Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 90 Daytona Autocross Project

Garrett booster

90 Daytona Autocross Project

Hi Guys its been awhile since I've posted, but its time for me to start a new project and with no race tracks left on Long Island here is my project. 1990 Daytona ES 2.5 turbo/523 Black/silver. This car has been sitting around as a parts car that hasn't been touched for about 5 years. Battery and a fuel pump and we have life again. After doing a few burnouts and cleaning the rust off the brakes work begins. First and foremost the point of this car is to build it in true Turbo Dodge fashion cheap, and I have a big big garage full of parts to choose from.

Cost 0$
    -First round of parts
    -11" 89 Shelby spindles/brakes/springs(cut half coil)
    -Strut Tower bar
    -Rear springs cut 1 1/2 coils
    -new shocks
    -removed AC components
    -fuel pump
    -1 1/4 front sway bar
    -15" pumpers with Dunlop FM901 tires(off my CSXt)
    -wideband AEM
    -boost gauge autometer

Had to buy these items
    -New Brake Pads front/rear
    -New Rotors vented Rear
    -New wheel bearings Rear

Hopin to make its first apperance next weekend.

I'm open to feedback or suggestions on the car.

I have a weight loss goal of about 400 lbs.

I will post up some pics of the car in the next couple of days.

Nick A.
    87 csx 561.....owned since 93
    88 CSXt 471 hybred powered drag car
    90 Daytona autocross car

Garrett booster

Re: 90 Daytona Autocross Project

Any suggestions on setup for try and be some what competitive autocrossing this car. Also wondering how far I should mod the car as to what class I will end up in with the car. I'm thinking SP but not sure, and I believe the car falls into H stock?

Done with all the initial work.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice to see you on here Nick, sounds like a fun project!

Sounds like you have a good start. Not sure about the SP rules and how much you can alter interior to reduce weight? Maybe get it out to AutoX for a baseline as you have it?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

You won't be in any stock class with those mods maybe DSP or SMF. Also the best mod you can do is better tires.
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Garrett booster

Which mods would tak me out of stock class right off the bat??

ow;993504]You won't be in any stock class with those mods maybe DSP or SMF. Also the best mod you can do is better tires.[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Bigger brakes, strut bar, sway bar and cut springs would each bump you of stock if memory serves.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

A+++++++ tires an brakes

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Bigger brakes, strut bar, sway bar and cut springs would each bump you of stock if memory serves.
    Actually when I pulled the car apart to do the brakes it already was equiped with the big brakes and 1 1/4" bar, so that was stock. I can understand the cut springs.....but who is going to know they are cut?? I only cut to get original ride height back after pulling weight. Also can't I use any "stock" 1990 Daytona parts on the car and still be stock?

As far as tires, I know they are what I need, but before I buy tires I want to make sure I really like doing this and that I can be competitive with the car. I have a set of 15x7 light weight Boyd wheels, just waiting to have the drag slicks remove and autocross tires put on.

I'm looking to have fun on a budget this year. I've already spent $$$ in the past on my Shelbys, its time I did something different.

Thanks for the feedback keep it coming.

Nick

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

You cant really do significant weight loss in stock class. And unless that thing was reclassed down since my autocrossing days, it was g stock.

Im all for figuring out if you're having fun before dropping tire money, but there's nothing to figure out as far as competitiveness: you WONT be even close unless your local region is just devoid of competition in the class you run. Most places you're not going to take class wins unless you're a good driver in a good car on good tires, and someone who is new to the sport with a stockish 1990 daytona on those tires is not likely to do well unless the class you're in is pretty empty or full of bad drivers.

Im not trying to be a downer, because you can and probably will have tons of fun, but if you're basing anything off being competitive in the short term i think you're shooting yourself in the foot. Just go to have fun and learn for a while before you start getting ambitious (and frustrated) about "winning". In all likelihood you'll probably do better with a well-thought out car in one of the heavily-modded classes than you will do in H or G stock which are full of massively superior autocross cars. The thing about classes that allow lots of mods is that people are more likely to do mods that dont work well, or that they dont know how to drive on, so a good driver in a thoughtfully modded car can get a leg up.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Basically the only mods you can do for stock is struts, cat back, and front or rear sway bar. But for tires you can run DOT slicks.
    1988 Shadow ES 4-door 13.61@98.89 2002 Neon ACR 1989 Shadow ES 4-door 1996 Yamaha FZR 600 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 15.87@85 Stock Pentastar V6 2001 Altima DD

Hybrid booster

Rob Llyod has a good thread on lightening a Daytona in accordance with class rules, granted they are NHRA not SCCA: http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ghtest+daytona

I thought they changed it so that you cant run R-comps in stock classes anymore for this year?

They are phasing them out slowly so I think 2015 is the year they will be gone.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Im not really keeping up with the classing changes but since the OP likely wont be able to stay in stock, he would probably want to try one of the road tire / RT classes, right?

The RT classes are based on the stock class rules so he couldnt run in it with his mods.

Ah, ok. Glad someone in here knows something about new class rules! Im out of the loop.

Garrett booster

so what mods are putting me out of stock classes? The strut tower bar??
    What class would I have the best chance at being competitive? I've been out of the autocross for a long time, I ran 3 events about 7-8 years ago.....
    Can't I use "ANY" factory options from the year car I"m running?

Can I use E85??

I'm open to any suggestions you guys won't hurt my feelings

THanks

Nick

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Nice to see you on here Nick, sounds like a fun project!

Sounds like you have a good start. Not sure about the SP rules and how much you can alter interior to reduce weight? Maybe get it out to AutoX for a baseline as you have it?
    Thanks JT I never left just haven't posted much thats all. My hybred CSXt is up and running, hoping to make SDAC next summer. This year isn't going to work for me.

Nick

Strut tower bar and cut springs, maybe a/c removal and the AEM but I doubt anyone would care on a local level. I'm not sure on the E85 but I don't think it would be legal.
    In stock trim you would be in GS with cars like the SRT4, Fiat Abarth 500, and Genesis Coupe. You wouldn't have much of a chance.
    I run in SMF or Street Modified Front the rules for that class are more forging to turbo dodge guys, basically any motor modifications you want and suspension stuff. The only limitations are interior, you need to have from the driver seats forward stock.

Garrett booster

I knew the springs would be a possible issue. The wideband guage though? really I would have thought gauges would be a non issue. Good info to know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast