addict

I was thinking of using one for boost pressure, oil pressure, water temp, and oil temp. Im not a fan of having lots of gauges stuffed in various locations. The van dash is already tight on real estate.

I found this on the net when I was looking for a multifunction standalone gauge. Never looked like he offered them built or in a kit but the code is open.

https://code.google.com/p/multidisplay/
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

I was thinking of using one for boost pressure, oil pressure, water temp, and oil temp. Im not a fan of having lots of gauges stuffed in various locations. The van dash is already tight on real estate.

I found this on the net when I was looking for a multifunction standalone gauge. Never looked like he offered them built or in a kit but the code is open.

https://code.google.com/p/multidisplay/
    Wow, that is really cool. I don't know that I'll ever get that far with this project, but since the code is already out there...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Cool. I presently have a local dual gauge in the diesel van, displays IAT and boost, very handy,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Was at radioshack yesterday and looked at their arduino offerings, coolest thing was a 2.5in tft color touch screen. Are you planning on running a custom board or will you make it from off the shelf parts?

Was at radioshack yesterday and looked at their arduino offerings, coolest thing was a 2.5in tft color touch screen. Are you planning on running a custom board or will you make it from off the shelf parts?
    I'll prototype it on a bread board and then I'll look into having some custom boards made. They're actually affordable enough to have done that it isn't worth messing with perf board for more than a couple of them.

Here is a pretty sweet circuit simulator I found while doing some prototype work for this thing.

https://www.circuitlab.com/editor/

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: I've got the thermistor circuit laid out and some of the code work done. The boost gauge portion should be super easy once I'm done with this part.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a simple circuit you could use to get temp readings from your arduino. Even if you just read the analog voltage you could still use it for comparison purposes with no real code experience necessary.

I've got the temp function working flawlessly. I think it'll work really well with the sensor I've chosen. The temp rises pretty quickly when you blow on it so it should respond well to charge temp differences given the speed of air passing by it.

My pressure sensor make take too much work to be worth it. It's an unamplified un-anything sensor which requires a lot more engineering on my part. The documentation on the sensor I was able to find wasn't bad so I'll have another look at it this week to determine if I can actually learn enough about what needs to be done to have a go at it, or if I'll just order up some freescale sensors and eat the cost of these. It would be nice if these would work though, as they have an excellent range for this application.

Moved onto the next stage which is getting it to output to the LCD. The temp gauge isn't the best with it plugged into the bread board, but you get the idea. I just need to order up some proper freescale pressure sensors and do a little math and the prototype should be done.