Re: 1987 DSC Timing belt brand?

From order form:

1 x Fidanza Adjustable Square Tooth Cam Gears (FDZAACG) = $99.00

Well, hard to say at this point.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ohlarikd View Post
    Hey - sorry, haven't been here in a while, and decided to check up on Wayne
    What was the outcome of the pulley noise?

Also - Did I give you the receipts? If not, I will check, and I am sure we will meet up at some car show soon, as always. I also have a sunroof interior trim that is one piece - just noticed it hanging from a rafter in my garage. As for the original pulley, I think I threw it away - cannot locate.

Derek
    hey Derek!
    The old cam gear is in the parts box you gave me, (now i have two)! Have it scheduled for the swap next Wednesday.
    I think I have MOST of the receipts! (I say 'most' because you posted that you found one)!

thanks! Wayne

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne in NJ View Post
    hey Derek!
    The old cam gear is in the parts box you gave me, (now i have two)! Have it scheduled for the swap next Wednesday.
    I think I have MOST of the receipts! (I say 'most' because you posted that you found one)!

thanks! Wayne
    I would try to verify visually that the Fidanza gear is indeed a round tooth and not square. Hmm, I would have to find web images to figure that out. Anyway, no harm in swapping I guess to see if that is the source of the noise.

The 'receipt' I have is an emailed invoice. The ones you have then are paper ones since 1991...

Garrett booster

I would try to verify visually that the Fidanza gear is indeed a round tooth and not square. Hmm, I would have to find web images to figure that out. Anyway, no harm in swapping I guess to see if that is the source of the noise.
    My friend, Mike, (currently resto-modifying a '69 vette), spotted it while fine-tooth combing the car, when I brought it to his house to take a look. (Side note: he LOVES the car! Took him for a ride and he admitted his late 80's 5.0 Mustang wouldn't be able to keep up with it! He also later modified that Mustang for racing at Englishtown, along with other cars, over the years) I expected him to glance under the hood, but he spent about a half hour going over the engine compartment. He saw 'light' between the gears and timing belt, that's when he determined it was round-toothed. His Dad, (ALSO a major 'gear-head') showed up in HIS resto-modified '55 Chevy, took a look and also confirmed the gear situation. (BTW: They both congratulated me on having such a nice car, and threatened me if I didn't take care of it)! Then, at the BK in Somerset show, Ralph also saw it, as he posted.

Happy Independence Day, BTW!

Hybrid booster

My friend, Mike, (currently resto-modifying a '69 vette), spotted it while fine-tooth combing the car, when I brought it to his house to take a look. (Side note: he LOVES the car! Took him for a ride and he admitted his late 80's 5.0 Mustang wouldn't be able to keep up with it! He also later modified that Mustang for racing at Englishtown, along with other cars, over the years) I expected him to glance under the hood, but he spent about a half hour going over the engine compartment. He saw 'light' between the gears and timing belt, that's when he determined it was round-toothed. His Dad, (ALSO a major 'gear-head') showed up in HIS resto-modified '55 Chevy, took a look and also confirmed the gear situation. (BTW: They both congratulated me on having such a nice car, and threatened me if I didn't take care of it)! Then, at the BK in Somerset show, Ralph also saw it, as he posted.

Happy Independence Day, BTW!
    The Fidanza description says 'The tooth edges are beveled to increase belt life'. I think they have a slight slope to them, making them 'look' round. Perhaps this bevel results in more noise? Who knows! Or I just was sent the wrong part and didn't notice. Take a picture of the stock square tooth and this Fidanza after the swap. OR carry them in your glove box and I will see it one day...

Garrett booster

The Fidanza description says 'The tooth edges are beveled to increase belt life'. I think they have a slight slope to them, making them 'look' round. Perhaps this bevel results in more noise? Who knows! Or I just was sent the wrong part and didn't notice. Take a picture of the stock square tooth and this Fidanza after the swap. OR carry them in your glove box and I will see it one day...
    Received info that Dayco brand belts are infamous for squeaking. You, no doubt, don't remember the belt brand....(that question's a BIG stretch, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask)................

Hybrid booster

Received info that Dayco brand belts are infamous for squeaking. You, no doubt, don't remember the belt brand....(that question's a BIG stretch, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask)................
    Indeed I believe it was Dayco, since it was from Autozone down the street. I actually had the packaging but threw it away when I sold you the car. I mean, who would need that information anyway?...
    Last edited by ohlarikd; 07-05-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Garrett booster

Indeed I believe it was Dayco, since it was from Autozone down the street. I actually had the packaging but through it away when I sold you the car. I mean, who would need that information anyway?...
    Perhaps I should just get the belt swapped.....

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Perhaps I should just get the belt swapped.....

I know it's all a matter of personal opinion, but I would never trust my motor to anything but a Gates(preferably) or Goodyear timing belt. Find one at your local NAPA store. I've never had any luck with Dayco. Of course my head and block are shaved, so I now have an interference engine. I lose a timing belt, and it's going to cost me more than a belt! Things will go crunch in my engine...

Garrett booster

Emailed a photo of the gear to the Fidenza folks, they said it LOOKED like the round tooth version to the guy that responded.
    Took it to the mechanic that has worked on these over the years, (and is currently working on ANOTHER Shelby Charger, though, he sent the motor out on it for the rebuild), and had him do the swap.

Car sounds great while driving, but, @ idle, it makes a sound (best I can describe), similar to a water pump going bad. Soon as I put it in gear, the sound is gone. Mechanic did NOT replace the idler pulley (correct name?), saying the old one seemed fine. (I had gotten it 'just-in-case', as the parts guy said 'OK' to return if not used). Gear-head neighbor thinks that MAY be the problem, change in 'torque'(?) when not in gear vs IN gear...

Mechanic wants me to bring it in next week, but I am, as usual, just checking here for opinions/etc.

Hybrid booster

Its a belt tensioner. We don't have a idler pulley. I don't even have guess for this noise.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
    Its a belt tensioner. We don't have a idler pulley. I don't even have guess for this noise.
    It was my best/worst part name guess...

Hybrid booster

So changing the timing gear did not make any difference in the sound you hear? Or is this a new sound? You're not driving a Lexus you know

Are you sure its not the clutch noise when not engaged? Does the sound come in and out when you press the clutch?

Garrett booster

So changing the timing gear did not make any difference in the sound you hear? Or is this a new sound? You're not driving a Lexus you know

Are you sure its not the clutch noise when not engaged? Does the sound come in and out when you press the clutch?
    Hey! Yes a 'new' sound! (And yes, it DID make a difference! Squeaking is gone). The NEW sound is when it's not in gear, and, as I wrote, similar to a water pump on its way out!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor JDIZZ's Avatar

Hey! Yes a 'new' sound! (And yes, it DID make a difference! Squeaking is gone). The NEW sound is when it's not in gear, and, as I wrote, similar to a water pump on its way out!
    If the belt is to tight it will make a noise like you are describing.

Almost forgot, nice car and it was also nice to see and talk to you in Matawan at the car show.

JD
    Matawan, NJ
    Last edited by JDIZZ; 07-18-2013 at 04:55 AM.
    Joe Dzwil
    88 Daytona
    87 SC

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by JDIZZ View Post
    If the belt is to tight it will make a noise like you are describing.

Almost forgot, nice car and it was also nice to see and talk to you in Matawan at the car show.

JD
    Matawan, NJ
    Joe!
    FINALLY! Of the 4 people with which I 'shot the breeze' that night, you're the one whose name I COULDN'T remember! LOL! (The excitement of meeting someone that 'knows' these cars must have drained the brain cells...all both of them)! (At this point, I've forgotten the other guys names too)!

Am planning on attending this week, (if it doesn't rain...like it did last Friday)! Any chance you'll show with a TD?

Garrett booster

Joe!
    Am planning on attending this week, (if it doesn't rain...like it did last Friday)! Any chance you'll show with a TD?
    Between the heat and getting ready to close shop for the upcoming vacation, starting to doubt I'm getting to ANY shows for the next few weeks....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12