Thread: Parked for 2 years, now valvetrain is ticking.

Parked for 2 years, now valvetrain is ticking.

I'm assuming it is the lifters. From searching it sounds like it could be noisy injectors, I'll look into that soon. How likely is it that the lifters have dried up from sitting for two years? It goes up and down with the RPM, seems to be consistent with one cylinder's spark timing. Slider cam, 85 287 head, hm....... Recent thread repair on one of the cylinders, but that seems to be a solid fix.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by vxvxAndrewxvxv; 06-10-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added info

turbo addict

Re: Parked for 2 years, now valvetrain is ticking.

Let it go for a couple days. Sometimes lifters take a while to bleed, possibly in the hundreds of miles.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Garrett booster

Re: Parked for 2 years, now valvetrain is ticking.

With the slider cam, make sure you use oil that has enough ZDDP in it also. The 15w-40 diesel oils, Valvoline VR1 racing oil, Mobil 1 15w-50 are examples of oils that have the higher levels of ZDDP. There are others too, so research your oils before you use them in a slider engine. Also, if the lifters continue to make noise, you can try some Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase. That stuff works pretty good at freeing up stuck lifters and rings.