Thread: MPScanDroid

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

MPScanDroid

and so it begins... was able to spend some "quality" time with my nexus 10 this weekend getting a rough version of mpscan (mpscandroid!) running. after alot of dead ends was able to finally get it to work using an ftdi cable. here is a brief video of what it looks like.

hopefully within a few weeks there will be a functional version 1.0 for users to try. i'm a bit disappointed at the speed of the logging. only about 55 bytes per second. i'll try to speed that up somehow. there's still alot to do on it, especially with downloading and uploading config files and logs. currently i have it set up to use the same config file (.mpc) that is used by the desktop version. that way you only have to do the "definitions" of the gauges once.

looking for ideas, etc on what it should look like for the real production version, i.e. screens, options, etc.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Re: MPScanDroid

cool. will this work on my gingerbread phone? 2.3.5 i think

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    cool. will this work on my gingerbread phone? 2.3.5 i think
    Your phone will need (powered) USB host mode available. Gingerbread didn't official support host mode. So, at the least, you will have to root the phone and install a custom ROM. I have an old GB phone, too. I installed CM9 on it, but it doesn't have the hardware to support host mode. Supposedly, there's a hardware hack to enable USB host - I might try it.

The only phone I know of that has a powered, host capable USB port is the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4. I have an HTC Vivid - it supports host mode but does not have power at the port. So, I'd have to use a 'Y' cable and/or a USB hub to use it. I'm actually thinking of installing a hub into my car...

But, I also have a Nexus 7 that I plan to use for testing this...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

I have a droid x2 rooted running eclipse 2.3 rom. I'll do some digging.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

"When your Android-powered device is in USB host mode, it acts as the USB host, powers the bus, and enumerates connected USB devices. USB host mode is supported in Android 3.1 and higher."

once this is up and running i'm going to look at connecting via bluetooth and/or wifi. there's some pretty cool hardware out there now (including the arduino stuff, ioio, etc) that may open up some more options. the main thing is getting the program done - then working on connection alternatives.

i've got an old roving networks bluetooth module i was using at one point to connect to the ecu successfully. it was painfully slow, but i'll try hooking it up again later on and see if i can get it to work better. i was using it with my droid x running 2.3.7? on cm7.

boostaholic

Very cool. I'd love to be able to log on my Transformer tablet instead of dragging the laptop out with me.

Hybrid booster

Very neat. Would there be any way to use hotkeys to direct to certain buttons like in mpscan? if thats so, you could make a headless android box (raspberry pi, or whatever) and you could make a pretty nifty set up that will copy the logs to a file server wirelessly once the car is in range of your wireless network. No lugging around hardware at all. . .

Morris, I know we've discussed it before and I'm not trying to push it, but I just bought a RPi2 and will be trying to get it running to use it in my car for various things.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

jon - i'm out of town for thanksgiving but will look at it when i get back. i had it running on my S4 with a smect1 a week ago so it does "kinda" work. i had been making some changes to it to see how to get the LM/smect2 protocols to work on it. don't recall how far i had gotten. those streaming protocols are tricky on the android OS. i'm torn right now on how much development time to put into mpscandroid vs the arduino project i'm doing that would GREATLY simplify the whole communications thing.

i'll keep you in the loop.

Well if there is anything I can do with either Android or Linux, let me know. You do a lot for the community and working on your own projects should come first. I know a little, but will read and learn and mess around with whatever if I know which rocks to look under.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]