Thread: Omni...intercooler under the car?

Hybrid booster

Omni...intercooler under the car?

I feel I've been starting a lot of random threads lately...for that I apologize...but anywho.......

I'm putting a 2.4 in the GLH, and intercooler placement is an important and difficult task. I do not want to have to cut the rad support, grille, or bumper even. Without getting crazy with custom cores and welds and such, these seems itll prove pretty difficult.

When I owned an RX7 way back when, someone on that forum placed the intercooler flat under the car. I've seen others do it as well. What I am wondering is...first off, does anyone have any diagrams of the airflow charts for an Omni, and two, has anyone does this and does it seem a good idea. I have a PT intercooler and it seems the straight up outlet would align with the hotside pipe and the outlet face forward would align well with the throttle body. Idk...seems like it might work...

My only other thought was making my hoodscoop functional with ducting onto a spearco style right above the transmission, but, not sure I'll have much room for that even.

Discuss.

A pic for reference.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Omni...intercooler under the car?

I would go air to water before I laid one down like that. Seems like a trap for road kill and rocks.

turbo addict

There is no space underneath an omni.

turbo addict

If you did some good ducting it could get tons of air at speed. And if you vented it correctly somehow it could create some downforce too.

Hybrid booster

What about creating an over the top intercooler like the old mopar kit or Subaru's

turbo addict

What about creating an over the top intercooler like the old mopar kit or Subaru's
    i though about this too, like a v-style with rad and intercooler, kick the rad back at the top, mount the intercooler "over"it flat, and cut vents int the hood to let the air escape, but there just isnt enough room, especially if its going to be 2.4 with the intake in the front...

id worry about getting the air out from the engine bay if mounting it underneath, the last thing an l-body needs is more air cramed into the engine bay...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WLKivett View Post
    The old units heat soaked pretty badly. I don't know that I would want to recreate that situation. They also needed some hood clearance on the L body cars IIRC.

turbo addict

The Spearco kit for the laser and daytona used a bottom feeding intercooler and scoop. The scoop was mounted with some springs so something gave instead of destroying your intercooler when you forgot about that curb you just pulled up to. Still the scoops on these kits were destroyed in short order. Here is a pic of kit. The Spearco L-body kit was rated for like 260-280 HP efficient. Not BIG enough. Run air to water if you refuse to cut radiator core support. BTW- I have cut support before and you can easily tie bottom and top of core support together at hood latch and core support will be at least as strong as original. IMO, The Spearco kit out performed the over the top Turbo-Auto kits badly. At least my kill rate told me so (lol).
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87-88 Spearco catalog.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	402.4 KB 
ID:	45586  

Hybrid booster

Just an idea.

You could probably do an air-to-water setup fairly easily. The heat exchanger is rarely thicker than an inch, which should fit behind the grill of an Omni (I've only had Chargers, so I can't promise anything), and you could possibly stuff the intercooler in the fender, similar to how fox body Fords stuff their huge air filters in the fender. The only real issue then is the reservoir.

Stuff the biggest front mount you can fit in there. Anything else will suck. There's no reason to get tricky with the intercooler. The other option is an air/water, those work really well and you can use a thin AC condenser in the front.