Thread: Need a new turbo for 8v what are my options?

boostaholic

Need a new turbo for 8v what are my options?

Well i'm going to need a new turbo in my lancer, so I think i'll slightly upgrade the turbo while i'm there. I was looking at TU's website, and was thinking of going with the super60 upgrade, but i'm not looking for a lot of lag so should I stay with the .48 a/r housing or go with .63 a/r housing? I was also looking into a t3/t4 hybrid turbo as well, but there are so many options, what would be similar to say a super 60 turbo? And would I be better off with going with a hybrid or the tu super60 upgrade? Also I'm open to any other turbo options as long as i'm in the same price range as the other turbos I mentioned.

The motor is a 2.2 and I have a tu trans and a hughes stall converter and I think it has either a 3200 or 3500 stall (not sure). And I might go ahead and get ported manifolds and a ported +1 head either when I replace the turbo or not too long after.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Need a new turbo for 8v what are my options?

Honestly, if you're not trying to make a bunch of power (i.e. the stock turbo isnt hurting you anyway) i wouldn't go any bigger than the s60 compressor on a stock turbine side (stg1 / .48 combo). The stock-stock stg1/.48 combo i dont think holds you back until somewhere in the 300s whp, and even then, if you clip a stg1 wheel and port a .48 housing i feel like you could take it to 400whp (s60 wheel wont do that tho). So basically the .48 housing is ALWAYS good enough for a mild setup. I think the only good reason to change it out for a mild street car is if you simply prefer the turbo to spool up later and dont want to change the rest of the turbo (i.e. bolt a .63 housing on your turbo and keep going). Just my .02.

So i would definitely NOT get a t3/t4 hybrid. There is not really a t4 compressor side similar to a t3 s60. There are t4 wheels with similar inducer sizes, but they still have substantially bigger exducer diameters (so they'll be laggier even though they cant make much more power). So a 's60 sized t4 compressor' has pretty much no upsides.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Turbonetics made all .63 Chrysler flanged housings. Turbonetics and Garrett do not do business anymore with each other. Haven't for quite some time. So Turbonetics no longer sells .63 housings cut for garrett turbines. They use their own design now called f-1 turbines. My point is you would either need to have a Chrylser flange .63 housing in hand, or you will need to buy a new s-60 from Turbonetics. Used or NOS Garrett stage 1 housings are pretty much extinct. The true s-60 compressor wheels are proprietary too. As a result, Turbonetic wheels are considerably more expensive than Garrett or knockoffs. When you are shopping for turbos, find out exactly what your buying. Is it a 60 trim T3 Garrett or a true S-60 wheel from Turbonetics? The closest flowing to4B wheel to the s-60 would be the "s" wheel. Many rebuilders market this as a s-70 wheel. It works fine for mild upgrades as long as boost isn't run too high. Stay in it's efficiency island and it performs good. Put on a nice swingvalve and that would be a relatively inexpensive upgrade turbo for you. It spools nicely with the .48 housing.
    IMO, a 46 trim hybrid would be a huge step from a stocker. Way more turbo than it sounds like you need.
    Todd

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What he said.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I feel like you can probably get 90% of the performance potential of a 'true s60' wheel in it's special housing just by putting any old 60 trim t3 wheel in a machined stock housing. Polish the housing if it makes you feel better about it but my guess is since you wont spend $700 on it, you won't need bling to make you feel better about it.

boostaholic

So if I wanted maybe 250-280 whp, what would I want to go with?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jl93sundance View Post
    So if I wanted maybe 250-280 whp, what would I want to go with?
    S60 or equivalent.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    S60 or equivalent.
    This!

turbo addict

Compressor air flow rates
    t3 50 trim (stock) 30lbs/min
    t3 55 trim (TIII) 32lbs/min
    t3 60 trim (Ford 2.3) 34lbs/min
    True s-60 36lbs/min
    s-70 to4B "s" wheel 37lbs/min
    to4e 40 trim 36lbs min
    to4e 46 trim 41lbs/min

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

I'm making around 250whp on a stock turbo now 2.5 with a stone stock top end on 20+psi, ported exhaust mani, 2-piece w/ a 52mm TB, and with the AWIC system. Milkcarton is making 300 whp on a FWD-P .48 50 trim (Super 50?) I sold him on a similar setup on E85 and a FMIC. Both spool very quickly.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic

So in theory, the to4e should be able to be close to a true s60 in terms of how much power it will make? And has anybody had experience of how much lag this turbo has? Basically I'm thinking I want a turbo that I will have some room to grow into, but at the same time I don't want a very laggy turbo.

Well, for your stated 280whp power goal, i dont see any reason to go bigger than an upgraded t3 wheel since you are concerned about lag. Pretty much all the t04e wheels except for the 40 trim that noone buys/has WILL make more power than the t3 compressor wheels (any of them), but they come with a price in lag since they are much larger wheels. If you keep the stock turbine side, it will still not be a laggy turbo. This is a very subjective decision since your stated power goal is still in the T3 compressor power range, so there is a way of looking at it that says the only thing a bigger compressor will get you is a slower spooling turbo. But there's also the possibility you actually want to make more power than you said, and that would probably push you into the 'a t4 compressor is justified' range.

I still think all you need to do right now is get a stock garrett rebuilt with a 60 trim t3 wheel. My .02

turbo addict

To4E covers are not direct bolt ins. Require different compressor inlet. Then stock air box doesn't fit. Compressor outlet is not the same as t3 cover so either welding, silicone adapter(s), trimming end of cylinder head would be needed. Then stock lower intercooler hose may or may not fit depending on how you modified compressor outlet. Wastegate actuator mount is different than TII. So new actuator adapter and maybe new actuator is needed. To4E covers sometimes requires starter solenoid mount mods and perhaps firewall massaging depending on body style and cover. Most mods apply with to4B covers as well.
    So if you want a no fuss bolt in get a 60 trim, s-60, or s-70. IMO, any of these will fit your needs. Hell, the stock turbo could get you there! All the to4 series wheels are bigger exducer so they will take longer to spool than any t3 series turbos. IMO, turbos are like big camshafts and big carburetors on old school V8's, it comes down to a trade off. My advice, if in doubt about whether a turbo is too big, it probably is. Pick the smaller one if you can't decide. You want your cake and eat it too, get a GT series turbo GT2871R or GT2860R with maybe optional billet compressor wheel. These will require mods as well as a money tree (lol).
    Todd

turbo addict

I'm sticking with a stock Garret turbo for now. Pretty much everything else is upgraded (3" exhaust, 2.5" SV, Tyler Van Lant ported head with +1mm valves, Tyler Van Lant ported 2-piece intake, 52mm TB, beehive springs, F4 cam, ported exhaust manifold, air/water intercooler). This is still being assembled and will be tuned, at least in part, on a dyno. So, give me a few months and I'll have some real feedback....

- - - Updated - - -

Disco Potato!!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by chilort View Post
    I'm sticking with a stock Garret turbo for now. Pretty much everything else is upgraded (3" exhaust, 2.5" SV, Tyler Van Lant ported head with +1mm valves, Tyler Van Lant ported 2-piece intake, 52mm TB, beehive springs, F4 cam, ported exhaust manifold, air/water intercooler). This is still being assembled and will be tuned, at least in part, on a dyno. So, give me a few months and I'll have some real feedback....

- - - Updated - - -

Disco Potato!!!
    Local friend of mine ran a gt2871r on his 8v mini can. Ran 13.5@99 around 22psi. On the 16v hybrid setup same turbo it ran 13.5@105 on lower boost. I can't remember exactly. But it's a very good turbo. He still has it and I thought about buying it for my car and selling my super 60.