Thread: Stealth plenum worth it?

Garrett booster

Stealth plenum worth it?

I am pretty sure this has been covered a long time ago and I am beating a dead horse but I do not recall a clear answer to this; is the Stealth SOHC plenum an upgrade to our cars or is the Chrysler unit more than suffcient? Currently I am running p&p plenums, 1" spacers, udp, 180* t-stat, Mustang 5.0 coil, shorter coil wire, open element filter, ported 52mm tb, Dodge Ram trans cooler, exhaust, and the car feels pretty damn strong with plenty top end. Car is a 1994 Chrysler Lebaron LX. From what it looks like the Stealth unit was tuned for torque as it has a smaller plenum area but longer runners while the Chrysler unit has shorter runners but a fairly huge plenum area; I could be wrong? Any input?

Garrett booster

Re: Stealth plenum worth it?

Actually the chrysler runners are quite long. They are def tuned more for torque. The stealth lower intake manifold will physically bolt up but you'll have to figure out a different fuel rail setup not that its super hard...the hardest hurdle is the thermostat housing. Kirk made it work but i don't know that he was ever really happy with the way he did it....i think it functioned fine and everything though. Really your best bets are 1 of 2....1) find a montero lower intake and build a custom upper plenum like brent did....size you're runners according to what your goals are, or 2) build a twin intake like Ed did. Or theres always the easiest option and prolly the best one depending on what you want to do and thats....just keep the chrysler one. It's not as bad as you might think anyway to be honest.

turbo addict

Try to find a 12 valve Diamante intake setup. Its very similar but it should just fit onto our head setup.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Irocelectric93 View Post
    Actually the chrysler runners are quite long. They are def tuned more for torque. The stealth lower intake manifold will physically bolt up but you'll have to figure out a different fuel rail setup not that its super hard...the hardest hurdle is the thermostat housing. Kirk made it work but i don't know that he was ever really happy with the way he did it....i think it functioned fine and everything though. Really your best bets are 1 of 2....1) find a montero lower intake and build a custom upper plenum like brent did....size you're runners according to what your goals are, or 2) build a twin intake like Ed did. Or theres always the easiest option and prolly the best one depending on what you want to do and thats....just keep the chrysler one. It's not as bad as you might think anyway to be honest.
    Yeah the Chrysler unit is very nice and has lots of plenum volume and rising runners; it doesn't look bad to me. Was just wondering if there were any gains to be netted with swapping out to the Stealth unit, not to mention they do look cooler since they say "V6 3000" or something on them lol.

Try to find a 12 valve Diamante intake setup. Its very similar but it should just fit onto our head setup.
    I'll keep that in mind.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I think the mitsu manifolds are something to hold onto if you want to make something.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56