Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4 Bolt mains! group buy

turbo addict

Re: 4 Bolt mains! group buy

ARP # 662-1007 bolts
    M10 X1.5 Unfortunately, these are sold in blister packs of five! You need six. I also bought some 3/8" washers too, but can't find the part #.
    Any grade 8 3/8" washer will work fine. I have a bunch of .120" thick 3/8" washers should you have difficulty finding some. I also have a spare 662-1007 bolt or two since I had to buy two packs. PM me if you want to purchase these from me.

I couldn't find the right length studs, so bolts were used. Maybe you'll have better luck than me finding studs.

The last engine I assembled I found the 4 bolt mains tightened up a bit too much when final torquing the outer bolts to the block. Everything was registered correctly but a little too tight for me. Took block/crank back in to machinist and everything was found to be in spec. The journals just had to be opened up by honing to the high side of spec. Just giving you a little heads up for your machinist when the time comes for machining.

This was the first time this happened on the three blocks I've added 4 bolt main to.
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 08-20-2021 at 10:11 PM.

turbo addict

at one time FWD performance had the hardware for the pro gram caps
    Idono if they still do but they would be a good place to start lookin for them..

at the very least they might have a record of the part/item numbers (?)

and thanks for the pics Todd
    I forget how different the front end of the common block motors is

and from the pics it looks like I was probably right about having to cut a step in the caps under the inner /stock location bolts as well as cutting the ends off to make the rear cap fit..

and I SUPPOSE.. a spare center thrust cap ain't a bad paper weight to have on the desk....

turbo addict

and..
    nice to finally see an L body common block ..cough ..with fuel pump location..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7591.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	292.1 KB 
ID:	65513  

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    and..
    nice to finally see an L body common block ..cough ..with fuel pump location..
    Very observant Johny. This is a very odd block. By the casting #'s it started out life as a TD block. BUT it doesn't have the TD increased deck height! This block was a unused block from a circle track racer from back in the day. After sonic checking, the cylinders walls have about the same meat in them as a std. bore block. No big deal right? Except this one was bored .060 over! Not too many 3.505" bore 2.2's out there. It actually displaces 2.3 ltrs. now. Hehe. Was made to beat up on all those Ford 2.3's in circle track racing.

I also have two other odd blocks. One looks like a CB, but uses early crank, oil pan, accessories, etc. The other cast in 93, has the fuel pump cutout, but has all the added web material in the bottom end. Uses early steel crank, oil pan and accessories.

Some weird blocks out there in small #'s.
    Todd

turbo addict

cool stuff .. I'd have liked to find a common block with the pump provision back when the wreckers still had 100 cars to check ..
    - wish I'd known about them back then..

I do have a nice known low mileage (20 000 -ish) 2.5 common block that was originally a brand new Chrysler replacement motor that was in my 87 shelby z when I bought in back in '96 not a rebuild but..new long block (T2 converted)

my one and only roller cam motor.. failed when it seized a lifter..spit a #3 exhaust valve follower and busted a piece of piston from the valve allowances to the edge of the piston.

lol that chunk waited 16 years wedged between the valve and seat ..until I finally took the engine apart & saw it

and the stuck lifter.. no matter how hard or how big the hammer.. I could not drive the little plunger down ..

so , I'll stick to my slider cams .. never had a failure.. I figure the new MP S60 cam and beehives is probably not going to have wear issues .. lacking the S60 springs..

I also have a good 413 cam & matched followers , still and a couple sets new sintered followers so I should be good to go..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123