Thread: Do a465 guts work in a520 case?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Do a465 guts work in a520 case?

I've been wanting to try a 3.05 gearset in my TII spirit and have a line on a 3.05FD a465. Ive never even looked closely at an a465..

As of right now i believe i can get it in the car pretty easily. I would have to adapt it to cable shift which i dont know how to do yet, but i dont consider it a dealbreaker (maybe because i dont know something important).

Im not REALLY concerned about durability in the a465 case, but it MAY be easier to put the guts into an a520 case if that's possible. It seems like it would be, since people have put a525 3.05 shafts into 520/555 cases before.

So, is it possible?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Re: Do a465 guts work in a520 case?

OK, to use the whole transmission you'll need a set of axles, the 460, 465, 525 all used small spline axles.

The carrier won't fit into the 520 case(Wrong configuration). The ring gear won't bolt to the 520 carrier (different bolt count). I think reeves took an OBX, redrilled it to take the ring gear to fit in his Omni and then killed it with big HP.

The intermediate shaft isn't the problem and you can even stack the 555 gear set on it, it's the ring gear and carrier area where the problems come up.

Cliff Ramsdell

Hybrid booster

To convert it to cable id just imagine youd need the correct cable z bracket off your existing trans shifter mechanism, if its not a 523 or 68. Then just pull the cable bracketsas well from said trans and make sure the cables are working correctly. If it all lines up, golden. if not, may have to fab the guy up.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Wow, got the info i needed fast! Thanks!

So because of the differences in the diff bearing area of the 520 case i'd have to modify the ring gear to go on a 520 diff carrier like Reeves did (enlarge the center opening, redrill 8 existing holes and drill 4 new ones iirc), but other than that the two shafts WILL go into the 520 case and work.

It also sounds like i can make the 465 work as is with minor work (i do have a set of small spline k-car axles kicking around). So that leaves me with the question of judgment: Do i take the chance of me breaking the 465 case and messing up the semi-rare gearset in the process, or do the work up front to put the 465/520 hybrid together? I actually do like the taller 3rd and 4th ratios of the 465 vs 525 so breaking anything in the donor trans would probably be even harder to replace than if it were a 3.05 525..The car is a very mild stock-ish TII 2.2 so it will never make that much torque, but if people break 525s right and left, i have to assume the 465 is, at best, the same if not worse in the durability department.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?