Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New burner or????

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: New burner or????

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    While I can appreciate doing things frugally, I'm not sure what the purpose and desire is with continuing to work with older technologies just because you can. I don't think everyone, myself included, should move to stand alone systems, but there is enough momentum and cost effectiveness to move to newer technologies that save time in the long run and still be cost effective.

I am fortunate to have a laptop that I need for work capable of doing what I need to do from a tuning perspective, but even if I didn't need it for work I would have to look into getting something that supports USB or go to a system like the Ostrich just for the sake of saving some time and simplify things. Having multiple cars is a caveat and if you don't plan on changing things regularly, that makes sense. But you know me Cordes, I like clean, compact and simple and older laptops that support parallel ports, parallel cables and pulling chips regularly to burn a call doesn't remotely compare to plugging a USB cable in, making changes and hitting enter.

BTW, I have a laptop in my room I'll bring to SDAC you can have. I believe it has a parallel port. Even as much as I discourage your efforts to work with a stone tablet and chisel, I will gladly hand you the hammer with which you use to etch code into a chip.
    wow, that's super generous of you Jon. I really appreciate it. Make no mistake though, my lack of technological doodads comes solely from my extreme cheapness. Actually if I weren't so meticulous with my tuning, and I didn't have the loop to drive while testing that I do I would have an ostrich already. Heck, I'll be bringing my pocket digital oscilloscope to SDAC!

I was wrong about the laptop, it only has a USB. If you still want it, I'll bring it. It's just sitting in my room collecting dust and taking up space. Can't sell ones like these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130618_233542.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	45594 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130618_233641.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	417.7 KB 
ID:	45596

I am also including a shot of the one you'll get if you want and then the one I have for tuning. Notice mine is almost thinner than the LCD encasement of the other one.
    Last edited by minigts; 06-19-2013 at 01:27 AM.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Your stone tablet and associating power brick are on the way!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Your stone tablet and associating power brick are on the way!
    Thanks a ton Jon.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Cordes - you wanted to do something with an Arduino, right? Check this out - http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2491
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Burn 2. Has never given me a problem.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Thanks for the link Rob. I knew guys were using the Arduino to program chips, but I hadn't seen a very detailed write up yet. I will look into that.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

that is cool (the arduino thing). I have an arduino and a maple. I should try the arduino programmer for fun and to get better at programming.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    that is cool (the arduino thing). I have an arduino and a maple. I should try the arduino programmer for fun and to get better at programming.

Brian
    Send me the code!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Send me the code!
    i have several partially started coding projects...... i dont know when ill finish any of them.

i was starting to make a PID controlled arduino based boost controller... that isnt finished.

so the chances of me getting code done to send you are slim right now lol.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    i have several partially started coding projects...... i dont know when ill finish any of them.

i was starting to make a PID controlled arduino based boost controller... that isnt finished.

so the chances of me getting code done to send you are slim right now lol.

Brian
    I hear you. Most of my projects are super simple so they can be finished in an hour or two. I was surprised with how little work I put in for my Jeopardy system to become functional as a prototype. I'm thinking my new goal of looking at two boost and two temp signals at the same time should be pretty easy too.

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: I ordered a burn2 yesterday.

I received the burn2 and used it for the first time today. Wow, is it fast. I was really pleased with it and it is quite a bit easier to use than the old Willem unit. I'm afraid I'll lose my edge in offset determining contests though.

turbo addict

i love my burn2 , you just get to point of bunning a chip for every type of gas , temp, load , weather that you will think your getting carried away.

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    i love my burn2 , you just get to point of bunning a chip for every type of gas , temp, load , weather that you will think your getting carried away.
    Not for a while. I know I had at least 15 SF512s lying around here but I can only come up with 3 right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12