Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 93 Voyager 5-speed TBI

Garrett booster

93 Voyager 5-speed TBI (Brake problems)

Well, I posted enough about it, but I'm finally starting a project log about it.

I bought this 93 voyager in November last year, it was bone stock. The previous owner thought the shift cables were bad, but just the retaining clips had come off. He also took it upon himself to paint the steel wheels silver and green. I haven't got around to spraying them black yet. Only things I've done to it so far is recharge the AC, cut the converter off since it had come apart and was rattling inside the case (no emissions in MD for a 20 year old car), put in a set of booger shifter bushings, and an SRT-4 shifter rod and ball onto a duster base (kept the van one stock). This makes the rod a little shorter, but it's angled so it puts it closer to the seat, I don't have to lean to put it into 5th anymore. I had put SRT-4 wheels on it but ended up selling them shortly after. In February the timing belt broke and I hurt my back so I couldn't work on it. I got it running again about 2 weeks ago. It had a horrible oil leak that I thought was the headgaset, so I changed the headgasket, timing belt, and tensioner. Turns out it was the cam seal that was leaking the whole time, replaced that last weekend. I just recently took it on a 10 hour trip and it gave me no problems after I re-set the cam timing (it was off a tooth, fixed it at a MD rest stop).

Here's a few pictures I have of it and a few of the K-car I bought in December after liking the van so much.

Before SRT shifter:

After SRT shifter:

Comparing the two:

A few pics for fun:

Pics of the van's icky bits:

And a picture of the van after a deer tried to get into the passenger door. The insurance company paid out $700 more than I had paid for the van, so I've basically been paid to own it at this time, including parts and repairs.

I've pretty much decided I need to turbo the van, and possibly lower it a little. I'm adding big brakes, I have the rotors and pads, I just need to the get the caliper brackets and do it. I plan on doing what Vigo did and adding a turbo to the TBI motor, but the electronics aren't going to be too fun since I want everything to work as well as it does now. The Reliant is going to stay stock motor wise, but will get lowered with neon struts up front, and coilover springs in the rear.
    Last edited by INVUJerry; 08-17-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 93 Voyager 5-speed TBI

Easiest way to lower the front is car struts and springs, which is a pretty big drop. The way to lower it slightly less than that is to use car struts and cut your stock van springs to suit for ride height. Unfortunately cutting the springs more than once is labor intensive. You can get a set of KYB GR2/excelG on ebay for the front for under $100 shipped.

Lowering the rear is not that easy. You can remove leafs or dearch leafs. This will give you less travel and possibly less spring rate which means your bumpstops better be present and accounted for. Or, you can make 'lowering plates' where you add a steel plate between the hubs and the axle, and drill a new set of holes for the brakes which is a couple inches up from where it bolts to the axle. That lowers the rear without affecting your suspension travel or stiffness. You can also put a rear axle from an AWD van onto your stock leaf springs. The downsides of this are that it only comes in the bigger 5x114.3 pattern which wont match your front unless you swap wheel bearings and rotors up there too. There are MANY wheels that have both 5x100 and 5x114.3 so you can still have matching wheels if you want to. You also have to put something in the rear wheel bearings where the CV axles would go to hold the bearings together. On mine i had a friend cut down some front outer cv joints and stuck those in there for now.

Overall i would recommend the lowering plates over anything else just for simplicities sake. You can also use the lowering plates to use car disc brakes in the rear of the van if you want since those dont bolt directly to the van axle because of differences in the bolt patterns. Since you make the new bolt pattern on the plates you can make it match whatever brakes you want to use.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

My buddy used Daytona struts/springs on his van and enjoyed the ride, and I loved the way it looked. For now since I load down the rear quite a bit I'll just leave the rear stock, unless I can use air shocks or something to adjust it as needed.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

What did you do for the shifter again? I need to do that,

Few options for rear discs, redrill the flange and some minor welding or plates.

How to lower a Minivan
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

I just removed the shifter shaft from the Srt base, and bolted it into the van/sundance base. It was really straight forward after I looked at it for a minute. Remove the 3 8mm bolts, the spring and the shaft, do the same on the other shifter and replace it lol. Took me maybe 20-25 minutes including a beer. Since the SRT knob has an issue coming off I ripped up a receipt and stuffed it in the knob to tighten it up. It's harder to get off but worth it to not rip the knob off going into 2nd anymore!

Thanks for the links, I'll have to look them over again. This is the family hauler and also my take trash to the dump van so I don't want to slam the rear. I also plan on towing in the future. I do need to do something, when there is weight in the rear seat area it really lowers the van something serious.

There is an airbag helper spring kit for caravans. I kind of want one for the same reasons. I think what would be really cool would be just removing leafs until it sits where you want it, and then adjust up for loads with the air springs.

I think you can get good old air shocks which would be a lot simpler but wouldnt do jack for lowering.

Garrett booster

I was going to remove a larger spring and add a small spring from another pack to hopefully lower it and raise the spring rate. The air lift 59520 kit looks like a good idea but its a little pricey for my low budget mindset at $270.

boostaholic

There was some talk of de-arching in a couple of threads recently. May want to check into those threads if you have more time than money. I might try that also.
    Last edited by Rrider; 05-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    MinivanRider

The thing about dearching is it's a fairly expensive way to get a fairly compromised result. I think spending the same or less money to make the lowering plates turns out better in the end since it doesnt change your ride/handling/capacity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    The thing about dearching is it's a fairly expensive way to get a fairly compromised result. I think spending the same or less money to make the lowering plates turns out better in the end since it doesnt change your ride/handling/capacity at all.
    $100, didn't compromise my capacity at all.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

If you lower the rear without significantly increasing the spring rate, you definitely lower your capacity. I dont think dearching makes the springs much stiffer, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    If you lower the rear without significantly increasing the spring rate, you definitely lower your capacity. I dont think dearching makes the springs much stiffer, if any.
    2" drop, sagged another 1/2', still towed and carried the same weight, no issues, same as when it was at full height. Yes, de-arching slightly decreases spring rate but a few inch's in reality, is nothing.

Garrett booster

So, I had just enjoyed my van for a while, drove it to work, towed a few cars with it, put different wheels on it.

And then it started overheating. I went to check the oil, and found this:

So, I'm sure the head is cracked. When I had changed the headgasket last time I found stop leak in the headgasket. I was hoping it was related to the radiator, but it turns out not.

Anyway, I had been trying to sell my Reliant, since it needs some work. I went to fix it, and found a bunch of rust that had been previously covered up. A drunk facebook message later and I'm trading the reliant for a rebuilt turbo 2.2. Going to have to work on doing the swap over the winter, but I'm excited about it. I had wanted to do an SRT-4 swap, but I like the prospect of keeping my AC and PS without any work.

Now, to do research on getting a computer hooked up for this.

Might want to consider getting a turbo SBEC and just adding the circuits to your TBI harness.

I noticed something about your van... it does NOT have factory installed air conditioning. That was dealer installed a/c so be kind of careful messing with it too much since those parts aren't easy to find.

Garrett booster

It's bit factory? That explains the crappy idle with it on! And that sucks since it's leaking slightly.

Minor leak is probably an easy fix. The factory stuff has an a/c switch input to kick up the idle. It's possible your aftermarket stuff is not using it.

Garrett booster

It would cycle at idle really hard and eventually stall with the AC on, I ended up just run in it while driving.

Only time ive seen AC compressors drag the motor down enough to stall is when the system was massively overcharged or the compressor was about to lock up. Usually either one will squeal the belt like crazy. If it's not making belt noise it's probably not THAT bad.

Garrett booster

Yeah it wasn't squeaking, and the system hadn't been overcharged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast