Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Housekeeping

Hybrid booster

Re: Housekeeping

Well I put her way up in the air and went around the engine checking all the bolts...I was able to turn the bolts for the alternator bracket maybe a 1/4 turn, but based on the video below, I guess that was the rattling noise, since it seems to have gone away.... but that DAMN SQUEAK!!!! Only seems to be above idle though...I guess that's good? Any thoughts based off the video? I guess I have to try the belt conditioner....

Also, I removed that bolt you were talking about Cordes....anyone know if it's supposed to be bent? If it is i'll just re-install...if not I'll run to the hardware store and replace it...maybe it will help (though i'm guessing not).

I have to get it back on the ground and see if the rubbing noise (sounds like a jeep on really huge tires) I was hearing is gone...would the new bushings cause that? Sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car...but I did NOTHING back there...so annoying...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

no that bolt isn't supposed to be bent.. and yea that waterpump pullet looks like its on backwards.. but like someone said already the pulley will have front stamped into it, thats what faces out. Car looks good ! maybe i'll see it around this summer
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

As mentioned that belt is definitely not supposed to be bent. In the video one of your belts is clearly too loose.

Hybrid booster

thanks cordes.... i'll tighten it some more...i've been nervous ever since i torqued it down and then it spun right off on a downshift and I almost blew my engine. It looked kinda loose, but i'm a scaredy cat lol.

I'll have to get a new bolt at the hardware store tomorrow.

Hopefully i can get this all sorted out tomorrow. =)

And i'll check for the stamp tomorrow.... now i'm scared....

Quote Originally Posted by 89FerrariShelby View Post
    thanks cordes.... i'll tighten it some more...i've been nervous ever since i torqued it down and then it spun right off on a downshift and I almost blew my engine. It looked kinda loose, but i'm a scaredy cat lol.

I'll have to get a new bolt at the hardware store tomorrow.

Hopefully i can get this all sorted out tomorrow. =)

And i'll check for the stamp tomorrow.... now i'm scared....
    Even if it's on backwards it's not a huge deal. I think it's on the right way anyway.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

If it was on backwards, I'm fairly sure it would rub on the pump housing, and be nowhere near in line with the belts.

On the tensioner, there should be an 8mm flange nut (13mm hex) that locks everything in place once the belt is tight. I've never had a belt loosen up with that there, but I've forgotten it before and the car threw the belt in very short order.

As for the long mounting bolt that goes through the alternator bushings, I'd guess the 'popping' sound is because the threads have worn down in the spot where the nut should achieve enough torque. I've never had any luck finding the bolt itself new at any hardware store, but a new nut may restore enough thead contact for it to hold. If not, worst case you could always space it out with a stack of washers to where the bolt also has better threads to engage. On that note, the factory nut was crushed to an oblong shape to make it lock in place once tightened. Really good hardware stores may carry an equivalent nut, but if not, a nylock one will suffice.

Hybrid booster

Thank you sir. I'm only planning on replacing the tensioner bolt at the hardware store, though i think you're right in your explanation of the popping sound. I saw a couple of threads on people parting out late 80's daytonas... i'm going to see if i can get a new one of those there.

Quote Originally Posted by 89FerrariShelby View Post
    Thank you sir. I'm only planning on replacing the tensioner bolt at the hardware store, though i think you're right in your explanation of the popping sound. I saw a couple of threads on people parting out late 80's daytonas... i'm going to see if i can get a new one of those there.
    Don't forget that the type of tensioner you have on there came on pretty much all of the cars. It did vary by year though so you'll need to make sure you get the right style even if it is off of a Daytona. IIRC the style you have was on all of the cars by 90 or 91.

turbo addict

It sounds to me like bushings or brushes in the alternator are what you are hearing. I'd take it off, take it to a parts store that has an off-the-car alternator tester (all Auto Zones have them), and have it tested to see if it makes the same noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    It sounds to me like bushings or brushes in the alternator are what you are hearing. I'd take it off, take it to a parts store that has an off-the-car alternator tester (all Auto Zones have them), and have it tested to see if it makes the same noise.
    I don't know. I've always had that noise when a belt is slipping personally, but you never know.

