Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1987 DSC Timing belt brand?

Garrett booster

1987 DSC Timing belt brand?

I have an '87 Dodge Shelby Charger. (2.2, of course)
    Am getting the aftermarket timing gear replaced with an original, (aftermarket adjustable gear has rounded teeth, the lower gear as well as the belt have square, resulting in squeaking), and figured that I may as well get the belt replaced too!

Can anyone recommend for/against any specific timing belt brands?

Thanks!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: 1987 DSC Timing belt brand?

Any are fine, Gates, Goodyear, Contitech, Dayco, etc.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    Any are fine, Gates, Goodyear, Contitech, Dayco, etc.
    Thanks!

turbo addict

Wayne,
    Yes you should have square timing belt and pulleys on car. The aftermarket (Fidanza and Relentless Racing) made both round and square versions. Adjustable cam pulleys are a good thing, you just need the correct one for your application.
    Todd

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Wayne,
    Yes you should have square timing belt and pulleys on car. The aftermarket (Fidanza and Relentless Racing) made both round and square versions. Adjustable cam pulleys are a good thing, you just need the correct one for your application.
    Todd
    Any links to a square toothed version before i revert back to the stock one? And is it a big improvement, (remember Mr. non-mechanic here), to have one? (Did I hear correctly, it 'simply' makes timing adjustment easier)?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne in NJ View Post
    Any links to a square toothed version before i revert back to the stock one? And is it a big improvement, (remember Mr. non-mechanic here), to have one? (Did I hear correctly, it 'simply' makes timing adjustment easier)?
    www.turbosunleashed.com www.fwdperformance.com

The only benefit is if your anal and want to set the cam up to its installed specs or you want to play with your powerband, advancing it helps spool but at the expense of top end power, retarding does the opposite.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Does the adjustable cam increase the value/desirability of the car? I DON'T plan on racing it, have Antique plates/etc., though not trying to keep it all original, (too late for that with the Spearco intercooler, which I DON'T plan on having removed). Not planning on selling it...unless the right price is offered of course!!

Won't do anything for value.

Garrett booster

Won't do anything for value.
    I figured as much, (even with my uninformed knowledge base!). Save a buck to put towards other things...like the AC upgrade to current refrigerant!

turbo addict

I figured as much, (even with my uninformed knowledge base!). Save a buck to put towards other things...like the AC upgrade to current refrigerant!
    Wayne you'll not love the performance of r134a with a r-12 condenser. Less efficiency for more money spent. If your system has lost it's r-12 charge, then that is a different story. If your into saving money, don't spend a dime on a stock cam pulley besides postage. I've probably personally thrown out 25 of them over the years. I know one TM guy that bought NOS ones for $40 each because they had some flash rust on his originals. Now guess what happened to his new ones? That man's nuts, grab em!

Seriously, the adjustable cam pulley is a fine adjustment type of product. Since your cylinder head has been resurfaced when it got ported, replacing a stock cam pulley without an offset keyway will result in your camshaft being retarded a couple/few degrees. It will still run fine, but not as good as it could/should. BTW- used ones pop up on the forum boards quite often for around $50.
    Todd

Garrett booster

Hey Todd!
    Forgive my lack of memory (I'm a grandpa now...so I'm old...confused, or, at least I can CLAIM that's the reason!!), but aren't you a previous owner of my '87?
    The local AC upgrade guy (his specialty) said the same thing you did! (The AC worked fine the first time I drove it, 2nd time it was weak, 3rd time, gone...this was last year, mid summer). Took it to him based on my mechanic's recommendation, and the AC man lamented he had only sold the last of his r-12 stockpile a month or two before...(my usual luck)! He said I'd need a new dryer, flush/clean the system, and it will never be as strong as the original, but since it's a show verses a DD car, updates SHOULD last a while.

As far as the cam gear, I don't mind spending some $$$ on the car, but when I CAN save.... so, perhaps I will 'splurge' on the square tooth pulley, considering what you've written! (Ralph, '85 DSC owner, GAVE me an original that just needs cleaning up. He wants to purchase the one I'm having taken out).
    -Wayne

turbo addict

I'm no spring chicken either Wayne. Yes, I owned your car previous to Derek, It was owned before me by another TM guy (Tom Piazza) for like 17 years. IIRC, he bought the car with around 30k miles in about 1990. I hope Derek gave you the shoe box full of receipts that came with the car. I restored the SC's interior and exterior, Derek added several more personal touches. LED dash lights, aftermarket wheels and steering wheel, etc and rebuilt top half of motor. Started out as a preventive headgasket change and snowballed. If you have a round tooth pulley on there, Derek must have added that.
    R-12 is getting hard to get, but many guys stockpiled so much of it, they got stuck with it. Now some of them still have surplus but have no calling for it. They basically waited too long to sell/use it. Many A/C guys thought that would be their personal 401K. Worst secret ever kept, as everyone had ample time to hoard it. You must have a leak in your system somewhere. R134a will give lowered performance, but it should be consistent performance. If he can find the leak, you should be okay running r134a. It would work much better if you had a dual pass condenser (part in front of radiator).
    Hey Todd!
    Forgive my lack of memory (I'm a grandpa now...so I'm old...confused, or, at least I can CLAIM that's the reason!!), but aren't you a previous owner of my '87?
    The local AC upgrade guy (his specialty) said the same thing you did! (The AC worked fine the first time I drove it, 2nd time it was weak, 3rd time, gone...this was last year, mid summer). Took it to him based on my mechanic's recommendation, and the AC man lamented he had only sold the last of his r-12 stockpile a month or two before...(my usual luck)! He said I'd need a new dryer, flush/clean the system, and it will never be as strong as the original, but since it's a show verses a DD car, updates SHOULD last a while.

As far as the cam gear, I don't mind spending some $$$ on the car, but when I CAN save.... so, perhaps I will 'splurge' on the square tooth pulley, considering what you've written! (Ralph, '85 DSC owner, GAVE me an original that just needs cleaning up. He wants to purchase the one I'm having taken out).
    -Wayne

Not wanting to start a freon war but every car I've converted has had similiar performance to R12. My diesel van is so cold I have turn the heat on. Minivan, on problem cooling it with 4 people on a hot day, even converted a 70's Grand Prix and it blew so cold it started to freeze the vents, Granted R12 is still better but hey, we gotta move on sometimes,

Garrett booster

Not wanting to start a freon war but every car I've converted has had similiar performance to R12. My diesel van is so cold I have turn the heat on. Minivan, on problem cooling it with 4 people on a hot day, even converted a 70's Grand Prix and it blew so cold it started to freeze the vents, Granted R12 is still better but hey, we gotta move on sometimes,
    I agree. If it is done properly, you only lose a few degrees of cold. Not enough to even notice unless you check it with a digital thermometer.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    It would work much better if you had a dual pass condenser (part in front of radiator).
    Is that an available add-on?

turbo addict

I disagree, but I live in AZ where temperature in summer can get to 120F.

turbo addict

Is that an available add-on?
    I believe the 4 seasons replacement condenser is a dual pass design. I have one in my 85 New Yorker. I certainly can tell the difference in r-134a converted car vs r-12 or original equipped r-134a vehicle, and I live in Minnesota. Most people won't go to the expense of getting condenser changed. They find the leak, put on the conversion fittings, change the dryer (maybe), recharge and call it good to go. Many don't bother flushing, pulling a vacuum, changing oil, condenser, putting correct amount of oil and refrigerant, or anything like that.
    Todd

turbo addict

They are switching it up again. The new refrigerant is going to be r1234yf. First chrysler to get it is the cherokee.

Hybrid booster

Hey - sorry, haven't been here in a while, and decided to check up on Wayne

That is a Fidanza SQUARE tooth pulley, ordered from Turbos Unleashed (just checked my receipt). Unless I was sent the wrong one, but I don't think so. Your mechanic is speculating a noise is the gear - does he really know? I don't recall any noise, I'd have to hear it.

As for updates to that car, don't forget I put a full 3" exhaust with a mandrel bent swing valve. THAT is what lead to the head gasket change... and porting and over sized valves... and turbo rebuild... The original intention was to just add a Catalytic Converter to pass emissions in NJ.

What was the outcome of the pulley noise?

Also - Did I give you the receipts? If not, I will check, and I am sure we will meet up at some car show soon, as always. I also have a sunroof interior trim that is one piece - just noticed it hanging from a rafter in my garage. As for the original pulley, I think I threw it away - cannot locate.

Derek

Hybrid booster

HI Derek,
    Yes I was the one that told Wayne the belt seemed to be making noise. At first I thought it was too tight but that wasn't it so I thought I was just hearing things. His mechanic looked at it and noticed the round tooth pulley with a square tooth belt. At a car show I confirmed it. They must have sent you the wrong pulley - it looks very similar. I gave him one of my old sqaure ones to use. Hoping he sells his round tooth one to me. :-)

Ralph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast