Thread: Adapting a PT Turbo harness to an 85 L-Body

Hybrid booster

Adapting a PT Turbo harness to an 85 L-Body

I'm putting a PT Turbo 2.4 in my 85 GLH...I'm just wondering what I'll need to mod in the PT harness and computer to get it all up and running.

What should I do with the skim module? Mount it under the dash and tape the PTs key to it? Or do I need to adapt the PT Cruiser Ignition switch/skim module to the Omni column? What about speed sensor since I'm using a 555? Gauge cluster?

Also, this car is an automatic, will that mess with the computer? I'm not going to have the EVAP solenoid and purge valve, etc, like the PT, I know this will throw a check engine light, but any way around this or any problems that this could cause?

I'd like to keep the body stuff and engine stuff separate if I could. Meaning, stock wiring for lights, wiper, etc....while using the PT Cruiser harness for the engine. Unless I could somehow completely adapt the newer wiring and just cut out the options it doesn't have to completely revamp the Omni's wiring.

Does this sound viable? Is there an easier way to do this? Money is a factor or else I would just go with a standalone system. But affording that is not really an option at the moment.

Any advice would be awesome. I can't wait to get this in the car and get it running, I just want to know what I"m getting into before I dive head first into it.

Thanks!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Adapting a PT Turbo harness to an 85 L-Body

I've seen the SKIM unit mounted remotely, like in the glove compartment, and the OE ignition switch was used to start the car.

The transmission is controlled by the PCM, so I am not sure about trouble codes and stuff.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I've got the manuals for a 2003 PT, what year was the donor car? I can snap a picture of the wiring if you know what parts you'd need to see, or I could make you a deal on the manuals, I actually want/need 2002 it turns out!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Unless you're going to build the car like the red Town & Country wagon with the complete setup installed I wouldn't bother using the PT harness. I think you're going to have too many isuues. The check engine light will always be on for one. You might have an issue if the PCM wants to talk to the BCM and doesn't see one. I think you'd be better off adapting a LM/PM or a SMEC to it.