Thread: 3 bar scaling issues Tsmec

boostaholic

3 bar scaling issues Tsmec

ok so heres the deal(remember im a total newbie to MPTune a Turbonator) so received a cal from rob, ran it, 3 bar ffv injectors and everything else stock (89 auto T1 smec)... when i ran the cal the car would idle rich and run rich in vac.... right on with wot @ 11.5 ish... but noticed in vac part throttle it ran super rich!! after doing some test i figured the 3 bar map was bad... soo just for giggles, i went back to stock injectors, 2 bar map... and the car ran great!! idled right on @14.6-15.0... part throttle in vac 14.6-15.0... so i picked up a new 3 bar map... changed nothing in the cal BUT scaled for 3 bar map... started it, and back to running pig rich at idle... at 20-22 hg/in im seeing 10.0 on the wb... les vac it starts to lean up a bit... 15-10 hg/in it goes to 13.6-14.0...

so when scaling for 3 bar what else do i need to change - mess with?? now ive done thins on 3 different 2.5 atx smec files... and all still the same... thisd is really bothering me cause the fact im still on a mitsu turbo and it will boost creep to over boost on 2 bar set up and i have to drive it like a grand ma lol... all i want is for it to run like stock but have 3 bar capabilities... and i can't seem to figure it out... any help would be great.. oh and ps, ive searched thru the thousands of Turbonator post in the search feature with no luck...

if i have to i will run it and drive it down to SDAC on 2 bar scale, and go from there once i get down there...

turbo addict

Re: 3 bar scaling issues Tsmec

I've noticed that too.

I'd put the FFV injectors and 3 bar back on, adjust the cal for it, the take notice on how rich it gets, adjust the fuel base line, part throttle fuel, and WOT fuel to whatever you want.

Ostrich really helps as you won't have to take out the chip everytime you adjust something.

you are scaling for the +18ish injector right? I've heard of the FFV injectors can end up flowing at or more than +20's. If not you may need to work on the fuel tables a little.

boostaholic

ok that's what i was thinking myself just go back in and play with the fueling... as far as loading the tunes, Flashable SMEC makes it a snap!! i love my flashable!!

- - - Updated - - -

well heres the deal... i personally havent scaled FFVs... i got a tune from Rob loaded on the SMEC that he had scaled... unfortunately i don have that particular tune in my possession ... so i used the Tsmec 2.5 atx 131 MP tune and also 2 of the different Tsmec 2.5 atx stock tunes with this... my first inital reaction was the injectors, so i threw the stockers back in... no tune adjust ment and it was the same thing, now knowing better than to go drive it like that... i let it sit and idle to warm up... with no better result... SOOO thats when i went in and re did a cal.. stock injector scaling, 3 bar map... ran pig rich, no change... at that point i pointed my fingre at the o2 sensor... so i wired up the LC-1 0-1v lead to the smec... again no change... had a spare coolant temp sensor lying around... figured what the heck why not... again no change.... so i wernt back into the cal, re-scaled for 2 bar map, installed old factory 2 bar... and walla!! ran great.... so thats where i thought it was a bad map sensor... got a known good sensor and got to playing with it today... which led me to this thread...

turbo addict

Same thing on my friends van. Had to scale the injectors for +40's then tune the positive pressure side of the curves to get the fueling right. Also running 3 bar FFV's on a 2.5. Something is not right in the scaling. Thought the wideband was not hooked up right or functioning correctly when we 1st did it. Dropped the 2 bar and stock cal back in and it idled fine. 3 bar and custom cal in it and same thing as you're experiencing.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Hmm, OK. I'll give it look again...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

rob - may want to confirm that mpt2 is scaling correctly! maybe something broke in all the changes for the 3d table scaling?!
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Question: With the rich 3-bar cals; the Charge Temp Sensor is enabled or not?

The 2-bar cals that are NOT rich: these are 100% stock cals? or 2-bar, stock injector Turbonator cals? With the Charge Temp Sensor turned on? or Not?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

2 bar stock injector turbonator cals... i didn't touch the charge temp so how ever they are in in the template file from .V19... im fixing to go mess with it a little more here in a few minutes, ill report back with my findings...

- - - Updated - - -

with the cal i got from you charge temp sensor is enabled, which i have installed a temp sensor aswel... thinking that may play a part... per our previous discussion...

- - - Updated - - -

ok so latest update, i think i got a cal to work with the 3 bar set up... the Tsmec_25_atx_6343_MP seems to idle and cruise well, cold start its right at 12.0-12.2, but leans out nicely upon warm up... 10-15 seconds after start its up to 13.8-14.0 and its about that point where i can see the O2 start toggeling, once the O2 starts toggeling, we're at 14.4-15.0... took it for a short drive and all thru out vacuum it stays right in that same AFR value... charge temp is enabled in this new cal... and she seems to be happy... Ive let it warm up thru a few cycles of fan on/off and all the same... now this is makeing me wonder if i was just using the wrong template initially... here another dumb newbie question what do the numbers mean in the template name I.E. TSmec_25_atx (i got that part lol)_ xxxx.... what do the different numbers mean?? why so many different onse and what should i be looking for upon those numbers??

Quote Originally Posted by 22shelby View Post
    2 bar stock injector turbonator cals... i didn't touch the charge temp so how ever they are in in the template file from .V19... im fixing to go mess with it a little more here in a few minutes, ill report back with my findings...

- - - Updated - - -

with the cal i got from you charge temp sensor is enabled, which i have installed a temp sensor aswel... thinking that may play a part... per our previous discussion...

- - - Updated - - -

ok so latest update, i think i got a cal to work with the 3 bar set up... the Tsmec_25_atx_6343_MP seems to idle and cruise well, cold start its right at 12.0-12.2, but leans out nicely upon warm up... 10-15 seconds after start its up to 13.8-14.0 and its about that point where i can see the O2 start toggeling, once the O2 starts toggeling, we're at 14.4-15.0... took it for a short drive and all thru out vacuum it stays right in that same AFR value... charge temp is enabled in this new cal... and she seems to be happy... Ive let it warm up thru a few cycles of fan on/off and all the same... now this is makeing me wonder if i was just using the wrong template initially... here another dumb newbie question what do the numbers mean in the template name I.E. TSmec_25_atx (i got that part lol)_ xxxx.... what do the different numbers mean?? why so many different onse and what should i be looking for upon those numbers??
    Those are the last 3 digits of the original ECU part number (and the cal ID code). I'm not sure what the different applications are. There are minor differences in the cals; I assume some are for High altitude, or cold weather (Canada).

I know for sure that the B151 is the MT cal for a Daytona. And that the A283 is also car. The others (A10x, etc.) I believe are all from minivans. I usually don't use those templates.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic

ahh got ya... well the MP atx cal seem to be pretty good, we can mess with it down in indy... get her dialed in... but like i said i think im on the right track with it now...