Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Engine Clack on startup

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Engine Clack on startup

Quote Originally Posted by jefo View Post
    The pumps not bad, but I am going to refresh (take apart, clean, new seals) it and put a new spring in it to raise the max pressure above 50psi. I would do plastigauge, but is there a chance that tightening and removing the bearing caps another time would weaken the bolts? That is my only worry. And yea I will be following this: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...procedure.html
    If your using std everything, I wouldn't worry about plastiguaging, just double check the bearings say STD.

As for weakening the bolts????????? Sorry, this isn't turbododge, lol, I've reused main bolts numerous times and numerous cars, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    My pump had a crack in it and I believe it led to low oil pressure and the oil not staying in line when the car sat for a day or so. Thoroughly check that pump for cracks just to be sure.
    Pics?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    If your using std everything, I wouldn't worry about plastiguaging, just double check the bearings say STD.

As for weakening the bolts????????? Sorry, this isn't turbododge, lol, I've reused main bolts numerous times and numerous cars, no issues.

Pics?
    I'll get one and post it up. It was a hair-line crack I didn't notice until after I had some issues, mainly the noisy start up. Didn't take long for it to ruin the bottom end. :\
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Why mess with the pump besides checking it against FSM, your pressure will raise due to the new bearings, iirc the mains see inital pressure. I too have used my main bolts many times (four or more)......and rod bolts for that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

The pumps not bad, but I am going to refresh (take apart, clean, new seals) it and put a new spring in it to raise the max pressure above 50psi. I would do plastigauge, but is there a chance that tightening and removing the bearing caps another time would weaken the bolts? That is my only worry. And yea I will be following this: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...procedure.html
    Okay but again you wont be able to replace the last main bearing
    TD
    I should mention that the rear main isn't accessable on either the early or commonblock engines without removing the trans and rear seal plate. Also, the front main on the early engines requires removal of the front seal plate which means pulling the crank pully and timing sprocket. Unless the old bearings show extreme wear (missing babbit), replacing all but the rear (commonblock) or all but the front and rear (pre commonblock) should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post

Pics?
    Here's a picture. I'm assuming the crack allowed the oil to drain back into the pan, causing it to be dry at start up. Replacing the pump solved the issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130606_151055.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	457.3 KB 
ID:	45421
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Is that the aluminium pump? Wouldnt expect that//lucky you

- - - Updated - - -

He needs to check the anti drain back on the block as stated earlier...the boys car was crazy noisy and we changed it out and got rid of most of it, but he waited too long and later changed out short block.

Hybrid booster

So I am replacing the bearings. On 2 rods the bearings had a 7 and on 2 they had a 6. There was other writing on them that was all the same including 89 which shows they are original. Are these bearings different or what?

Also, How do you guys remove the upper main bearing with the thrust washer? I didn't see an oil feed hole to stick the homemade tool in...

The rod bearings actually look pretty good. The mains are definitely worn more than the rod bearings.

Hybrid booster

Can you post some pictures of the bearings? I will be doing this exact same thing in my car in the next week or two and what to have something to compare it to.

Almost same symptons. A quick knock or two on start up, a little at high rpm cold and more as you get the car nice and hot.

I would guess you could tap on the flange/thrust washer..make sure not to go the wrong way..ie the tab location on the bearing. That one will probably be tight.

So I am replacing the bearings. On 2 rods the bearings had a 7 and on 2 they had a 6. There was other writing on them that was all the same including 89 which shows they are original. Are these bearings different or what?

Also, How do you guys remove the upper main bearing with the thrust washer? I didn't see an oil feed hole to stick the homemade tool in...

The rod bearings actually look pretty good. The mains are definitely worn more than the rod bearings.

Hybrid booster

Got all the bearings swapped. Any idea why 2 rods would have bearings with a stamped 7 on them and 2 that have a 6? they were factory bearings.
    Last edited by jefo; 06-20-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Hybrid booster

Did that fix your problem? Not going to hijack your thread but I'm starting a new one either today or tomorrow so anyone keeping up with this one please chime in on mine.

turbo addict

Got all the bearings swapped. Any idea why 2 rods would have bearings with a stamped 7 on them and 2 that have a 6? they were factory bearings.
    Month that goes with the year.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Hybrid booster

Got it all back together and runs nice. I'll post pics of the bearings soon. I would recommend loosening all of the accessory belts to get out main bearing #1. Also keep everything really clean. And for the middle main bearing you need a softish tool to push the bearing around without scratching anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12