Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anybody broke an OBX posi unit yet?

boostaholic

Re: Anybody broke an OBX posi unit yet?

MinivanRider

turbo addict

Re: Anybody broke an OBX posi unit yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    You are going the opposite of what I am saying. You are making a part that (on good oem axles) does not break even harder and less forgiving when you want something that will soak up some of the shockloads. People use aluminum rods for the same reason to save crankshafts. It is NOT for weight savings on serious motors. Aluminum driveshafts accomplisht he same thing. I don't care one bit if My axle tubes are giant as long as there is room.
    I don't want to make the axle tube harder. I want to make it tougher. If it is tougher it will be able to handle repeated high stress loading and large amounts of deflection without failing. I'm not so much interested in the peak strength as I am in the material's ability to "take a lickin' and keep on tickin'". Using a hollow design with the right alloy will enable both. Think hollow swaybar design.

I'm not saying aluminum couldn't do the job. I don't believe that aluminum has the correct attributes to be used in this application...at least not on a car that is going to be driven more than just down a dragstrip and the parts aren't going to be inspected after every outing.

- - - Updated - - -

These guys aren't replacing the diff bearings. Yes, I understand that's what the product is supposed to help keep you from having to do, but in our particular situation, we NEED to make sure that is correct. I would only use these as an additional support for the inner CV in lieu of the stock bushings.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234