As for the pulley, I looked at the one in our Daytona tonight and it's the same way you have yours. I don't think it's backwards and even if it is there have been no ill effects having it this way on all of my vehicles for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Hybrid booster

Well I am stuck at work right now (boooooooooooo) but I've already set aside some time tonight to get this thing all put together and back on the ground. So I will update this thread tonight.

I do have another alternator coming at some point (lord knows when, though I already paid for it 3 weeks ago), but I think rather than removing it right now, i'll just spray the belt conditioner tonight, if the squeaking persists then i'll look deeper into it being something other than the belt.

I'm going to check for the "front" stamp, or whatever it was, it wouldn't be hard to flip around, but considering the way it's "dimpled" in the center, i would think if it was on backwards the belt wouldn't even go on it as it would be pushed way out by the fender.....

p.s. I was just planning on finding a similar/identical bolt for the tensioner at the hardware store....is the one in the car a special grade? Do we not think that would work?

If you can find something for it at the hardware store, then go for it. You shouldn't need anything exceptionally strong for this.

Hybrid booster

Ho Hum.... I guess i'm just going to drive it and make sure I have any spare parts tools I may need to fix something.

So, bought a bolt at the hardware store, but it was a no go, so I re-installed the bent one, since its bent at a part where I don't think it matters. Tightened the tensioner as much as I dared, to no avail, still squeaks....so I sprayed the belt tensioner and now it doesn't squeak, it whines (lowly). Good enough I guess. Maybe I didn't spray enough because when I spray it while running it doesn't make any noise, but it turns the belt all tacky and I didn't want to use too much and destroy the belt. I carry spares with me anyways.

I am hoping the humming noise is gone when I put it back down, but probably not. Guess I'll drive it until it pops something and just turn the stereo on...I don't feel like chasing it down when I have no idea why other than possibly the sway bar. Someone mentioned tightening that with the car on the ground...but I cant get under my car with it on the ground, so I have no idea how to even approach that.

Last thing, I only want to put it out there since I don't mind driving the car less than 100%, but I certainly don't want to damage it because I do. When revving to check for the squeak I noticed my timing belt shuddering (see the below video). I hate to ask, since I really don't want to redo that...but does that look like a problem to anyone else? I checked it and its at the 1/4 turn tightness as advised.

The rattling noise only seems to happen as the RPM's come down, so I'm not going to stress it like before. Used to happen at idle...at least it doesn't do that anymore.

I put the car on jack stands to do the sway bar. That's what I did last night when I did it.

I wouldn't worry about anything else right now from what I can see. It doesn't sound like there is anything going on that could cause damage that wouldn't happen otherwise.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for all your help Cordes, Wish I was headed out there tomorrow, I'd buy you a drink (of your choice of course!). Enjoy SDAC! Maybe next time!

Hybrid booster

If you look at the pics of the belt (the first few sets of pics) it looks like the passebger side of the belt is worn, judging by the exposed cording of the belt on that side. Maybe the alternator is shimmed too far towards the driver side and causing the squeal and wear? Just a thought.

Hybrid booster

could be, i might be tightening the bolts too much and pulling it towards the driver side. That belt is brand new...so if it's already worn something must be off. =)

just for posterity, i looked at the water pump pulley, and front is stamped on the side facing out, so I think i'm good.

A wear issue could also be due to the fact that the bracket was loose for a while there.

Hybrid booster

Seems to be driving ok today. Definitely not at 100%, but its running =P

I have so many spare parts in the passenger side of the car its silly, but until i put some miles on i'm not going to feel safe without them.

turbo addict

First off, it looks like your alternator is missing a few spacers, first one is one that spaces the pulley out yo correctly line up the belt. This is the same issue I have with my van. I think its from having a nippo alternator on 89and down brackets. I had to stack washers and change bushing sleeves to line up the pullies in my van without the spacer. The other spacer that is missing is the one that goes between the ears on the tomb bolt, the popping you hear when tightening it is the sleeve on the drivers side ear sliding. Normally there is supposed to be a spacer between to stop the sleeve from sliding. Most cars I've seen don't have the spacer though, usually ends up staying with the alternator core. A new some can be made from some tubing.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast