Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 86 2.2 Turbo I Head Gasket Just Went Out!! Quick fix

Mitsu booster

Re: 86 2.2 Turbo I Head Gasket Just Went Out!! Quick fix

Okay, I've been real busy with work the last few weeks and I finally got the the head to move but it doesn't even go up an inch. I've been trying to find some buddies to help left it, but no one that I know will help, even the ones that call themselves car guys, their just to lazy. So I was wanting to know (yes this is a dumb question) if there is anyone around the Wichita, Ks area that would be willing to give me a hand? I really don't want to screw this up!!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

A blow through setup will only weigh about 90lbs. all together. You should be able to use anyone to do this. I had my mom help me once when I was injured and couldn't pick it up by myself.

Mitsu booster

How far do I need it up to switch over the gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Downoninit View Post
    How far do I need it up to switch over the gasket?
    If it were me I would just pick it up and set it on the bench. Are you leaving the timing belt and everything on or what is your plan here?

Mitsu booster

Timing belt is off, I seem not to be able to break the bolts from the turbo housing to the downpipe and I still can't get either one of the manifolds off cause all the bolts on this thing are nothing but rust and I have a problem with breaking bolts so I'm trying to stay clear from that, and I don't know how.

You'll most likely have to cut the DP bolts off with a dremel or small angle grinder. They are cheap at the parts store so I would highly recommend going that route. This project will be very difficult and results may vary unless you can get the head up and at least hold it to clean the surfaces a bit.

Mitsu booster

I want to take it all the way off so I can test both the surfaces. I really hate cutting corners when it has to do with engines

Cut the DP bolts then. That's by far the best way to do it. It's a real pain as you'll probably cut through the springs two or three times before you can actually start in on the bolts. The cut pieces of spring will fall down and burn you leaving a sweet mark though.

turbo addict

Dp bolts are designed to snap so you can remove it easier. If you cut them they still won't come out since there is a step in the bolt.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Dp bolts are designed to snap so you can remove it easier. If you cut them they still won't come out since there is a step in the bolt.
    I've never had any luck breaking them. I sure have rounded off the heads of the 10mm nuts though. I cut them and then remove the nuts with a cutoff wheel ect. when the head is off. If you could break them easily that would be awesome though. I just haven't been able to do it yet I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I've never had any luck breaking them. I sure have rounded off the heads of the 10mm nuts though. I cut them and then remove the nuts with a cutoff wheel ect. when the head is off. If you could break them easily that would be awesome though. I just haven't been able to do it yet I guess.
    Down here in Tennessee, I use the proper size socket, give it a tad more than hand tightening force to loosen it and they come right out. I've reused my bolts numerous times. I think I still have the original ones that came on the car from 1987.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Down here in Tennessee, I use the proper size socket, give it a tad more than hand tightening force to loosen it and they come right out. I've reused my bolts numerous times. I think I still have the original ones that came on the car from 1987.
    See if I ever let you borrow my Kroil should you need some Mister.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    See if I ever let you borrow my Kroil should you need some Mister.
    hahaha, LOVE the south!!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Agreed. You CAN reuse the head bolts, so you don't need to buy those unless they are stretched out. You can do a quick test to see if they are by placing the threads next to each other and if they don't line up, the that bolt is stretched. Not a prefect method, but if you are trying to save a few bucks, that will help. There are many guys on the forum who have reused head bolts without failure, well immediate failure. The gasket isn't that much is it?

You definately want to buy new head bolts for this engine or youll break them trying to torque them.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

when lifting the head, be VERY CAREFUL that you arent slamming the head back down on the alignment pins, and gouging the head surface.

Ive seen many a head go to the machine shop to get decked that could have been cleaned and reinstalled because people gouged the surface with the alignment pins.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by jbloch View Post
    You definately want to buy new head bolts for this engine or youll break them trying to torque them.
    I would always use new ones unless I was in a pinch. The OP was needing or looking for a quick fix and inexpensive fix at that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12