Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brakes won't bleed! Weird...

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Brakes won't bleed! Weird...

This is getting really frustrating. New master cylinder (again), bench bled, bled wheels in order, RR, LR, at this point the pedal is getting firmer, RF and the pedal goes to the floor again, LF no help. What on earth could cause this? Why does bleeding the front cause the system to go flat? This is the second time I've been through this; I thought my new master cylinder was bad so I got another one, and same problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Brakes won't bleed! Weird...

I have found that it can help to remove the bleeder screws and let it gravity bleed overnight. Just make sure MC is full and put rags down just in case. Seems to speed things up for me anyway.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

You didn't bleed the master properly, see my last post in your other thread.

Also, it has a prop valve and you could have triggered it, its a diagonal split system, so LF/RR are paired and RF/LR paired.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanmanČ View Post
    You didn't bleed the master properly, see my last post in your other thread.

Also, it has a prop valve and you could have triggered it, its a diagonal split system, so LF/RR are paired and RF/LR paired.
    If I did trigger it, what do I do now? BTW I bled the MC again with the bleeder kit. What's the proper bleeding sequence then? I thought it was RR, LR, RF, LF?
    Last edited by John B; 05-18-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

turbo addict

You didn't put calipers on the wrong side did you? I ask because I have done this on my omni once.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    If I did trigger it, what do I do now? BTW I bled the MC again with the bleeder kit. What's the proper bleeding sequence then? I thought it was RR, LR, RF, LF?
    Jack the brake pedal. I usually bleed the rear then front, or if you want to follow proceedure, do LR/RF or any combination of pairs.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    You didn't put calipers on the wrong side did you? I ask because I have done this on my omni once.
    I didn't change calipers, this whole thing started when I put new brake shoes on the back.

Jack the brake pedal.
    Don't follow. Do you mean pump the pedal or lock it in full down position, or?

I didn't change calipers, this whole thing started when I put new brake shoes on the back.
    Did you replace the wheel cylinders? They could be letting air in!

Don't follow. Do you mean pump the pedal or lock it in full down position, or?
    No, stomp it hard, jack it, like if your hitting it with a big hammer.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

You have to bleed it in the proper sequence. If you don't know the sequence, I have a 91 FSM laying around and can look it up for you. Every car is different, I know on my 92 R/T it is a split system (as turbovanman referred to) but on my 06 Dakota, which I just put front hoses/calipers on, I only had to bleed the front.

Once you get open the brake system and get air in the line, it can take a LOT of pumping of the pedal to get it out. On my Dakota, the pass side front, the line is longer, and it took me a while to get all the air out of that line. You're working on rear brakes, there is a lot of line there. When I did the entire brake system on my 85 Turismo, it felt like it took forever to get the rear brakes bled.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict

Most rwd vehicles are front and rear split while fwd are diagonal split.

I've never ever bled brakes in sequence and never had an issue, I know countless others like me lol. As long as you properly bench bleed the mc, use a good bleeding system, you'll have wicked brakes.

Did you replace the wheel cylinders? They could be letting air in!

Yeah, new wheel cylinders.

you'll have wicked brakes.
    I've got those for sure! All the way to the floor and zero effect unless I drag my feet...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    You have to bleed it in the proper sequence. If you don't know the sequence, I have a 91 FSM laying around .
    Thanks for the offer, but I have the FSM too. It says RR,LR,RF,LF.

Also,it has s a prop valve and you could have triggered it, its a diagonal split system, so LF/RR are paired and RF/LR paired.
    What can I do if I "triggered" the prop valve? Tap on it?

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

John, you get in the car and stab the brake pedal REAL fast and HARD. This centers the prop valve thingy internally. Do it a couple times. If memory serves me... I think you can almost hear/feel it happen, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Thanks!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Shouldn't the brake light stay on if the prop. valve trips??

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Shouldn't the brake light stay on if the prop. valve trips??

Thanks
    Randy
    Brake warning light is ​on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast