Thread: new motor problems need help bad!!!!

Mitsu booster

new motor problems need help bad!!!!

just put in a new motor and now the thing idles but if you hit the gas it stalls or spits and sputters and if you do get it off idle it stumbles and wont rev, i put a new tps on it and nothing i'm stumped and really could use some help!!!91 daytona shelby 2.5 turbo 0.40 over new everything

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: new motor problems need help bad!!!!

Have you attempted to pull the codes?

Did you triple check the cam timing? How is the ignition timing? Plug wires in the right order?

Mitsu booster

checked it 2 times but guess i could try 1 more time wires in the right place it is drivin me nuts because it will start idle great then it wont restart it starts and stumbles ans stalls then it will start again idle run ok till ya hit the gas would it start and run if the timing belt was off?

It can run with the timing out a bit.

Have you double checked that your vac lines are going to the right place? There would probably be a code if you have them hooked up incorrectly at the solenoids, but if there is a minor problem with them it could run well enough to not throw a code I guess.

Mitsu booster

this thing is not even close to stock its running a fwd stage 5 computer and motor is fully built i am new to the turbo game but all the vac line are running of a block and the turbo is on a g valve i dont have any iof the factory stuff hooked up

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

this is the second motor running of the same set up so i know it ran great the same way

Definitely double check the vac lines then. That is a highly likely cause of at least some of these problems.

Hybrid booster

Check http://www.thedodgegarage.com select Turbo Database and then select item 39 "Vacuum Diagrams for 84-93 Turbo Engines" to verify the lines are going to the correct locations. A vacuum block would take the place of "Manifold vacuum/pressure source" in the diagram since it would be connected to the source. Hope this helps.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Did you run the old engine with the new computer? If not, I would highly suggest putting the old setup back in to get it running. If this is the first time for the new computer, did you install the 3 bar MAP, proper sized injectors? Make sure the MAP is getting manifold vacuum, bypass the baro solenoid for now until she runs, you don't want to glaze the rings. Check fuel pressure too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

what's your fuel pressure set at? and what does fuel pressure do when you step on the gas.... how long was the car down not running while you were doing the rebuild? Maybe your fuel pump crapped out? how much vacuum does the gauge register at idle?
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

check your O2 wiring - mine shorted to the frame and caused similar issues