Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too Crazy?

Mitsu booster

Too Crazy?

Hey guys how y'all doing?

Im starting to save up some money and invest it in my Daytona Shelby Z, my main goal is to make it RWD, as they were always meant to be.

So, a lot of things are going through my head, specially, which engine go with. A V8 is not in my mind, dont get me wrong, I love the sound and the horrendous amount of tq they put to the tires, but it's not what I want. An SRT4 engine does not sound bad, and I think they have allready been done.

But what I've always really loved, is the sound of a 6cyl turboed, specially the Skylines engine, RB20, RB25, RB26, all 3 of them. So my question to you, mopar speciallists, enthusiasts and lovers; how crazy does this sound? Can it be done? Do you think the engine will fit in the Daytona Bay? I've seen 440's in them, so I dont think that should be a problem.

Im planning on a stock engine to start with, probably just turn up the boost a little bit, with the proper fuel management adjusts; electrically managed by a megasquirt of course, I don't think that theres another option in this matter.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Too Crazy?

A lot of work and a ton of serious fab skills needed. However it's entirely possible.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...79-87-Shelby-Z

Mitsu booster

Im totally aware of that. But, most of the work, won't be done by me, specially when it comes to wiring stuff (electrical) and fabrication (custom engine/tranny mounts, crossmember(s), etc).

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Anything can be done with time and money.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Will be cheaper just to buy a skyline.

Mitsu booster

I don't thinks so, specially if I live in Mexico, a place where you can't import those kind of cars (with the VIN starting with a letter), aside from that, I think a skyline runs for about 20-30 grand. Engine and transmision runs for about 3-4k, and we have really cheap costs when it comes to labor work; we pay about 100-200 dollars for an average well done engine swap depending on where you live.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I would think there are other 6 cylinder options that cost less or are easier to obtain then 4,000 for a junkyard RB motor/trans. I believe those are much cheaper to obtain in the US.

That said, I don't know that Shelby Daytonas were "meant to be RWD" but if they were, "meant to be" would not include a motor that never sat in a daytona :P Even a 440 mopar never meant to be there :P
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    I would think there are other 6 cylinder options that cost less or are easier to obtain then 4,000 for a junkyard RB motor/trans. I believe those are much cheaper to obtain in the US.
    Yeah there are importers of RB motors around that you can get them for $2k but unknown shape... shipping is the expensive part tho

That said, I don't know that Shelby Daytonas were "meant to be RWD" but if they were, "meant to be" would not include a motor that never sat in a daytona :P Even a 440 mopar never meant to be there :P
    LOL, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard "Daytona are meant to be RWD" ... The only intended Daytona body use as a RWD was for NHRA Pro-stock and those bodies were extended 6" so the engine would fit. Not sure where people get that from I always laugh and say if my 4-banger FWD Daytona runs 10's a V8 RWD one should run 5's?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Dude, dont ruin a Shelby Z. By all means take a base model and go crazy but leave the Z alone

I'm with Dave. Why ruin a good car? Find one ravaged by rust and chop that up.
    "Don't play engineer and screw them up - just restore them."

Mike

Mitsu booster

Well, dont wanna be rude by saying this but, it is my car isint?

By saying that they were meant to be RWD is that it has all the looks and all the potential, to, in their times, that they were made RWD, they should have been made RWD.

I tought you were all more open minded than some other forums that I have been in. I dont think that the engine and trans are expensive.

Brent, what other options do you think I can have in a 6cyl with factory turbo?

I dont want to be rude either but sell it and buy a starion or an s13. Sounds like thats what you really want anyway

turbo addict

I'd much rather have a Toyota inline 6 (2J/1J) than an RB. parts would be easier to find.
    If it were me I'd just keep it turbo fwd.

Mitsu booster

Selling is not an option, nor is getting an S13 or a Starion, don't like them, plus the difficulty to find one, for those who said is easier/cheaper to buy a skyline (doesn't anybody understands how difficult is to get a car like that in Mexico? We don't have all the facilities you guys have). Keeping it FWD is not in my mind.

The toyota engine doesn't sounds that bad, as for the difficulty of getting parts I think is mute, I stil have to import stuff from USA.

turbo addict

People always get these wild --- ideas and don't realize how hard it actually is to do something like that.
    I'm just gonna be the first to say it.
    IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 2ricardo3 View Post
    Well, dont wanna be rude by saying this but, it is my car isint?

By saying that they were meant to be RWD is that it has all the looks and all the potential, to, in their times, that they were made RWD, they should have been made RWD.

I tought you were all more open minded than some other forums that I have been in. I dont think that the engine and trans are expensive.

Brent, what other options do you think I can have in a 6cyl with factory turbo?
    When you are building a RWD car, I don't know why you would bother with factory turbo. Honestly a naturally aspirated modern vq35/38 or honda v6 or 6g75 mitsu would make as much power as a stock RB motor and be less complicated.

2jz turbo is definitely the way to go if you want huge bang for buck with no thinking involved. Everything you need can be bought off the shelf.

I do 6g7x (v6) mitsu motors but they are not for people who like figuring things out and are not factory RWD except in trucks.

I would rather do a 4g63 RWD then an RB but if you want 6 cylinder sound then you probably want 2JZ. I am not an RB fan and I never will be. I would rather build an SR20 because its easier and cheaper to make MORE power then the RB can even handle.

I think people do get sensitive when RWD is held a standard that means other drivetrains are unfit for enjoyment. That is completely untrue. . Daytonas were meant to be FWD per Ma Mopar and Investors and Engineering and customers etc, that is what the time period was moving towards and a lot of innovation happened there that improved FWD transmissions and small engine designs.
    Daytona is the car that looks wise makes the most sense RWD, if you want an F body that is not an F body. They sometimes look like they should be RWD except when you see an 80's daytona with no body kit or wing and then kinda think.....man that pile of crap must be FWD!!!!!

You want to make a cool car that is "meant" to be RWD, maybe use a 3.8L turbo buick motor. I think that would be a cool swap. Domestic turbo into Daytona. I don't think anybody who knows cars would knock you for it. In the end, a bastardized car is better then a car in the scrapyard.

I took a 3.0 Sundance Duster that somebody bastardized with a 2.5L turbo and fixed it back to OEM drivetrain. I was glad the car did not get scrapped even though it is a pile.

BTW there is also a cool 4.0L Austrailian inline 6 that makes great power (as much as a 2JZ) when done right and has displacement that you can't get from Japan.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 05-28-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

People that actually did rwd conversation almost never ask any questions on a forum, and mostly post progress. Why? Because they know people won't be able to answer them. You want a unique RWD project, you're going to encounter hundreds if not, thousands of unique problems that you or your mechanic will have to over come.

Can a RWD Daytona be done? Of course it can, can you and your team do it? I don't know.

Oh, forget the "investment" part, you'll will not get back 70% of $$$$$ you put into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPDtECjVtXE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DXnTSNfr7g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_dGcta9YM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUa6aSaaYI

Kit you can buy to bolt whatever on. Hope you have $$$$$.
    http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...Number=4881596

You'll have better luck looking for information here.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rwd daytona

turbo addict

When you are building a RWD car, I don't know why you would bother with factory turbo. Honestly a naturally aspirated modern vq35/38 or honda v6 or 6g75 mitsu would make as much power as a stock RB motor and be less complicated.

2jz turbo is definitely the way to go if you want huge bang for buck with no thinking involved. Everything you need can be bought off the shelf.

I do 6g7x (v6) mitsu motors but they are not for people who like figuring things out and are not factory RWD except in trucks.

I would rather do a 4g63 RWD then an RB but if you want 6 cylinder sound then you probably want 2JZ. I am not an RB fan and I never will be. I would rather build an SR20 because its easier and cheaper to make MORE power then the RB can even handle.

I think people do get sensitive when RWD is held a standard that means other drivetrains are unfit for enjoyment. That is completely untrue. . Daytonas were meant to be FWD per Ma Mopar and Investors and Engineering and customers etc, that is what the time period was moving towards and a lot of innovation happened there that improved FWD transmissions and small engine designs.
    Daytona is the car that looks wise makes the most sense RWD, if you want an F body that is not an F body. They sometimes look like they should be RWD except when you see an 80's daytona with no body kit or wing and then kinda think.....man that pile of crap must be FWD!!!!!

You want to make a cool car that is "meant" to be RWD, maybe use a 3.8L turbo buick motor. I think that would be a cool swap. Domestic turbo into Daytona. I don't think anybody who knows cars would knock you for it. In the end, a bastardized car is better then a car in the scrapyard.

I took a 3.0 Sundance Duster that somebody bastardized with a 2.5L turbo and fixed it back to OEM drivetrain. I was glad the car did not get scrapped even though it is a pile.

BTW there is also a cool 4.0L Austrailian inline 6 that makes great power (as much as a 2JZ) when done right and has displacement that you can't get from Japan.
    The chevrolet LL8 4.2 inline 6 is a bad a$$ little motor too. 275hp stock. They can be had for cheap. Shouldn't have a problem finding one either. But there is very little aftermarket for them.

turbo addict

Just out of curiosity, How much do you plan to spend on this project? How much can the mentioned Nissan and Toyota brand cars be purchased for?

Mitsu booster

That's the kind of opinions people like me need, with unique projects and swaps have in mind, not the traditional "everyone does" V8 swap. I will not be trying to get my money back or my "investment", I will keep this car for the rest of my life and past it to my son when the time comes, that's if nothing bad happens.

Roachjuice, don't worry man, you will be the first on my list to get vids of that Daytona burning out some rear rubber. I'm not saying this year, or next year, or even 5 years from now. I'm aware that this kind of stuff requieres tons of greenpaper (or wierd colored ones if you live in Mexico).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast