Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Running .035" Squish In 8V Cylinder Head

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Running .035" Squish In 8V Cylinder Head

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    You going to measure with clay or something if there is enough clearance rob?
    Should be able to measure it with a dial caliper, as long as the crushed thickness of the head gasket is known.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

That's how I did it, used clay, then used some vernier calipers, worked like a charm.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I'm not understanding the need for clay.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

put clay on the piston. oil face of valve. install head and used headgasket. torque head.

rotate crank to highest piston. rotate cam.

remove head. measure squished clay spot to see if there is adequate clearance from piston to valve.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

put clay on the piston. oil face of valve. install head and used headgasket. torque head.

remove head. measure squished clay spot to see if there is adequate clearance from piston to valve.

Brian
    Ah that makes sense for piston to valve. I was still on squish.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Could be used to measure squish probably also.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    Could be used to measure squish probably also.
    I suppose. I've been doing a lot of reading on this (unfortunately) and really the best way is piston deck height + head gasket compressed thickness.
    So if your piston is .005 down in the bore, and your gasket is .035 thick, you have .040 clearance.
    If your piston is .010 above the deck, and your gasket is .040, you have .030 clearance.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: Running .035&quot; Squish In 8V Cylinder Head

Brian
    I perfer checker springs myself, clay does have its uses time to time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I suppose. I've been doing a lot of reading on this (unfortunately) and really the best way is piston deck height + head gasket compressed thickness.
    Check over on Moparts Mike, there is usally lots of discussion on the subject with the B/RB crowd. Mike correct on how to check for squish and it is the way most people usally verify.

Working on clearing the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    I perfer checker springs myself, clay does have its uses time to time.
    like a light spring? so you rotate the cam to max lift and the crank to TDC and then push down on the valve to check to see if there is clearance?

that does sound easier than clay lol.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

like a light spring? so you rotate the cam to max lift and the crank to TDC and then push down on the valve to check to see if there is clearance?

that does sound easier than clay lol.

Brian
    Yes.

You setup the cylinder you are checking and install a dial indicator on the valve retainer and just push down on the valve at any point in the cycle to see how much clearance you have.

Working on clearing the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Yes.

You setup the cylinder you are checking and install a dial indicator on the valve retainer and just push down on the valve at any point in the cycle to see how much clearance you have.
    oooh. ill have to get some of these if i do a 16v conversion.

thanks

Brian

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

The cam degree kit I bought from Summit came with a checker spring.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Back to the original topic I built my Super 60 Omni engine with .035 squish and is reasonably detonation friendly. I can run as much as 24 psi on pump gas depending on weather etc. and after 14 years I finally blew one headgasket. However running .035 squish means my pistons are .033 "proud" or above the deck. I have been thinking about why Chrysler always always runs turbo pistons so far below the deck totally ignoring the squish theory. It occurs to me they may be more interested in crevice area/volume than squish. Crevice is totally minimized with the piston below the deck. With the piston proud the crevice now includes the headgasket bore which is about 3.540 over a 3.445 bore and worse yet the piston crown is usually about .030 smaller than the bore so the crevice area/volume increases drastically. The crevice is the area/volume above the top ring to the top of the piston and is detrimental to a good burn.

Thanks
    Randy

On the first page of this thread, FiveDigits and 4LBodies both recommended milling the deck and, reading between the lines, I took it that reducing the volume of gasses trapped in what Randy calls the "crevice" helps control detonation.

I took it that way because that is the difference between milling the head and milling the deck.

Five Digits -
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post994568

4LBodies -
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...l=1#post994602
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

I'm glad you revived this old thread!!

My crevice area thoughts have been confirmed as some racing pistons are now using anti-detonation grooves.

Thanks
    Randy

http://www.cp-carrillo.com/gi-255687...n-grooves.html

PS: Can you see the picture?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F142745958.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	62318

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Here's a good read: http://www.msbr.com.br/Documentos/pistonsquish.pdf

I was looking at it from a "chamber softening" for nitrous standpoint, but the data is good data, regardless of application.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

That was a REALLY good read! Thanks!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Some pretty interesting results in there, eh?

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

I want more! LOL I had heard of this, but I had a different mental image of what it meant. I understood what was going on, but not exactly how. I'd really like to see this study done with all kinds of designs. One thing I did notice is that the study was focused more on partial/light loading than all out power. I get that these ideas help combustion and such, but I wonder if or how much they break down when at max load?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

And that's the question!!!

Thanks
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    . I get that these ideas help combustion and such, but I wonder if or how much they break down when at max load?

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I want more! LOL I had heard of this, but I had a different mental image of what it meant. I understood what was going on, but not exactly how. I'd really like to see this study done with all kinds of designs. One thing I did notice is that the study was focused more on partial/light loading than all out power. I get that these ideas help combustion and such, but I wonder if or how much they break down when at max load?
    Pretty sure I been telling you this is all bad for racing right?

This paper is chasing efficiency. Efficiency means avoiding knock at light load situations to allow running as lean as possible while still meeting emissions targets. I am interested by that deep piston, in that it made for unstable combustion at light loads. I wonder how it behaves at high load? Not a good piston design weight wise unless its a factory cast piston. Forged they would have to use a super thick crown.

In a full load setup, that "late knock" is not what you are aiming to avoid. You are trying to avoid peak cylinder pressure spikes. The poor combustion of the large chamber flat top piston is lovely under high load. The efficient setup gets too efficient at high load.

When the 8 valve turbo was designed, turbochargers of small size usually couldn't even be mapped above 30psi, cause they just didn't work up there. CAD designed billet compressor wheels can make 4-5 bars of pressure or more these days.

My point here being that an engine optimized for n/a performance running 1 bar of boost is not "that far" out of its comfort zone. Try running 45psi boost on that engine now. Would you rather run 45 pounds of boost, or 25 because your chamber is killing you?

------------------------------
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast