Thread: TBI Vac line routing?

Garrett booster

93 Voyager TBI connector question

Changed the headgasket/timing belt/tensioner on my 93 voyager TBI. I'm trying to get the vac lines routed correctly but I took it apart in a fever and didn't take any pics for documentation. Just wondering if anyone has pictures or a layout of the lines as they are supposed to be for the emissions and PCV hoses?

Edit: Well, I got the vac lines situated for now, just wondering what the heck this connector goes to, I can't find any thing I disconnected that it goes to. I don't have a good schematic of the wiring system, and I'm at a loss.

Last edited by INVUJerry; 05-19-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Garrett booster

Re: TBI Vac line routing?

Turns out the connector is for EGR, and my van doesn't have it! Got it running today have to replace the cam seal then that'll fix it up for good!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Nice! I loved my tbi/5spd van. I drove it to the track (turbo now) last friday and promptly burned up the clutch, but i was having fun just cruising it home with tbi power, haha. I love 5spd van so much.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Hahaha, nice. What clutch did you have in it, stock?

The stockest! It was a super high miles t1 clutch that's been in 2 cars behind 3 motors since i've had it, and it was used when i got it so i really have no idea how many miles are on it. It was holding up to 16psi on the street but one good slicks launch was all it took to blow right through it. It was slipping pretty bad on the way home from the track until i blew a charge pipe at 20psi on my tbi pistons.

Garrett booster

Had my cam timing off, figured that out when I stopped at a rest area an hour into a 10 hour trip. Moved the cam and finished the ride! Picked up my brother's band since their van broke down outside of Pittsburgh. Good times. It could really use some more power heading up and over the mountains out here.

Well if you do what i did the turbo swap is pretty easy. Hell, i just swapped turbo and manifolds without taking the head off on my Shelby Lancer, which would be even easier on a van. So really you wouldnt strictly need to take the head off. I did take my oil pan off to put the oil return in it. Everything else is literally dropping in stock parts. Dunno if a turbo swap is what you're after, though.

There are ways to increase the upper rpm power of the TBI without tearing into the motor but if you want substantially more low rpm power my main thoughts would be higher compression and a long tube header which are tough to find.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Well if you do what i did the turbo swap is pretty easy. Hell, i just swapped turbo and manifolds without taking the head off on my Shelby Lancer, which would be even easier on a van. So really you wouldnt strictly need to take the head off. I did take my oil pan off to put the oil return in it. Everything else is literally dropping in stock parts. Dunno if a turbo swap is what you're after, though.

There are ways to increase the upper rpm power of the TBI without tearing into the motor but if you want substantially more low rpm power my main thoughts would be higher compression and a long tube header which are tough to find.
    I want to do the turbo swap, I'm just worried about the electronics of it, have to do more research, but you and me have been over this in PM lol.

Guess I need to start a project log!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Turbo swap? Dammit Jerry, can't you leave anything stock?! Hehehe. I love the TBI/5-speed cars. They just keep running. My last Daytona had that combo, and I put it in the crusher (for structural reasons) with just under 230k miles on the clock.

If you end up doing the turbo swap, I may have some old 8-valve odds 'n ends that you could have.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Electronics.. oh yeah, i forgot you had a 93.. DERP! It is somewhat complicated depending on what exactly you are willing to give up as far as things working properly. You can slap an 89 or 90 turbo van harness in it and the motor will run, but you have to do some wiring to keep your gauges and other stuff totally functional. Do a search for '95 voyager' and read Strax22's build thread.