Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SDAC-23… Top Van!!!

Hybrid booster

Re: SDAC-23… Top Van!!!

OK - looks like I'm going for it! Got the paint booth lined up for the week of May 20 and the decal guy is going to have the decals ready for me next week.

I pulled the engine and transmission yesterday and got it all torn down. Things look OK, so I'm just going to clean it all up and put new rings/bearings in. Transmission is getting dropped off at Cliffs later this week for complete tare down and rebuild.

So if I can get the van prepped and ready for paint by the 20th, I'm hoping to be done with paint and body work by end of May - that will give me 3 weeks to put the motor back together and install. That's pretty tight seeing as I'll need to rig up an intercooler and get a custom cal done too, but I'm hoping I can get it done!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar
    Damn....the competition is getting fierce...
    And energetic!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    OK - looks like I'm going for it! Got the paint booth lined up for the week of May 20 and the decal guy is going to have the decals ready for me next week.

I pulled the engine and transmission yesterday and got it all torn down. Things look OK, so I'm just going to clean it all up and put new rings/bearings in. Transmission is getting dropped off at Cliffs later this week for complete tare down and rebuild.

So if I can get the van prepped and ready for paint by the 20th, I'm hoping to be done with paint and body work by end of May - that will give me 3 weeks to put the motor back together and install. That's pretty tight seeing as I'll need to rig up an intercooler and get a custom cal done too, but I'm hoping I can get it done!
    AJ told me he has a S60/20% injector 2.5 cal that had his van running really strong, um before he went all SRT4 that is IT's the call I'm gonna use in Woody when the head gasket finally goes and the new top end parts go on He'll share

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

What was the boost limit in that cal?
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    What was the boost limit in that cal?
    Great question for AJ, send him a PM...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Updated post 1 with Auto X info...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

What is stock ride height for a van?

Good question. You got a stocker in your fleet to measure? Maybe we can measure Joe's before we lower it...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Does polybushings, front konis, HD springs (stock ride height),
    And in the rear Ranch shocks, polybushings, helper coils and stock leaf springs
    Along with completely removed rear interior (lightened)
    Qualify?
    I'm an auto anyway, so autox times would probably suck.
    Wayne H.

I think it would. Do you have pics before and after that I could send the safety crew?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Don't have any before pics, only after.
    Wayne H.

boostaholic

Don't make me throw a turbo on this and kick all your azzes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b350 van.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	45028

You know, the reality of my situation has been sinking in and the more I think about it I'm starting to get depressed.
    At this point there is just no way I can have Mini back together and ready to drive 10 hrs and race.
    I've just got too much that needs to be done and I should get my turbo and a couple other tidbits needed to complete the motor sometime next week most likely. I will literally have about 4-5 days I can even work on it from now until it'll be time to leave. I've been working on restoring her and some upgrades and to try and get her to an SDAC national for the last 2+ years. It's really got me bummed out.
    The backup plan was to have Slugmobile ready also, and although she is together, she hasn't had anything more than some break-in driving and mild boosting. I'm about to try and check out the recent leaking studs repair and see if everything looks good.
    She hasn't had any racing since SDAC 13. I guess at this point I need to decide if I want to try and make it with Slug, and if I should try to race. She hasn't been checked out for her current state of Gus tuning, but hopefully she is close. She also still has a few straggling items that need addressed.
    If I thought she was good to go for racing, I'd still have to get some new slicks.
    Its just been a long and arduous road and once again my big plans have been thwarted by life/fate/luck.
    Wayne H.

Totally understand where you're at Wayne, I haven't had any time to work on my car yet this year either. Hope you can make it out no matter what you bring

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

I'm in the same boat, there is no way I'll have the ability to collect everything I need and have time to get it done with just over 4 weeks to go. I'm thinking of borrowing a dolly and towing it to the show so everyone can see the progress first hand since I'm so close.

We have had WIP's at SDAC shows before

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

So I wrote up a whole new thread in the project log section last night (I uploaded pictures and everything), and then I accidentally closed the browser while I was previewing the post!!! Oh well - I'll try again tomorrow!

Van is coming along - dropped it off for final sanding/primer and paint yesterday. Supposedly it will be ready on Friday. I've got some new turn signal/parking lenses on the way and Wayne was nice enough to let go of a good set of window scrapers. So those pieces, along with fresh trim paint on around the windows etc. should compliment the new paint nicely. This is the first car that my buddy John isn't painting for me (and I've had a lot painted...LOL), so I'm hoping it comes out OK.

I'm going to let the van sit inside the trailer for a week while I get all the parts I just ordered, and I'll work on getting the motor together. That way the paint will have a little time to harden before I start messing with the reassembly. Not to mention, the pollen and oak tree droppings are nasty right now, so I don't really want the van sitting out in that with fresh paint.

Had a bummer of an incident this week though. I removed the interior hatch trim to get at the nuts that hold the liftgate license plate trim on, and I dropped the trim piece! It basically cracked in half so that the entire part the surrounds the window separated from the bottom part that has the lights and speakers. One of the speaker grill covers took some damage too. I doubt I'll ever find a replacement, so I'm going to try some plastic epoxy and see what happens!

Jon

boostaholic

Amy Schumer is hot for Mini's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amy schumer mini.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	45175

Beige interior Jon?
    I don't remember if there's one in the yard nearby. I know red and grey and a blue one.

If you want a new front bumper, I have 2. One chrome steel replacement and MeanMini's original aluminum bumper that was rechromed. I only wanted it zinc plated to match the original, but it got triple chrome plated by the look of it. Good enough for concours judging!
    Wayne H.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast